Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:53:19 PM
714456 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tonight's Rentals: American Movie, Waiting For Guffman « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tonight's Rentals: American Movie, Waiting For Guffman  (Read 1087 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: June 13, 2003, 01:56:45 PM »

Two indie flicks for me tonight!  Have heard fantastic things about both.  

I am especially looking forward to American Movie.  I have seen bits of it on the IFC before, but have never really had the time to actually sit down and watch the entire film.  It's a documentary about a 30 something guy who wants to make his own B&W horror film.  He exploits his family and friends until he finally realizes that his idea is ridiculious and decides to make a short horror film called Coven instead.  Have read fantastic reviews about this film and have heard great word of mouth about it as well.  Anyone seen it?  Any good?  Does it have the Sundance version of Coven on the DVD?

Waiting For Guffman looks to be a pretty decent flick as well.  You can't go wrong with Christopher Guest at the helm, and Eugene Levy co writing.  I do believe this one will be fantastic.  Anyone have any comments on it?

Also, as an extra, I have "Bowling For Columbine" on a CD.  Plan on buring it to a VCD tonight.  This is the one film that I have been looking forward to seeing more than any other this year.  (Yes, even more than 28 Days Later).  Will let everyone know how this one is on Monday.  I'm sure it'll be perfect much like Moore's other two film ventures, Roger & Me and the hilarious The Big One.  Doesn't get much better.

Everybody, have a great weekend!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 02:33:59 PM »

I bought WAITING FOR GUFFMAN on DVD a month or two ago. If you are a fan of Christopher Guest's movies, you will love it. I thought it was hilarious.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Bmeansgood
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 10:27:28 PM »

American Movie is a great movie and the DVD does have a copy of Coven on it.  By the way, go to AmericanMovie.com and there is a phone number where you can actually call Mike Schank.
Brock
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 11:37:55 PM »

I LOVE "Waiting for Guffman"...the 'Nothing Ever Happens on Mars' song is just too priceless...gets me every time.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 10:04:14 AM »

American Movie is great, especially any of the scenes with Mike and with Uncle Bill.  

Guffman was okay, but if you've seen one of those you've seen them all, and it's not as good as Best in Show.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 08:31:01 AM »

American Movie-My God this movie was amazing!  I now have given up all hope of EVER  making any type of film.  Although the film was funny throughout, it eventually turned into quite a sad film.  Watching Mark completely ignore his kids to make his film was painful, but atleast Mike was there to cheer me up.  Mike was by far the greatest part of this film.  He can hardly speak and he adds a perfect amount of comic relief to the film.  Overall,  I really enjoyed American Movie.  Plan on owning it someday on DVD.

Coven-Coven is Mark Borchardt's short film which most of American Movie is dedicated to.  It is 36 minutes of boring dialouge, and a non interesting plot.  Not nearly as good as American Movie.  

Waiting For Guffman-Eugene Levy is by far one of the funniest men to grace our theater screens in years.  The man is a genius!  His Johnny Carson impersinations had me on the floor laughing.  Great stuff!  Christopher Guest was fanastic as well, as the obviously homosexual director of the musical.  Throughout I felt that there was something missing, but I have yet to figure out what.  Being a huge fan of musicals myself, this one cracked me up more than once.  Especially the penis reduction conversation.  Classic!

Bowling For Columbine-Have only watched about 45 mins of this so far, and all I can say is "WOW".  This film is purely amazing.  I've always liked Moore's films and TV shows, especially TV Nation, but this is by far the best thing I have EVER seen from him.  The film will go from lighthearted (a piece about a dog shooting his owner, great!) to happy gun owners with their prized weapons.  The film will then shift to people commiting suicide and murders with guns and eventually the second plane hitting the WTC.  Can't wait to watch the rest.  Will give you guys a heads up on this film later this week.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 11:22:41 AM »

Saw FRIENDS FOREVER--bizarre shot-on-video documentary about a noise band duo that tours the country with their dogs and their flaky lighting girl in a beat-up VW van and plays their shows in parking lots inside said van, with lots of smoke and pyrotechnics and bizarre antics.  It gets dull in spots, but is hilarious otherwise, especially when they do a show outside Troma studios.

The DVD menu screens are also funny--I can't believe I'm saying this but even if you don't like the movie you'll probably like the menu screens and their weird soundtrack.    

People who like American Movie or the Christopher Guest mockumentaries might enjoy this--it has a lot of the same feeling, but is more raw.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2003, 11:31:01 AM »

Might actually have to rent that.  Sounds great!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tonight's Rentals: American Movie, Waiting For Guffman « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.