Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:15:28 AM
714432 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Do you catalogue your movies? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Do you catalogue your movies?  (Read 3301 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2003, 01:07:02 PM »

I've outgrown so much shelving, it's ridiculous. My collection was split between some wall shelvesm, an old bookshelf, top of the dresser, etc.

Buying a house last year, I finally got to do what I've wanted to do for a while. I'm a pretty fair carpenter, so I bought a bunch of pine and molding and stain, etc., and built a built-in bookcase in the rec room. It runs floor to ceiling, covering one wall. It's divided up the middle, with half the shelves spaced wider for books and half spaced just enough for video boxes. With our combined collections, Lori and I easily filled the book half (after making some tough choices), and the video half is about 80% full, with room to grow.

No catalogue, but they're all in one place, and somewhat organized by genre, star, franchise, etc.

Post Edited (06-17-03 13:09)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Damien01
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2003, 01:40:24 PM »

I live with almost 800 movies in the basement, and they are listed by action, horror, SF, comedy, drama, and other... and they are numbered...

My DVD collection is only 10 movies and I dont need to worrie about them as of yet
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2003, 01:57:41 PM »

ANDYC wrote:

"I've outgrown so much shelving, it's ridiculous."

I feel your pain. I used to have DVDs and CDs on my bookcases. Now, the DVDs are taking over and I have been slowly removing the CDs to free up some more space!

I have 5 bookcases lined up along the wall. Each one holds approximately 300 DVDs. Right now, about 3 1/3 of them are full of DVDs and 1 2/3 are full of CDs. If I move all of the CDs out, I will be able to store about 500 more DVDs. At my current buying pace, I will need another bookcase in 2 years or less.

The problem is, where the hell do I put my CDs?

The only answer is to buy a bigger house.

Post Edited (06-17-03 13:58)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Susan
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2003, 06:47:37 PM »

I'm really the biggest loser, i have a  webpage listing all my movies with poster images and comments. But only I access it, it's sort of how i browse through and pick out what i feel liek watching vs. actually getting up and going over to the shelf.

;-)

Neon Noodle
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2003, 09:34:12 PM »

I used to try and catalogue by genre, but that all changed when I got married and we had a child. Alphabetical is the only way to go because when we had people visit, they could never find anything. I have about 1/2 of the collection on DVD now and I am phasing out my vhs (but not the original Star Wars, that's in the collection forever).

When someone asks for Army of Darkness, I have to explain that it isn't next to Evil Dead 1 and 2 because I don't organize by genre anymore.
I also can't break up certain sets (Memento, Se7en, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter) because the box sets are really nice and it would be confusing as hell to the layperson. For instance, guests would attempt to grab disc 2 and pick up the supplementary disc instead, which makes me nuts.....

Short answer, I group alphabetically. Someday genre will come back into play, but not for a while....
The Burgomaster

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2003, 01:54:59 PM »

Neon Noodle wrote:

"Short answer, I group alphabetically. Someday genre will come back into play, but not for a while...."

I struggle so much with this, but my collection is (and will probably always be) organized alphabetically.

Genres are sometimes hard to pin down. For instance, would KELLY'S HEROES be grouped with "war movies" or "comedies?" Would AMERICAN GRAFFITI be grouped with "dramas" or "comedies?" Would JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH be "sci-fi," "drama," or "adventure?"

If you alphabetize, there should be no question where to find the movie.

Of course, that also causes problems. I have the entire TWILIGHT ZONE collection (which is in with my "T" movies). But I also have MORE TREASURES FROM THE TWILIGHT ZONE, which should be alphabetized under "M," but logically belongs with the rest of the TWILIGHT ZONES.

I guess I'll be frustrated no matter what I do . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
raj

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2003, 02:10:49 PM »

I'd just stick More Twilight next to the regular Twilight.  Generally I place part IIs and such right next to the first.  You're right genres are much tougher.  Is Alien a sci-fi or horror (yes, it is.)

What I find frustrating is alphabetizing my records.  Do The Hassles and Attila go next to Billy Joel (his earlier groups) and what about The Beatles' solo stuff?
Pete B6K
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2003, 01:51:17 PM »

I've got a word file with an alphabetical list of my films, then a 'to buy' list of films with prices next to them.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2003, 02:19:19 PM »

Since I originally posted this thread, I have entered about 99% of my DVDs into an Excel spreadsheet, which is sorted alphabetically by title. Right now, I only have the titles listed. My next step will be to add the actors, genres, MPAA ratings, running times, release years, etc.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Do you catalogue your movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.