Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:36:29 AM
714431 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DAY OF THE DEAD (yet another thread) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DAY OF THE DEAD (yet another thread)  (Read 891 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 12, 2003, 05:02:59 PM »

Okay . . . I saw the new DAY OF THE DEAD dvd at Best Buy the other day. I didn't buy it because there was a recent thread on this website saying that they used the wrong audio track.

Has anyone bought this dvd yet? How messed up is it? Should I buy it, or wait and hope that a better version gets released?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Chris K.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 06:13:27 PM »

I recently bought the DVD of DAY OF THE DEAD and the soundtrack isn't as bad as I heard it was. Only 3 or 4 lines have been changed and is not that noticeable unless you know the original dialouge 100%. But this was not Anchor Bay's doing. The DVD compnay obtained the personal magnetic soundtracks from DAY OF THE DEAD producer/distributor Richard P. Rubenstein. Now why Anchor Bay did not port the original soundtrack from their old 1999 release is unknown to me, so fan's will be a bit disappointed. Yet as I said, very little dialouge was changed and is not that noticeable.

On the plus side, DAY OF THE DEAD was transferred from the recently discovered 35mm negative and it looks better than Anchor Bay's old 1999 release. And the extras are also worth it as well.
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 06:53:55 PM »

Chris K. wrote:

> Only 3 or 4 lines have been
> changed and is not that noticeable unless you know the original
> dialouge 100%. But this was not Anchor Bay's doing. The DVD
> compnay obtained the personal magnetic soundtracks from DAY OF
> THE DEAD producer/distributor Richard P. Rubenstein.

Not what I've been reading on other boards.....I read they got the bits of dialogue from a Japanese laserdisc release, and used that. I haven't read anything about getting mag tracks from Rubenstein.

> Now why
> Anchor Bay did not port the original soundtrack from their old
> 1999 release is unknown to me, so fan's will be a bit
> disappointed.

Good point....WHY not just lift the dialogue from their previous release?

Go figure....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
Brian Ringler
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 07:07:06 PM »

Here is one review of the disc that mentions the audio differences.

http://www.thewebofhorror.com/dayreview.html

Also there is a mention of it on the review at dvdmaniacs.net

but if you think the audio track differences are too much, the old oop version should start to drop in collector's price since people will be replacing it with this version.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 07:56:16 PM »

Haven't seen the disc but saw the movie on the Encore Mystery Channel last night.   I hadn't seen it in years.  I liked it a tad better than I used to, but I still think the series should have ended with DAWN.  I will say that I liked the look of the zombies in DAY OF THE DEAD better--they just didn't get enough screen time.
Chris K.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 08:45:47 PM »

kriegerg69 wrote:
>
> I read they got the bits of dialogue from a Japanese laserdisc release, and
> used that. I haven't read anything about getting mag tracks
> from Rubenstein.

Okay, I also heard that too. As for the Richard P. Rubenstein personal magnetic soundtracks, I beleive I read this on Nathaniel Thompson's review of DAY OF THE DEAD that was posted on www.dvdmaniacs.com and www.mondo-digital.com. This is what I remember reading, so I might go back and check out Nathaniel's review again.

Now if true, this could also lend us to believe that the Japanese soundtrack is the same as the soundtrack on the Anchor Bay DVD because Rubenstein's personal soundtracks were used for DAY OF THE DEAD's international release! Yet, this part is all speculation.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 10:30:06 PM »

What are the extras in the dvd?

save the world, kill a politician or two.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 08:57:19 AM »

Thanks, guys.

I just placed my order for this DVD.

I just feel so "unclean" because of the 3 or 4 dubbed lines of dialogue.

It's against nature.

It just isn't right.

This truly is the end of the world.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DAY OF THE DEAD (yet another thread) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.