Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:28:15 AM
714465 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bad news, folks. Upcoming DAY OF THE DEAD release has screwed up audio problems! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bad news, folks. Upcoming DAY OF THE DEAD release has screwed up audio problems!  (Read 934 times)
Chris K.
« on: July 23, 2003, 01:36:33 AM »

I give credit to Anchor Bay Entertainment when they take in such classics like DAY OF THE DEAD. When first released on VHS and DVD back in 1999, the film was transferred from a surviving 35mm print and was uncut. Now, Anchor Bay has found the original 35mm camera negative of DAY OF THE DEAD so a stunning new transfer is to be expected.

However, their is bad news about the audio. Apparently, Anchor Bay decided not to use the U.S. audio track and went for the Japanese audio track used on the old lJapanese laserdisc. Even though the Japanese audio track is in full English, some scenes involving the harsh swearing have been re-dubbed by different vocal performers! This has been reported by a DVD reviewer who had an advanced copy (I'll try to post the review up as soon as I can).So, Anchor Bay's DAY OF THE DEAD isn't as uncut as they claim it will be. And if this happens to DAWN OF THE DEAD, I'll be even more p**sed!

This may not be a big deal to some, but damn it when I want my favorite films uncut I MEAN IT! Anchor Bay, you are now dropping off my favorite DVD company list. Anchor Bay, the only way you can redeem yourself is fix the audio mishap, or make sure you do a damn goo job with the upcoming release of DEAD HEAT (1988) and release the four Empire Pictures films that they have in their New World Pictures vault.

Otherwise, start e-mailing Anchor Bay.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 06:18:05 AM »

If you think that's bad, I bought Sam Peckinpah's CROSS OF IRON on DVD. It was released by a company called "Hens Tooth" (the company's name should have been a warning to me not to buy it).

* The movie is a full-screen version

* The picture quality is about as good as VHS

* Sometimes the audio cuts out for a second or two when people are swearing (almost like they used a print that was "edited for television"). But sometimes you can hear the swearing!

A totally cheesy DVD release. I wish a major company would distribute this in a high-quality widescreen version.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 08:09:22 AM »

wow!!! that sucks. have you heard much about the DVD for Romero's the Crazies?
The Burgomaster

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 08:38:14 AM »

Chopper wrote:

> wow!!! that sucks. have you heard much about the DVD for
> Romero's the Crazies?

I have THE CRAZIES on DVD . . . there are no problems with it. Great picture and sound quality.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Sara
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 09:56:47 AM »

Killer
StatCat
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 11:04:36 AM »

Damn, I was looking forward to this one- looks like it's going to be delayed now. I like anchor bay but I'll admit they aren't at the top of the dvd world anymore to me.
Chris K.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 12:03:55 PM »

Apparently, when Anchor Bay recieved the original 35mm camera negative from the original lisencer, they were also given the magnetic soundtrack that happened to be a reworked version from the film's original distributor. Yet, Romero's original soundtrack played uncut in theatres.

Why Anchor Bay didn't test the tracks is beyond me. However, if Anchor Bay is listening, why don't they take the uncut soundtrack from their 1999 release and port it over on the upcoming one, as well as keeping the re-worked soundtrack as well.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 01:45:24 PM »

This whole thing is really depressing.

Why, oh why, oh WHY can't anyone do anything right?????

Chris K.
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 02:59:48 PM »

The upside to this is some small portions of dialouge are changed, but not the whole thing. Remember the scene in which the zombie 'Bub' is chowing down on his reward and Lori Cardile says "Oh Jesus"? Her dialouge track is changed to "I don't believe..." in Anchor Bay's upcoming release. And some mild swearing is said to be replaced with different words. Otherwise, about 90% of the soundtrack is still intact.

Keep in mind that Anchor Bay's re-worked soundtrack came from producer Richard Rubenstein's personal 35mm magnetic soundtracks, so one wonders if Rubenstein has the original audio track. And if so, why didn't he loan that out as well? Even so, Anchor Bay could easily solve this by using the soundtrack of their old 1999 DVD release.

Despite 90% of the soundtrack is intact, I would still like that 10% to be intact as well. I still might buy it, but I encourage those who want DAY OF THE DEAD in it's original soundtrack format e-mail Anchor Bay and let them know how you feel.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bad news, folks. Upcoming DAY OF THE DEAD release has screwed up audio problems! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.