Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:40:18 PM
714500 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  BRIDES OF BLOOD: A fun Philippine horror flick « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BRIDES OF BLOOD: A fun Philippine horror flick  (Read 1031 times)
Chris K.
« on: August 12, 2003, 12:16:09 AM »

The plot: A scientist (Kent Taylor), his wife (Beverly Hills), and a Peace Corps officer (John Ashley) go to Blood Island to assist the natives. Yet they discover that the island is infected with radiation: trees are mutating, butterflies are growing into large monsters, and a blob-like monster is killing semi-nude women who are sacrificed to appease the creatures rampage!

A big hit in the drive-in market, BRIDES OF BLOOD would end up unleasing two "sequels" MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND (1968) and BEAST OF BLOODF (1970). BRIDES OF BLOOD later turned up on syndicated television as ISLAND OF THE LIVING HORROR and the reason for the title change is quite simple: most television stations would not release a film with the word "Blood" in the title. Even more unusual is, despite being shown on late night television, the film's blood and semi-nudity were never removed from the television versions! Later on in the 70's, BRIDES OF BLOOD was re-issued by Motion Picture Marketing under the misleading title GRAVE DESIRES. Then during the early 80's, BRIDES OF BLOOD turned up on the Regal Home Video label under the new title BRIDES OF THE BEAST. Not only that, but the Regal Video release removed the original short title sequence and a few sequences. Image Entertainment and Samuel M. Sherman present BRIDES OF BLOOD uncut for the first time and I must say it is a revelation. The colors are vibrant, the sound is clear, and the print quality is pretty good whereas Regal's release had faded color and the worst sound ever heard on early video.

As a sucker for drive-in cult flicks, I'll come right out and say it: I liked BRIDES OF BLOOD. It has it's fun comic book charm and is worth watching for the drive-in experience. It has everything: a scientists cheating wife, mutated trees, strange rituals, and a blob-like monster that tears women to pieces! It's Philippine horror from Eddie Romero and Gerlado de Leon and it's pretty damn good stuff. While Romero was new in the horror field, de Leon had made THE BLOOD DRINKERS (1966; Philippine Title: KULAY DUGO ANG GABI) before BRIDES OF BLOOD was concieved. The cast is also good. John Ashley get's to battle it out with the monster, Kent Taylor is the ernest scientist, and Beverly Hills is also pretty good in her part as the b***hy wife of Talor.

One extra that is the best of the bunch is a commentary track by Samuel M. Sherman. Sherman, who worked with BRIDES OF BLOOD distribution company Hemisphere Pictures, tells some interesting stories about the film's distribution and such. It's only 50 minutes, but it's worth it as the man is a fountain of information. Other extras include the theatrical trailer for BRIDES OF BLOOD and it's original "wedding ring" promotional gimick. Trailers for MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND, BEAST OF BLOOD, CURSE OF THE VAMPIRES, BRAIN OF BLOOD, and THE BLOOD DRINKERS show up as well. A small photo gallery of the Blood Island films and a Beverly Hills pin-up gallery are on hand as well. Linear notes on BRIDES OF BLOOD are supplied by Jim Arena while a on-screen text essay by yours truely Chris K. sum up the suppliments.

Fun, crazy, and freaky is what BRIDES OF BLOOD is. I urge you all to give it a shot, and throw in MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND and BEAST OF BLOOD while you are at it. It will make a great drive-in experience.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 07:52:54 AM »

I bought BRAIN OF BLOOD and BLOOD OF GHASTLY HORROR on DVD a few months ago. I still need to buy the other titles you mentioned. Great Saturday night viewing!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 11:51:31 AM »

As you know I bought CURSE OF THE VAMPIRES. Loved it and want to buy more of the Philippine horror films. Would also like to see the COFFIN JOE films from Brazil and Mexican Horror films. Also the rest of those Euro-shock films from the 60's to 70's. Great stuff. Paul Naschy films are high on my list as well.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 12:25:44 PM »

Scott wrote:

> As you know I bought CURSE OF THE VAMPIRES. Loved it and want
> to buy more of the Philippine horror films. Would also like to
> see the COFFIN JOE films from Brazil and Mexican Horror films.
> Also the rest of those Euro-shock films from the 60's to 70's.
> Great stuff. Paul Naschy films are high on my list as well.
>
>

I have 2 of the Coffin Joe movies on DVD, plus many of the Euro horrors from the 60s and 70s (which are my personal favorites).

I just ordered THE EERIE MIDNIGHT HORROR SHOW, THE NIGHT EVELYN CAME OUT OF THE GRAVE, and VAMPIRES' NIGHT ORGY. Keep those DVD releases coming!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  BRIDES OF BLOOD: A fun Philippine horror flick « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.