Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:19:33 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I Spit On Your Grave « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I Spit On Your Grave  (Read 2068 times)
Chopper2
« on: October 24, 2003, 09:15:19 AM »

I was amazed to find this exploitation piece on DVD at the ghettoe video store i attend. Has anyone out there ever seen this? If so what's everyone's thoughts or rants about it? Some people think it's pure exploitation garbage, others a work of art.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 12:34:14 PM »

I have the uncut version on DVD.

It's violent and downbeat, but not nearly as "shocking" as most of the articles written about it say it is.

I guess it has attained "cult classic" status over the years, but it doesn't belong in the same league as TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, etc.

I think most of its reputation comes from "word of mouth," probably from people who have never seen it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 12:39:34 PM »

not a bad revenge flick but i think it pales in comparison to Last House On the Left, which it is obviously often compared to.

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

Chopper2
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 01:47:38 PM »

Geeze what an insult to Last House, which is a far more superior film in my opinion! I think it's how "I Spit..." handles the subject matter in such a direct and campy way that ruffles people's feathers.
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 01:56:57 PM »

I think an overall opinion of how good this film is, depends  greatly upon one's taste in what they may or may not define as an artform of cinema. I had the opportunity to see this film only recently, and I will note that while there are certain violent overtures within, I would say that compared to what is projected upon our movie screens today, I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE is at best, tame by comparison. It is merely by the perspective of the film goer that we can determine whether this movie is tasteless, or not tasteless. The filmmaker no doubt made this for a specific audience, and we need to keep that duly in mind. Whether we like this movie or we dont, it does remain in the recesses of our mind long after  the final frame. Watch and form your own opinion.
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 04:57:04 PM »

Chopper2 wrote:

> Geeze what an insult to Last House, which is a far more
> superior film in my opinion! I think it's how "I Spit..."
> handles the subject matter in such a direct and campy way that
> ruffles people's feathers.

i said last house is better

- kurt vonnegut

B-grade
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2003, 07:12:13 PM »

Not as good as its reputation.  However, it is not a bad film.  If it wasn't hyped so much you would appreciate it more.  As it is you feel a little disappointed.
moel
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 11:28:39 PM »

the only movie i can even think to compare this to (for the heck of it), is cannibal holocaust.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2003, 11:04:49 PM »

The only real similarity is that all three of the films were promoted as a "Can You Take It?" type endurance contest.  I'm currently in an argument on another message board about LAST HOUSE--this other guy thinks it's "anti-woman" but I don't think that it really is, any more than any other movie is where female characters die violently--in which case most horror films are just as guiltly.

I SPIT is probably worse, since I think the rape scene was used as a sort of selling point.  

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST is the best film of the three--not just because of the violence but I feel that the story is better and it has more of an impact on the viewer.
moel
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2003, 11:30:00 PM »

"I SPIT is probably worse, since I think the rape scene was used as a sort of selling point. "

i agree completely.
 Although all are brillantly shocking, and stay with you long after viewing, CH seemed to have the most meaning to it, which gives the film a much more powerful sense, to me anyway.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2003, 08:19:49 PM »

sorry, i know you meant that. i just meant it's lame anyone could even compare it to I Spit... I wasn't referring the comment to you in anyway. I apologize if it came across that way.
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2003, 09:33:41 PM »

no biggie

- kurt vonnegut

Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2003, 10:00:44 PM »

This is one film that I haven't seen yet and none of my local video stores have it anymore. In the 80's all of them had it. Now I can't find it for rent.

Boscov's department store is selling I'LL SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE TO, but haven't dared put out the $3.99 for it.

Chopper2
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2003, 08:38:31 AM »

on the commentary Wes Craven addresses how the killers who murder the 2 women will never have as much dignity as the victims. i think that point is often missed by the audience. just because an artist shows brutality doesn't mean he/she condones it.
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2003, 12:38:18 PM »

Scott wrote:

> This is one film that I haven't seen yet and none of my local
> video stores have it anymore. In the 80's all of them had it.
> Now I can't find it for rent.
>
> Boscov's department store is selling I'LL SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE
> TO, but haven't dared put out the $3.99 for it.
>

How much were you planning on renting it for?  We're talking about, what, a $2 difference in price?  I litterally have that much in the cushions of my couch...

But on the subject, I pretty much thought I Spit sucked something that's too vulgar to print here.  I mean, I like a good bad movie as much as the next guy, but this movie was, IMHO, exploitationist tripe.

I know that's not everyone else's view, and to that I say to each his own.  I have talked to people who thought it was great.  I'm just not one of those people.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I Spit On Your Grave « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.