Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:24:44 PM
714501 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Drive-In Dining « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Drive-In Dining  (Read 1787 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: July 09, 2003, 08:33:29 AM »

Ashthecat's post on sneaking food into theatres got me thinking about this. What is the most interesting food you've seen someone bring to a drive-in movie?

I usually don't bring much, because I love drive-in concession food, in spite of the prices. There's something about taking a walk in the dark to the building with the burgers and fries and corn dogs and onion rings, etc. However, my friends and I often showed up with the basic bags of chips and bottles of pop. A cooler of beer might have occasionally found its way into the trunk.

Some people are more creative. When I was a kid, my family used to go to the local drive-in about once a summer. Driving a Suburban, we parked in the back, with the other larger vehicles. One time, a family in an RV parked beside us. They unloaded a gas barbecue (fairly new at that time), and fired up the propane stove inside. We watched them prepare steak, baked potatoes and corn on the cob. It was a good use of time, allowing them to have a good dinner, get there early, and kill time before sundown. Nice people too. Brought us some corn.

On a side note, my wife and I went to the drive-in just last weekend, with a friend of mine and my wife's much younger sister who had never been to a drive-in before (what a deprived generation this is). We saw the In-Laws and Terminator 3. Enjoyed both (well, I did).

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 08:45:35 AM »

I too can say that I've never been to a drive in movie.

It's always been a dream of mine to actually see Evil Dead at a drive-in.  That would be so awesome.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 09:52:20 AM »

I never bring food to the drive-in. I always buy the rotten food from the concession stand. My favorites are:

* Stale popcorn

* Dried-up hot dogs that have been sitting under the heat lamp

* Hockey-puck style hamburgers

* Ice cream bars with freezer burn

When I was a kid, I went to a drive-in that served "clam cakes." They were fried, greasy little bit-sized things that were similar to fried clams, except that they were shaped more like Chicken McNuggets.

Please note that ALL of the food groups are represented in the above listing:

* Fat
* Cholesterol
* Sodium
* Sugar
*Carcinogens

Very nutritious.
* Carcinogens

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 12:44:57 PM »

I've been lucky enough to live in an area where the drive-in is alive and well. There used to be one the next town over from me; it closed last year, but fortunately there's still one about half an hour away. I'm kicking myself, though, for not checking to see if House of 1000 Corpses played there.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Pumaman1138
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 09:58:27 PM »

Darn ... where do you folks live ... last rememberence of mine at a Drive-In
was the 1970s ..(I'll be 36 in December) .

I saw a live action  Disney film .. we weren't lucky enough to be near people sneaking food in ....

>>> Mike
Susan
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 10:12:01 PM »

No drive-ins here, not in some time. But back in the day when I was a kid we'd go in our PJ's with a bucket of KFC. We weren't the lawnchair kind of people either. I'm nostalgic about it but I still don't forget how hot it was, how bad the sound was...but I liked rainy nights. And sometimes staring off at what was playing on other screens. I feel bad for kids today with their multiplexes, it may offer the best sound and visual experience but there was something to be said about the experience of a drive-in back in it's heyday.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 08:25:43 AM »

Pumaman1138 wrote:

"Darn ... where do you folks live ... last rememberence of mine at a Drive-In
was the 1970s ..(I'll be 36 in December) . "

I am 39 years old and I live in Massachusetts. When I was a kid, there were probably 6 or 8 drive-ins within close range of my house. Now, the 2 closest drive-ins are about 45 minutes to an hour away. I try to go at least once every summer, but the magic is gone . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Goreomedy
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 04:51:46 PM »

In Oklahoma City, we've got a Drive-In called "The Winchester", a giant neon Cowboy sign greets you at the entrance.

Prices do keep me from going to the concession stand, but I usually bring a 2 liter of pop and some microwave popcorn which was popped just prior to the drive(wrapping it in foil keeps it hot).

Just the other week, though, I saw a tail-gate party with several grills set up and people sharing the goods.  A few bucks exchanged hands, but I think it was for the expense of the food, and not the family trying to make a profit.

The Drive-In is still the best value in town.  Three movies for $5.  Usually one new release, and two second-run features.
Susan
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2003, 11:52:45 PM »

On the topic of drive-ins, just saw this brief news story

A View Into the Past

NightFlight
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 11:39:28 AM »

In response to Burgomaster, I live in Massachusetts too.  I have to go all the way to the Northfield Drive in in New Hampshire.  Haven't been in a while, but it was my first drive in experience that I remember.  I'm 28, and my parents said that they took me and my older sibs all the time when I was a baby.  (Course I don't remember.  HE HE)  Yeah, we had drive ins all around the place back then.  Northfield is cool though.  But  I've gone on muggy nights where the only relief  I got was sitting inside the car with the ac on.  No fun.  Their food is wicked good though, especially the greasy burgers.  One time I did cheap out and I brought  a plastic pitcher of ice tea, cups, a  bag of chips, and some ring dings.  Hey, when you're hungry, who cares? The only  beef I have with Drive-ins today, besides the lack there of, is that they don't have the creature features anymore.  Like Northfield, it's mostly kiddie stuff.  One night when I was there, they first played that movie with Arnold S. and Vanessa Williams, and then played Operation Dumbo Drop.  Hah! Me and my friend left after the first flick.   But it was a cheap night out anyhoo.  My dream, and only a dream, is to bring back the Drive -in, and play only b-movies and creature features again.  I honestly think it would fly with the younger, much deprived Britney Spears crowd.  Cuz there isn't anything like that out there.  If anyone wants to buy a drive-in with me and go halfsies, let me know.  HE HE.  :)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Drive-In Dining « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.