Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:35:51 AM
714471 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  It's official - Dawn is breaking... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It's official - Dawn is breaking...  (Read 874 times)
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 16, 2003, 07:42:37 PM »

The remake of Dawn of the Dead is now filming in and around Toronto (currently doubling as Wisconsin).  Interestingly, the movie seems to be borrowing plot elements from both Philip Nutman's Romero inspired novel Wet Work and the game/movie Resident Evil.

I think this one is going to create some real which one is better rumbles in the future!

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 09:26:23 PM »

Why does it have to be a remake?! Why can't they just make ANOTHER dead people movie!?  They can call it "Afternoon of the Dead" or "Evening of the Dead" or "Tea with the Dead" or "I Love the Dead" and have Alice Cooper do the soundtrack!? Are they just so lazy that they can't make up another movie based on Dawn of the Dead? They have to remake it as if it were imperfect the first time?! Isn't anyone creative anymore?

I'm more afraid of actually liking it! Then I have to tell people I like Dawn of the Dead and Dawn of the Dead. Or! I'll really hate it! Then everytime I say I like Dawn of the Dead I have to explain which one it is!

What if one day, many, many, years from now... ALL movies are remakes! Remakes of remakes of remakes until no one knows for sure which movie is the original!? IF the original even exists anymore! The world's gonna become some horrible negative utopia where everything is a copy claiming to be better than the original and were all gonna DIE!!!!! but really fast and painful! and lots of people will be sad! and it wont be good! and all our national parks are gonna be named after cell phone companies! and were gonna EAT NICE OLD PEOPLE LIKE IN SOYLENT GREEN AND NO ONES GONNA CARE!!
love colleen
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 09:50:47 PM »

Everything will be lowered to a SNL skit, like Phil Hartman running through various skits dressed up like Chuck Heston in SG and shouting "Soylent Green is people!".

The irony is that Romero can't get funding for his fourth dead movie Dead Reckoning and his former business partner can get funding for a remake from a major studio.  Why?  More people recognize the name Dawn of the Dead than Romero.  Who?  You know, the guy that made Night of the Living Dead.  But it's nice to know that most people have to clarify that they are talking about the remake when they talk about the remake, they just can't say Night of the Living Dead.  Same will go for Dawn.

My big fear is that it will be PG-13 mass market Goosebumps style horror and not even attempt at being witty, satiric, or even scary.  Sadly Romero was disrespected when he delivered a script for Resident Evil that was too much of a 'traditional' horror movie.  The producers wanted mass market Goosebumps style mallrat horror and that is just what they got.  Now they are funding a sequel to a movie not many people liked to begin with.

Coming Soon Hulk Vs Nemesis.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 11:18:19 PM »

X-MEN vs. BATMAN vs. ALIENS vs. PREDATOR
Coming soon!

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 01:28:25 AM »

I'm willing to give it a chance, but I'm hesitant just giving the lousy state of horror movies these days, especially those that are remakes or are based on some outside material.  

I like the original, but I'm one of the few who thinks it had flaws--I thought the acting was less than spectacular, and the pacing wasn't so hot.  If someone could do a version that was exciting, had good zombie effects [some of the zombie makeup being another problem of the original, probably due to low budget] and didn't hit you over the head with attempts at social commentary, it might be worth seeing.  
But odds are it will probably be more like Chadzilla says.

And personally, after seeing BRUISER I don't think I want to see anyone giving George Romero money to do anything other than to stop making movies.
Wycked Nick
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 03:14:16 AM »

I swear to god if that f**ker Paul Anderson does that movie Im going to kill him.(if you havn't noticed I really really hate him you can see it some of my past posts)
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 07:15:14 AM »

Paquita - Wycked Nick - count to ten, take a deep breath and consume a chill-pill.  There - feel better?

Chadzilla - Wow!  Hulk vs. Nemesis!  Excellent!  Is there a website for this?  Who's directing it?  Who's starring in it? Who - oh. Oh, I see. Not really.  Aha.

Personally, I'm holding out for Abbot & Costello Vs. Frankenstein, maybe with Dracula and the Wolfman thrown in, if they can get studio permission.

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 07:50:04 AM »

Ever since I heard this flick was going to be made, I've been....well....excited.  Come on guys!  I love Dawn Of The Dead, it's one of my favorite horror films, but don't you atleast think this remake will be fun????

I'm 100% against a PG-13 rating.  Horror should never be rated PG-13 (except for The Ring).  I have a feeling that this one might actually be done right.  

Who knows, we may get a classic out of this!

That's my two cents.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2003, 11:40:51 AM »

The plot too closely resembles the novel Wet Work and even Maximum Overdrive for my comfort.  It has been described as such...A plague kills a large part of the population.  The problem is they won't stay dead.  A group of survivors gather in a mall to form a new soceity before heading for an island rumored to be zombie free.

Also this is coming from a major studio (Universal), so this will no doubt be a mass market mallrat horrorshow (i.e. looking just like Resident Evil or They or The Ring).  It might have some moments, but only those interested in the movies they watch looking slick and expensive (and completely lacking in personality) will think this is classic.  Say what you want about Romero's movies, at least he kept the real fans in mind when he made them.  This will be a movie made for the mass audience.  I'll go see it, but I doubt I will like it very much.

Post Edited (06-17-03 11:42)

Chadzilla
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  It's official - Dawn is breaking... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.