Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:04:52 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies your parents got to see in theaters, that make you envy them « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Movies your parents got to see in theaters, that make you envy them  (Read 1913 times)
dave:blackeye15
« on: October 17, 2003, 01:36:53 PM »

Today is the day the Remake of Texas Chainsaw Massercre opens. Just this morning my mom was flipping through the Ticket (It's a weekly section where it reviews music,movies, restaruants.) and she saw TCM. She laughed out loud on how it was given no stars. I wasn't too surprized, see read the review of it and said "I bet it's not nearly as scary as the orignal." At this I looked up and said "You mean you've seen Texas Chainsaw Massecre? Was with dad or something? Did he actually want to rent a horror movie for once?" and she replied "No it was with my friends, way back around when I was going to High School , my friends and I went to one of those car theaters and I started watching it." At this I gasped and almost yelled "YOU WATCHED TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSECRE WHEN IT WAS IN THEATERS!!!??? What did you think of it! Did you like it?" and she said "No! I hated it. When that hitchhiker cut that one boy in the wheelchair I hid under a blanket for the rest of the movie." And my response was "You got an actual chance to see a horror classic on the big screen and you hid under a blanket!? I would have embraced the movie!" and mom said "....Whatever David you're a geek." And I sorta laughed.
I'm still pretty jealous that my mom got to go to TXC when it first came out. I'm gonna go see the new movie in theaters just for payback (or something like that) is anyone else green with envy that one of their parents got to see a horror classic when it ran in theaters. (come to think of it: a lot of people here are old enough to be MY parent... but anyway)
*Mutter*I can't believe she hid under a blanket, what an insult*Mutter*

-the first rule of fat club-
gammaray117
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 05:30:05 PM »

My dad was a projectionest and saw THE TOWERING INFERNO 38 times.

... You realize that's one of my favorite movies, riiiight?

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 05:46:52 PM »

I guess I'm a little older than you guys, because I saw many horror classics (as well as near classics and just plain shlock favorites) in theaters and drive-ins during their initial releases, including:

* THE EXORCIST
* LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT
* DON'T LOOK IN THE BASEMENT
* THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE
* THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD
* WILLARD (the original)
* BEN
* THE OTHER (not to be confused with Nicole Kidman's THE OTHERS)
* DAWN OF THE DEAD
* MOTHER'S DAY
* JAWS

I also saw some non-horror favorites like:

* DIRTY MARY, CRAZY LARRY
* VANISHING POINT
* THE TRIAL OF BILLY JACK
* YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
* BLAZING SADDLES
* EARTHQUAKE (in "Sensurround!")
* BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (not in its original run, but in a re-release to theaters around 1972 or so)
* THE STING

One non-horror movie that I envy my parents for seeing on the big screen is BONNIE AND CLYDE. The first time I saw this movie was on network television when I was about 10 or 12 years old.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 10:32:26 PM »

My parents got to see Psycho in the theater. My dad and uncle had seen it before, and took my mom to see it - poking her in the sides at all the jumpy moments.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Susan
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 10:42:55 PM »

Mine saw "2001: A Space Odessy" with my dad's folks. After it was over my grandfather said "what the hell was that?" I don't think it went over well.

I saw "ET", "Jaws", ..well tons of movies that became classics. It's just at the time you don't realize it's going to be one of those "great" movies.  I always wished I could win the lottery and open up a theater that showed nothing but classic movies, because some never get the full theater experience of seeing a movie that became a classic for them on the small screen.

JohnL

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 11:22:19 PM »

My parents went to see Close Encounters in the theater. I didn't find this out until a friend of the family told me. Also, my grandparents occasionally went to the movies with relatives and they saw both Jaws and Mandingo.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 03:04:12 AM »

My parents saw "Halloween" in the theater just a few years before I was born.  It's really odd because they're the most conservative un-horror-ey people on earth, and I get the feeling the experience was wasted on them.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 07:59:41 AM »

First of all, I want to say that Burgomaster is now my hero.  That is a fantastic list!

My parents never really went to see many horror films.  The two that come to mind were Carrie and The Shining.  Having never really been a fan of Carrie; the fact they saw it in the theater doesn't make me really envy them.  But The Shining on the other hand............................

They also saw The Blues Brothers in the theater.  Now that is one flick that I seriously envy them about!

"We're on a mission from God!"

Great stuff.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 08:13:06 AM »

Skaboi wrote:

"First of all, I want to say that Burgomaster is now my hero. That is a fantastic list!"

Thanks! I've never been called a hero before (sigh).

Let me add a few that I forgot:

* THE SHINING (thanks for reminding me, Skaboi)
* CLOSE ENCOUNTERS (thanks for reminding me, John L)
* HALLOWEEN (thanks for reminding me, Brother R)
* ET (thanks for reminding me Susan)
* STAR WARS
* RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
* THE GODFATHER (how could I forget my favorite movie)
* SCARFACE
* LIFE OF BRIAN
* IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD
* AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON
* SCROOGE (the musical with Albert Finney . . . yup . . . I saw it in a movie theater)
* THE WONDERFUL LAND OF OZ (now available from Something Weird Video!)
* MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
* LIVE AND LET DIE
 The list goes on . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Susan
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2003, 11:35:55 AM »

Another interesting thing: my mother went to see "rosemary's baby" when pregnant with my brother. After the movie they went out to dinner and she fell on her stomach. Not injured but sheesh! Then later when she was pregnant with me she went to see "The Exorcist". I'm not exactly sure what her frame of mind was when she was pregnant.....but naturally growing up my brother was the devil's child and I was posessed..lol

tralalog
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2003, 01:05:06 PM »

the godfather
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 10:53:55 PM »

SIlence of the lambs and halloween. Would have loved to have seen silence of the lambs in the theatres as a boy, but I was only 11 when it was out :(

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Susan
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 11:22:41 PM »

>>SIlence of the lambs and halloween. Would have loved to have seen silence of the lambs in the theatres as a boy, but I was only 11 when it was out <<

I saw it in a hotel room on my second trip to Vegas. Does anyone out there besides me have an uncanny ability to remember where when and who they saw every film they've ever viewed? I swear I can go all the way back to when I was 3 and tell you the details, including what I was eating or wearing.

..and yet strangly i could not tell you what I ate for dinner last nite

Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2003, 12:49:27 PM »

My father liked James Bond movies and the like. While my mom preferred musicals and serious dramas. I really don't think that they saw anything that I am interested in. The only one faintly interesting might have been the sci fi  movie.."No Blade of Grass".E.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies your parents got to see in theaters, that make you envy them « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.