Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:54:31 PM
714541 Posts in 53100 Topics by 7746 Members
Latest Member: Bluetoothicb
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Argento's Creepers (a.k.a Phenomena) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Argento's Creepers (a.k.a Phenomena)  (Read 2524 times)
MoonShadow
« on: July 06, 2003, 07:41:59 PM »

Simple question: worth buying? I saw that Jennifer Connelly is in it, so I'm very tempted (**drools**), but I've seen some terrible reviews on this movie on the web. I'm not really familiar with Argento's body of work either (have only seen Suspiria, to be honetst, and found that vaugely frustrating...). What other movies other than Suspiria are good introductions to his stuff? (okay, so there are two simple questions here... sue me ;-)

Ripley: How long before we're declared overdue can we expect a rescue?
Hicks: Seventeen days.
Hudson: Seventeen days? Look man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen hours!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 09:13:00 PM »

This is one of Argento's lesser works, but still has its moments. If you are not familiar with his body of work, this is probably not a good one to start with.

In any event, make sure you watch PHENOMENA, which is the uncut version. CREEPERS is an edited version that was released theatrically in the U.S. It is missing at least 20 minutes (probably more). The story makes very little sense without the missing scenes.

Incidentally, my favorite Argento movies are:

1. DEEP RED
2. THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE
3. TENEBRAE
4. SUSPIRIA

All of his movies are good, but those are my 4 favorites.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Neville

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 09:54:59 AM »

And not that Argento's films make nuch sense either. Seriously, he is known for that. I have only seen his last movie, "Non he sonno", and I thought it was reasonably good. I mean, the plot was mediocre and poorly developed (something about a serial killer in Italy) and the acting was apalling, but the isolated crime scenes ranged from good to wonderful, and the atmosphere was alright. It really seemed that those scenes were the only ones Argento really cared about, even if he had to sacrifice everything else. About "Phenomena", I've heard it is neither one of his best nor of his worse films, so I guess it is worth a look.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 01:28:07 PM »

Argento's best movies were the ones he made during the 1970s. I think he has lost much of his touch.

Many of his older movies are interesting, because he pretty much shows you who the killer is right away (or at least gives you enough evidence to figure it out quickly if you are paying attention). But, he does it in such a way that you don't even notice it. Then at the end, you say to yourself, "wow . . .I never even noticed that!"

In DEEP RED, he actually shows you the killer's face! But it happens fairly quickly, so if you are not looking in the right spot, you won't notice it.

Post Edited (07-07-03 13:29)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 01:44:30 PM »

My first Argento was INFERNO and it hooked me immediately.

His best and most coherent is probably DEEP RED a.k.a. PROFONDO ROSSO, but I really like SUSPIRIA and TENEBRAE too.

Haven't seen PHENOMENA yet, but I would second the motion to avoid the hacked up CREEPERS based on what I've heard of the two versions.
fortunato
Bad Movie Lover

The laziest man on mars.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »

I loved Phenomena.  It was the first Argento movie I remember watching.  I saw a part of it as a kid and it freaked me out.  I've since watched Deep Red (liked it), Tenebrae (didn't care for it), Suspiria (great), Inferno (great), and Mother of Tears (so disappointed).  I also have both his Masters of Horror films, Jenifer (good) and Pelts (great).

Goblins still exist. Your Grandpa Seth is telling you!

Are you nuts? You tryin' ta turn me into a homo?

You're TEARING ME APART, Lisa!

"May I remind you that I am in command here! Only an idiot would attempt such a thing. I will do it myself."
akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 06:27:18 PM »

Phenomena is my favorite Argento movie.   Thumbup  It's well worth a watch.  The main problem with it is that once the third act starts, you realize the preceedeing two acts are rendered pretty much moot.  You could start watching from right then and get 90% of the total effect of the movie.

It's still my favorite Argento movie.  Thumbup

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 06:18:02 AM »

Creepers: Not worth buying.

Phenomenon: Worth it. 

I only recommend it if you're a die hard Argento fan, though.   This films seems to divide them, since this was allegedly the death of his giallo era work.  I've known a lot of people that have said he's just gone steadily downhill after this one.  I watched it with my last roommate and both of us enjoyed a lot. 
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 01:04:12 PM »

I Never Saw The Uncut Version But I Bought The Movie CREEPERS And It Has Been A favorite Of Mine Ever Since

I Love How Dario Argento Blends Raw Gruesome Mind Numbing Horror With Intelligent Mystery And Suspense

And A Heads Up For Dario Argento's Fans , Those A****les From Hollywood Are Planning A Remake Of SUSPIRIA , And Dario Argento Isn't Involved

Neville

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 06:10:15 PM »

A long time has passed since my first post in this thread, and now I'd advise the OP to buy the film. I wouldn't call "Phenomena" a good film even if my life depended on it, but it's a wonderful mix of lots of bizarre stuff. Some work, some don't, but I think Argento was still in fine form when he made it, and it's worth seeing.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Skull
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »

MoonShadow if you like Horror then this would be a fun movie to watch. It's an unusual story of a girl that can communicate with bugs, a serial killer and Donald Pleasence.

IMO both versions are fun to watch, the only problem I had with the movie is the music it seemed too much like Rock-N-Roll fun (although some my find that good) The story itself isnt hard to understand and you dont have to be an Argento fan to enjoy it.

:)

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 05:15:18 PM »

threads getting bumped after a 6 year gap ftw

I'm pretty much with burgomaster, Deep Red, Tenebrae and Bird With The Crystal Plumage are the best. suspiria is good but just a bit too weird for me.

for the record, 'Terror At The Opera' and 'Sleepless' are worth a watch if you like the above mentioned. Argento seemed to go into seriously supernatural territory in the 80's, but he pulled it back to his original giallo/horror style with these two movies...they're not classic but they're good.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Argento's Creepers (a.k.a Phenomena) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.