Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:39:43 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Punisher Movie « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Punisher Movie  (Read 2373 times)
Neon Noodle
« on: June 21, 2003, 08:59:56 AM »

So will it be better than the Dolph version?

As long as the beginning and end credits don't have a crosseyed naked man in the sewers, it could tip the scales!
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2003, 01:52:20 PM »

Is there any way that it could be worse?  I mean, c'mon, the Dolph version - all due respect to the muscle bound mechanical engineer - SUCKED DOO DOO.  It just did.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2003, 02:00:24 PM »

C'mon, why do so many people hate the Dolph version?  I mean, what exactly were you expecting?  Yeah, we could've done without the continuous shots of Dolph waxing philosophical while naked in the sewers.  Otherwise, it was a great mindless action movie.  Just like many other Dolph flicks.  Maybe that's why everyone hates it.  I'm just curious as to why everyone thinks it sucks.  I mean, I know a majority of people hate it, but they never say why exactly.

By the way, the new one has a potential to be better.  I heard it wasn't gonna rely on CGI, and that it was going to be a throwback to the old revenge driven action movies.  Some people might see this as a bad thing.  But I'm sure it's gonna be Rated R.  Hell, it HAS to be Rated R.  I'm 50/50 on Thomas Jane as the Punisher.  I think the fact that Travolta is the main villain in the movie is awesome, but a lot of people hate him too.  If he's anywhere near as good a villain as he was in Face/Off, this movie has potential to rock.  Who knows though, it's too early to tell, and the teaser trailer that's out on the 'Net doesn't show too much.  I'll be looking forward to the movie in the meantime, though.

What do you guys think?

Nick
Feathertop
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2003, 03:01:59 PM »

I agree about not understanding what people hate about the Dolph Lundgren version. I've seen PUH-LEN-TEE of worse action movies.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2003, 04:07:18 PM »

The Dolph version would have been pretty good if they had a different actor in the role. It isn't a bad action movie, but Dolph's acting is about as boring as you can get.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2003, 11:23:33 PM »

John travolta is such a ham he wont even be a decent villan. I'll pay just to see his ass die. hopefully thee screenwriter was able to put togetehr a decent story at the very least. I am hoping that the movie is very dark and bloody, if they get that right and a decent story then I can sit back and relax.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2003, 01:06:25 PM »

sorry, but a guy who used to dance around to the bee-gees in vinyl pants just doesn't scare me.Dolph Lundgren wrote:

> C'mon, why do so many people hate the Dolph version?  I mean,
> what exactly were you expecting?  Yeah, we could've done
> without the continuous shots of Dolph waxing philosophical
> while naked in the sewers.  Otherwise, it was a great mindless
> action movie.  Just like many other Dolph flicks.  Maybe that's
> why everyone hates it.  I'm just curious as to why everyone
> thinks it sucks.  I mean, I know a majority of people hate it,
> but they never say why exactly.
>
> By the way, the new one has a potential to be better.  I heard
> it wasn't gonna rely on CGI, and that it was going to be a
> throwback to the old revenge driven action movies.  Some people
> might see this as a bad thing.  But I'm sure it's gonna be
> Rated R.  Hell, it HAS to be Rated R.  I'm 50/50 on Thomas Jane
> as the Punisher.  I think the fact that Travolta is the main
> villain in the movie is awesome, but a lot of people hate him
> too.  If he's anywhere near as good a villain as he was in
> Face/Off, this movie has potential to rock.  Who knows though,
> it's too early to tell, and the teaser trailer that's out on
> the 'Net doesn't show too much.  I'll be looking forward to the
> movie in the meantime, though.
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Nick
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2003, 03:09:36 PM »

Dolph Lundgren wrote:

> C'mon, why do so many people hate the Dolph version?  I mean,
> what exactly were you expecting?  Yeah, we could've done
> without the continuous shots of Dolph waxing philosophical
> while naked in the sewers.  Otherwise, it was a great mindless
> action movie.  Just like many other Dolph flicks.  Maybe that's
> why everyone hates it.  I'm just curious as to why everyone
> thinks it sucks.  I mean, I know a majority of people hate it,
> but they never say why exactly.
>

You're right, I'm not being fair.  If I say I don't like a movie, I should say why.

