Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:09:04 PM
714483 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Look out fer flyin styrofoam « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Look out fer flyin styrofoam  (Read 906 times)
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 04, 2003, 04:17:56 AM »

Having seen the 1956 Americanized Godzilla on AMC the other night, I has moment to pause and consider other memorable moments of mass mayhem and general destruction, my favorites being:

Tokyo trounced, film above--actually better in the original Japanese version 2 years earlier

Tokyo again, War of the Gargantuans 1966

NYC, King Kong 1933

Half the planet, The War of the Worlds 1953

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 07:44:38 AM »

onionhead wrote:

> Having seen the 1956 Americanized Godzilla on AMC the other
> night, I has moment to pause and consider other memorable
> moments of mass mayhem and general destruction, my favorites
> being:
>
> Tokyo trounced, film above--actually better in the original
> Japanese version 2 years earlier

I....and many, MANY other people....beg to differ about the Americanized version being BETTER than the 1954 Toho original! That's simply not so.....as much as I can enjoy the reedited version with Raymond Burr, it's widely acknowledged by anyone who has seen the original Japanese version (which I have on an import laserdisc) that the original edition is far SUPERIOR to the recut/hacked up American edition. Aside from the hammy acting of Raymond, the 1956 edition is about 18 minutes SHORTER than the Japanese original.....one character was removed from the original version and entire scenes were cut out, and a couple of other scenes were reedited back into the film in a different order. All of that completely changes the entire tone of the film. The 1954 version is a very serious and heavy message movie....The 1956 recut has half the tone and atmosphere of the original.. You need to go back and reexamine the original Toho version again.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
darkautumn
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 11:06:20 AM »

I caught GKOTM on AMC (which basically sucks now) too, and noticed that the film seemed either time-compressed or speeded up. This is one of my all-time favorite movies, and being pretty familiar with it, it really looked at certain points like it was about to break into a 'Benny Hill' chase sort of thing. When this really started bugging me, I checked the time; the US version of the first 'zilla film clocks in at 78 min. (some sources list 80, but the DVD is exactly 78.) AMC ran it in a 90-min. timeslot WITH commercials (lots of 'em.) Did anyone else notice this? Is this just another example of how absolutely awful AMC has become over the last year?
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 12:21:51 PM »

Forget AMC. The "DeBurred" version is, indeed, far superior. As are all the Toho films. The U.S. version was okey, concitering....but yeah, get the real deal.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 03:14:26 PM »

kriegerg69 replied with:
>>The 1954 version is a very serious and heavy message movie....The 1956 recut has half the tone and atmosphere of the original.. You need to go back and reexamine the original Toho version again.

My implication was that the original 1954 version was superior to the Burr blend.  The original Toho production was a dark comment on the hazards of nuclear weaponry on life, and not as cartoony as the American version turned out to be.

(Brace for responses, now cut to the chase)

ANYWAY. . . .
The point was, what does anybody else have a favorite mass destruction film?
If so, what is it???

Post Edited (08-04-03 15:14)

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 04:30:38 PM »

You know, the movie that jumps to mind is actually after the destruction.  In "Fist of the North Star" there is a shot of a tanker (as in the ship) stuck through a skyscraper.  The tanker must have been empty and the skyscraper made to last, but it is memorable.

Lots of Anime has serious devastation in action.  "Akira" and "Legend of the Overfiend" come to mind.

Along the lines of live action (well, CGI), I am going to vote for the beginning of "LEXX:  I Worship His Shadow."  The Shadow's ship firing those huge energy webs and decimating the planet was a good use of effects.  You really feel it when that last shot hits home.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 02:23:41 AM »

Although you really don't see what happens, Godzilla's first use of his breath weapon in GMK is stunning.  I showed that clip during a presentation I was giving in my Asian film and literature class and several people in the audience actually gasped or said "woah" like a startled Keanu Reeves.  Keep in mind these are people who have no idea Godzilla had any films past '75 and that you can't see the zipper anymore.
Also, every action scene in Gamera 3: Incomplete Struggle dwarfs anything I have ever seen and probably ever will see.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Look out fer flyin styrofoam « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.