Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:30:23 PM
714453 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Horror Classics DVD: Bela Lugosi « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Horror Classics DVD: Bela Lugosi  (Read 888 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: October 15, 2003, 12:01:19 AM »

Bought this DVD today for $6.99 called Horror Classics: Bela Lugosi. The DVD has 5 Lugosi films on one disk.

THE GORILLA (1939) - This is a good one that not only has Lugosi, but it has the comedians the Ritz Brothers as dectectives. Lugosi plays a butler who you suspect as being the one responsible for the murdering gorilla that is on the loose. I really enjoyed this one especially the Ritz Brothers.

THE DEVIL BAT (1941) - This a classic Lugosi film as the scientist that uses perfume and large bats to get revenge upon those he feels cheated him. I'v seen this memorable film before.

THE HUMAN MONSTER (1939) - This is an excellent British horror film starring Lugosi as a man who runs a home for the blind as a cover for his insurance scheme. Great images and good story. You'd be surprised at the disguise that Lugosi uses to elude detectives.

THE INVISIBLE GHOST (1941) - Haven't seen it yet.

THE APE MAN (1943) - Haven't seen it yet. Saving the best for last.

So far the quality has been much better than expected. Well worth the $6.99.

Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 07:12:13 AM »

Out of all of the movies you listed, I've only seen Human Monster (but under its original name, Dark Eyes of London)  As I remember it, it was quite good.

Sounds like you got a good deal.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 11:37:34 AM »

Next to the Mexican Horror films this is the best deal with over 5 hours of Lugosi and the quality is satisfactory. It's distributed by Platinum Disk Corp.

Watched these films this morning.

THE INVISIBLE GHOST - This is not to bad. The only thing that drove me nuts was that non-stop Little Rascals style music. I may have gone insane listening to that, but we won't know till later :)The film could have been very creepy and atmospheric even with a low budget of Astor/Monogram Pictures Corp. . It's a long story to tell, but just let me say that this could have been much better done even in 1941, I guess they weren't looking for a serious horror film. There are however some great shots of Lugosi in the big chair like in Ed Woods GLEN OR GLENDA. By the way there is no ghost in this film.

THE APE MAN - Be sure to see this one. It will have you howling on the floor especially when the film first shows Lugosi with a hairy face sleeping with a caged gorilla and then to have him disiplining the Gorilla was to funny. What a step down for Lugosi in 12 years time. Don't miss this one if you get the chance.

The Gorilla was produced by Universal
The Human Monster was produced by John Argyle Productions
The Devil Bat was produced by Producer Releasing Corp. (PRC)
The Invisible Ghost was produced by Astor/Monogram Pictures Corp.
The Ape Man wass produced by Favorite Film Corp.

Daniel Johnson
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 05:52:34 PM »

Sounds like a good deal, can you list the Mexican horror deal too, it sounded interesting.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Horror Classics DVD: Bela Lugosi « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.