ACTING:  Horrible.  It wasn't just Dolph, who played the role exactly as one might expect him to.  Everyone else was bad, too.

STORY:  Or, rather, the lack there of.  Not that I was expecting much from the Punisher movie, but a little would have been nice.

ACTION:  Bad, bad, bad action sequences.  It wasn't that they were poorly done so much as they weren't exactly exciting.

LOYALTY:  This is the big one.  It was about as loyal to the source material as the Captain America movie - and at least that piece of crap got the costume right.  It looked silly, but it was accurate.

Now, don't get me wrong, I derive a certain amount of entertainment from it, in as much as I can make fun of it.  But don't pretend it was a GOOD movie.  It just wasn't.  But, the, that's what this site is all about, right - bad movies?

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
DARKWOLF
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2003, 06:58:28 PM »

I agreed with you about the outfit Grumpy they should made him into The Punisher not a homeless guy. A bad mistake I will never forget renting those two crappy movies.
Damien01
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2003, 09:24:32 AM »

Dolph's movie is very good... sadly its not a real Punisher movie... but an action movie that they decided to make it into a Punisher movie...

It would of been better if Dolph had that skull on his shirt... otherwise it seems to hard to think of it being based from the comic book, because it seems so much like any other movie that Dolph is in... (Shoot them up and like God sort them out)
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2003, 03:33:19 PM »

Okay, I can see where you guys are coming from.  Perhaps it's my Dolph bias that causes me to defend this movie.  File it under guilty pleasures for me.  I agree with what Damien says, it pretty much is just an all out Dolph action movie, with the whole Punisher theme as window dressing.  Hopefully the new one will be more faithful.. but I'm still convinced that Dolph IS the Punisher.  And the Punisher was one of Dolph's earliest starring roles.  I'm not saying that Dolph is like Pacino now in terms of acting, but I think he'd do a better job nowadays.

Nick
Damien01
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2003, 04:05:37 PM »

Well, I do like the movie (I think Dolph's Punisher and I Come In Peace are very underrated action flicks... and a must see for any action movie fan.)

And I do think... The Frank Castle and Punisher was in mind of Dolph's movie... but I dont know if the script writers didnt read the comic book (as similar to the D&D movie), or Marvel tried to pull the Punisher project from then and Dolph and friends seems to be working on the project... I kind of think Marvel tried to pull the project, as they seems to be giving movie rights and taking them away just as fast... And I do think that was durring the time when many of Marvel artist were moving to other comics like Image. And if Marvel did try to pull the Punisher movie plug, it would make much sense on why the movie seems to be so much half hack, and made within a few days then (I wouldnt be suprised if it took them 1 week to make... Ok, now that is funny when you think of it... but, it could of happen.)
Neon Noodle
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2003, 09:24:56 PM »

I guess my personal bias was, I bought the Punisher bootleg style before it came out, thinking that I got a real find. Unfortunately, the flaws were too difficult to suspend my disbelief; most of which have already been mentioned (i.e. choppy action, vague storyline, etc).

No question though, The Punisher is fairly straightforward with his ideals of vengeance and retribution. It's a role that Dolph Lundgren melded right into, and considering the material he had to work with; I think he did okay. Without a strong financial backing behind the production, though, comic book movies  are doomed to failure. That's what happened with the one in the 90's - here and gone in a flash.

I was looking for more of a crossbreed between the action scenes in The Terminator, and the attitude Brosnan nailed in Death Wish for the 90's Punisher film. Perhaps the Millenium version will be better at getting the character nailed down with an enjoyable supporting cast (I always envisioned John Candy playing Microchip, now it'll have to be Drew Carey). Also, I agree, it should be rated "R".
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Punisher Movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.