Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:36:31 PM
714416 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: New bill makes it a felony to share files « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OT: New bill makes it a felony to share files  (Read 1651 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 17, 2003, 04:57:51 AM »

A new bill introduced by CA Rep. Howard Berman and another idiot would make sharing files a felony by assuming that files available online had been downloaded at least 10 time for a combined value of $2,500(???), which carries a possible 5 year jail sentence!

Bill Would Put Net Song Swappers in Jail
spikesangel
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 10:27:40 AM »

wow, this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard.
this goes in my "stupid" file, right along with the war on drugs.
anything to waste taxpayer money, right?

oh..and..hello again JohnL.

Post Edited (07-17-03 10:29)

..."Tease" - JohnL
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 11:38:47 AM »

Please, please, please, let some Supreme Court judge declare this unconstitutional.  This would be prosecution without evendice of crime - I mean, WTF?

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
spikesangel
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 11:47:01 AM »

i came up with a doozy of an idea.
let's just fill the P2P networks with bogus files with real song and movie names.
de gubment will spend all their time wading through gigs and gigs of fake files, and they'll become laughingstocks.

i'm not waiting around to see the MP3 Czar!

..."Tease" - JohnL
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 01:57:24 PM »

That's actually a really cool idea! I just might record really dumb versions of pop songs (with the same length and file size, of course), and make that folder my only shared one. Not only would I be screwing with the government-- I'd be screwing with mainstream music fans!

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
spikesangel
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 02:16:47 PM »

exactly!
everyone do it!
we all should.
they'll drop this silliness when people who got tired of the wars on drugs and terrorism don't wanna deal with the War on Filesharing.

..."Tease" - JohnL
SkullNinja
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 05:49:20 PM »

The other "idiot" is John Conyers whom I consider an anti-American racist.
Susan
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 07:19:53 PM »

They won't have enough jail cells to put us all in.

I don't get it. I can record all the movies I love off of tv, or songs the radio (it doesn't prevent me from purchasing movies nor music)- are they going to try and pass a law against that? Honestly what's the difference

JohnL

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2003, 06:09:20 PM »

>I don't get it. I can record all the movies I love off of tv, or songs the radio (it
>doesn't prevent me from purchasing movies nor music)- are they going to try
>and pass a law against that?

They're hoping they won't have to. The MPAA and other groups have been pushing hard for video to have some sort of copy protection built into the standard for digital TV. They want there to be a flag that can be turned on and then all recorders will refuse to record it. They also want analog recording devices to have the ability to recognize a digital ' watermark' in the video so for example, a camcorder would refuse to record when pointed at a movie screen. Jack Valenti refers to this as "Plugging the analog hole". I believe the music industry is pushing for the same kind of crippleware to be included in audio devices.

They tried to do this through law a year or two ago with a bill that would require ALL devices capable of playing or recording audio/video to have built-in copy protection. I don't think that bill got very far, so the MPAA and others have been hard at work, holding closed, secret meetings to try and bully the electronics industry into making such things standard. :(
spikesangel
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 09:08:59 AM »

anypone heard of the Fritz Chip or DRM?  Palladium?
this sounds like some new stuff to make sure we get the message...

check it out here: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

what's scary to me is the number of the times they used the word "remote."  that means more than zero times.  who the hell has the right to do anything on my PC from somewhere else?  

and the line here:
"Governments will be able to arrange things so that all Word documents created on civil servants' PCs are `born classified' and can't be leaked electronically to journalists."

yeah, know what?  i don't think so.  the very idea of giving the government the power to take something off a worker's PC like THAT is terrifying to me.  that's just what needs to happen, some civil servant discovers something is amiss in his or her gubment agency.  then, as soon as they find out that s/he has knowledge of this and is prepared to go forward with it, the damn Fritz Chip kicks in and the evidence no longer exists.

would we have even HEARD of Erin Brockovich if her PC (if she had one) had a Fritz Chip in it?  there's plenty in this article about proprietary info.  so crummy companies can also get away with crummy antics.  there's got to be a better way.  at the moment this took is being marketed in 2 different directions, one as a "security measure" and the other as digital protection.  i don't like it.  who would have ever thought the RIAA's b***hing would lead to an eventual loss of our civil liberties.

i'm about to rise up like an old negro spiritual and get mad at de gubment.  for sure.  we can't let them do this to us!

p.s. in case anyone's offended, i am a negro so i use the "negro spiritual" phrase all the time.  i also happen to sing spirituals

..."Tease" - JohnL
wuggles451
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2003, 08:15:12 PM »

From my understaning of this new bill it is only illegal to upload songs and share them i e pulling songs from a cd to share or if you are sharing massive amounts of files technically if you download a song and quit sharing it you wont be penalized

JohnL

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2003, 11:38:52 PM »

>anypone heard of the Fritz Chip or DRM? Palladium?

Yup, in fact I've posted messages on these topics in the past.

I also had an opportunity to exchange email with someone who works for Micro$oft recently and when I asked him about Palladium, he pretty much dismissed all the concerns about it as being alarmist and not based on fact. He didn't seem to want to answer me when I asked if users would be able to turn these features off, or have the option to not install those components at all. When I pressed him, he said he didn't know for sure, but he said he'd guess that users would be able to turn them off.

His opinion was that while the 'trusted' computer would technically make all those things possible, users shouldn't worry about them because companies and the government would be too afraid of the public backlash to actually do any of them. Personally, I'm not convinced.

>From my understaning of this new bill it is only illegal to upload songs and share
>them i e pulling songs from a cd to share or if you are sharing massive amounts
>of files technically if you download a song and quit sharing it you wont be
>penalized

Yes, it sounds like it only affects those who put the files up for downloading, but the way I understand it, anyone who makes copyrighted files available for download would be at risk. True, they might not go after smaller collections, but who knows where the cutout point would be? 50 files? 30? 10?
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2003, 12:00:25 AM »

Personally I think it's funny......

Remember on the other thread how so many of you were against this kind of thing? (piracy & downloaded files)

A lot of you remarked on how you support artists rights and such.

Now on this thread you are all for piracy!

Well which is it!?
spikesangel
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2003, 03:23:19 PM »

umm, the files don't have to be available for upload, so to speak.
if you happen to be a computer newbie and rip a CD for backup or something, then get online with a broadband connection and your filesharing is open, you're guilty.
the files do NOT have to be uploaded to anything.  all they have to be is on your PC in a plce where someone can access them.  period.

..."Tease" - JohnL
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: New bill makes it a felony to share files « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.