Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:58:58 AM
714522 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  It's Made from People! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: It's Made from People!  (Read 2684 times)
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2003, 02:22:00 AM »

The problem with eating people, as presented in Lucifer's Hammer (excellent book for those not familiar, check it out), is that eating ourselves is a major disease vector because we're all susceptible to the germs we're all susceptible too.  You'd have to cook the hell out of that meat.
If those meddling science jerks brought an alien back to Earth, it would wipe out the whole human race.  Think about what happened to the shake 'n' bake colony on LV246.
And John Hammond didn't get any jail time in Jurassic Park because he was eaten by a pack of compsygnathus.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
JohnL

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2003, 03:20:22 AM »

>You'd have to cook the hell out of that meat.

Or irradiate it.

It's strange that this was posted, because I was actually thinking of posting something similar about The Matrix.

We're automatically supposed to side with neo and the rebels because being used by machines is wrong, but is the Matrix such a bad thing? Ok, maybe it's not so great as-is, but what if users could customize their own personal part of the Matrix to whatever they wanted? In the first movie, agent Smith tells Morpheus that people weren't fooled by the first version of the Matrix because it was too perfect, but that's only because they were TRYING to fool them and people started wondering what was wrong with 'reality'. What if they simply told the people, "You're in a computer simulation, you have the power to change your world and make it anything you like."? Then you would have no disease, no crippling injuries, no need to work unless you wanted to, and the machines would take care of you. When you think about it, the Matrix is an act of consideration by the machines, since they could just give everyone a lobotomy leaving them brain dead but alive.

What are Neo and the others going to wake people up to? Ruined cities, starvation, disease...

If the machines had just offered to hook people up to a system where they could have the equivalent of the Star Trek holodeck 24 hours a day for the rest of their lives, I think they would have had more volunteers than they knew what to do with.
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2003, 07:44:14 AM »

Apropos The Matrix, I'd nominate the Keanu Reeves character in "Speed".  He causes hundreds of millions of dollars worth of damage when a paltry few million would have paid off the ransom and saved the city from raising taxes by 1000% to repair things.

And don't get me started on John Cusack's character in "Con Air" ...

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
Neville

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2003, 09:28:46 AM »

What about Ahnold in "Collateral damage"? Just because he needs t ohave revenge he causes the deaths of the character by John Leguizamo, then causes a whole colombian village to be bombed, and ends up causing the deaths of a couple FBI agents and security guards in the third act of the movie. And is he sent to jail? No! He is even allowed to keep the terrorists' child!

About the eating humans part, I am with Paquita. I mean, not the whole human-farm stuff, but the fact that I wouldn't think twice about eating a human entrecote if the alternative was starvation. After all, its just meat.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2003, 10:01:58 AM »

Yeah, apart from the rioters scooped up by the trucks, everyone eaten in Soylent Green either died of natural causes or voluntary euthanasia. No murder or people farming there. Small comfort, I know, but we are talking about extreme circumstances.

Funny, I had thought about the disease factor myself (Niven is one of my favourite authors). I suppose whatever is required to reduce a human body to little green wafers will probably kill anything in it. I do kind of wonder whether, with people eating people who ate people, and no balance in the diet, whether the nutritional value and health of the population would gradually decline. Consider also that the calories are being burned, but there are few crops to store the sun's energy in new food.

Of course, that brings us to the question of whether the system in Soylent Green is sustainable. Definitely not. I think they're just prolonging the inevitable at that point. That's what is really horrifying about the ending - things are beyond repair, and extinction (or at least the collapse of civilization) is just around the corner.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2003, 01:53:56 AM »

Yeah, eventually they're either going to have to start breeding human foodstock, or just go extinct.  That movie was really depressing.  They did dystopia right.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  It's Made from People! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.