Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:22:05 PM
714415 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: M$ & hardware makers putting policeware in new computers... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: OT: M$ & hardware makers putting policeware in new computers...  (Read 4203 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2003, 02:32:45 AM »

Unfortunately, Macs don't have as much support, same with Linux.

Macs actually have alot of support.Most of the main stream programs that are on windows also come out on mac.Also there is not such a rift in games that everyone thinks.Many of the games that are on windows are on the mac.

Smells like popcorn and shame
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2003, 06:23:16 PM »

>Windows servers are often cheaper, at least in the short run. It sounds silly, since
>Linux is free - but the linux administrators cost far more.

From what I've read, that cost isn't as bad as it seems because a single Linux server has to be replaced with like 3-5 Windows servers. Also, things like implementing changes, automating tasks etc. are easier with Linux because you can easily use scripting, whereas Windows is mostly all GUI based. Here's the memo I read;

Converting Hotmail

>Macs actually have alot of support.Most of the main stream programs that are on

Recently, in one of the newsgroups I follow, a Mac user wanted to start posting their videos. The accepted format in that group is to use Rar to create a multi-volume archive of the file and post the files individually. The only Rar archiver available for the Mac is a commandline version and for some reason, he couldn't get that to work. Then he decided to just split the files, so he had to find a splitter program for the Mac. The first one didn't work properly on all files. Unfortunately, there seems to be only 2-3 splitter programs for the Mac. I think it wast he last one he got working ok. It chopped off the filename extension though, so he needed an easy way to rename all the files at once. It took a while to find a program to do this. If he'd been using Windows, he'd have had a choice of 4-5 easily obtainable programs to do both.

>windows also come out on mac.Also there is not such a rift in games that
>everyone thinks.Many of the games that are on windows are on the mac.

I'll have to take your word for it since none of the multi-platform review sites that I checked, list Mac games.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2003, 08:03:52 PM »

> >Windows servers are often cheaper, at least in the short run.
> It sounds silly, since
> >Linux is free - but the linux administrators cost far more.
>
> From what I've read, that cost isn't as bad as it seems because
> a single Linux server has to be replaced with like 3-5 Windows
> servers.

I often run into this argument.  However, an awful lot of the Windows "admins" I have met are total meatheads.  On the other hand, most of the Linux admins actually know their stuff.  I would rather see a good comparision based on years experience and what their job is.

If you need a help desk guy, pay for one - but never make a help desk guy into the network admin.

Good point on how one Linux box can do what several Windows boxen can do.  A few years back I helped to transition a place from Unix to Windows.  Where there were 2 Unix boxes before, suddenly it took 7 (or so) Windows computers to do the same job.  And the Unix machines were a few years old, the Windows ones were the newest, fastest ones available.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JohnL

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2003, 10:50:27 PM »

>Good point on how one Linux box can do what several Windows boxen can do.
>A few years back I helped to transition a place from Unix to Windows.

Can you post WHY they wanted to make the switch?

>Where there were 2 Unix boxes before, suddenly it took 7 (or so) Windows
>computers to do the same job. And the Unix machines were a few years old, the
>Windows ones were the newest, fastest ones available.

But at least now, they won't be excluded from all the good stuff... worms, backdoors, etc.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2003, 11:31:40 PM »

Recently, in one of the newsgroups I follow, a Mac user wanted to start posting their videos. The accepted format in that group is to use Rar to create a multi-volume archive of the file and post the files individually.
Why you guys are using Rar I don't undestand, when quicktime  is a far more widely used format, and gives you just as good quality. Quicktime also lets you create multi volume archives as well.

I'll have to take your word for it since none of the multi-platform review sites that I checked, list Mac game

As for the games, often macs are not listed as one of the platforms on review sites because most mac games are ported to the mac by other developers which just deal in mac games.

Smells like popcorn and shame
JohnL

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2003, 10:15:41 PM »

>Why you guys are using Rar I don't undestand, when quicktime is a far more

I only unpack them myself, but others use it because it easily splits the file and includes an additional checksum to ensure that the unpacked file is ok.

>widely used format, and gives you just as good quality. Quicktime also lets you
>create multi volume archives as well.

Quicktime? The only Quicktime I know of is a video format. As for the format itself, the Quicktime player for Windows is horrible on lower-end systems. On mine, I can play VCD files at 30 frames a second in Media Player and others, but Quicktime averages around 7 frames a second on the same files. Native Quicktime files play just as badly.

>As for the games, often macs are not listed as one of the platforms on review
>sites because most mac games are ported to the mac by other developers
>which just deal in mac games.

Do you know of any sites that are good for telling if a game is available for the Mac? For example, Game Rankings is great for telling if a game is available for IBM clones, PSX, Xbox, etc. Just type in part of the name and search.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: M$ & hardware makers putting policeware in new computers... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.