Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:08:46 PM
714415 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies were people miss the point « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Movies were people miss the point  (Read 14221 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 27, 2003, 01:02:21 AM »

Ok everyone has seen these movies were they pose some phlisophical question.But often I find people miss the point of these movies and think that they mean something completely diffrent than what they were intended, or they just don't understand them at all.
Examples are Signs,South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut,Planet of the Apes,and Final Fantasy the Spirits Within.
Can you think of any others?

Smells like popcorn and shame
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 01:47:39 AM »

I'm usually more amused with movies where the writer thinks he's making a big point and it's either an inane idea,  simplistically obvious, or or otherwise not nearly as clever as the writer wanted us to believe

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
-=NiGHTS=-
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 01:52:57 AM »

Good Burger.

This is actually a very complex movie.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 01:56:56 AM »

Maybe "Pitch Black".

Really about the redemption of Riddick, as well as the pilot atoning for her own fears, and arguably about how the sacrifice of the pilot helped bring about the redemption of Riddick, but I don't see it mentioned much

Also "Dark Star" has to be about *something* but I'll be danged if I could figure it out so I guess maybe we all missed it

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
KLOP2
New Visitor

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 02:04:37 AM »

Jaws the Revenge, it was mostly just a dream. That's why it was so bluntly farfetched in plot.

Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 02:17:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure "Dark Star" was about a bunch of hippies.  In space.

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 09:53:30 AM »

People miss the point of Planet of the Apes?  News to me.

(For that matter, people miss the point of Signs?  I don't think I did -- I just think the point was stupid.)

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 11:09:06 AM »

Nick, instead of just listing the movies, I'd be interested in your take on what they are about, and how you think they've been misinterpreted.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
George
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 11:40:04 AM »

Great point AndyC.  I mean, if a person is so intellectually superior as to "get" the movie when the masses miss it, I would love to know what I missed.  I think the whole point of the start of the string was to feel superior...a typical ploy of those who truly aren't.
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 11:53:42 AM »

K, George.  I think you pretty much nailed down the point of your own post, there...

I actually think that discussing the possible "meanings" and "Philosophical questions" of each of the movies Nick listed is woth a thread in itself.  But, since that's not what this thread is about...

I always thought Contact asked some pretty big questions, and then proceeded to never answer them - not really.  Of course, for those paying attention, not answering the questions was the point - they (the questions) were there to make the viewer think, not to provide pat answers.  That's what makes Contact, IMHO, a very interesting (if a tad boring) film.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
dean
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2003, 11:55:43 AM »

i really don't see what there is to miss in signs, planet of the apes or final fantasy, why do you think that?

is it because people find these films annoying despite their good points?

one such example is signs and how many people get annoyed at it because the aliens seem really stupid and too easily killed, though thats not the point, and we are supposed to ignore that fact and just enjoy the damn film.

or am i missing the point here? :-P
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2003, 12:09:12 PM »

Wait - the Aliens in Signs were easy to kill and stupid?  I missed that.  Maybe that was the point Nick was talking about...

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2003, 12:14:06 PM »

George wrote:

> I think the whole point of the
> start of the string was to feel superior...a typical ploy of
> those who truly aren't.

I don't know about that, but it does make for a better discussion if people provide more than a list of movies. It's just a peeve of mine.

It's much easier to respond to a post if you have some idea where the poster is coming from. In this case, we're seeing an opinion presented as a fact, and it's taken for granted that we all understand what Nick means. I can't say for sure that I do. I need to see some support for Nick's position, just to know if I agree with him or not. I mean, I thought the message of these movies was abundantly clear, even overstated. What I don't know is whether Nick got the same message that I did.

Post Edited (10-27-03 11:22)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2003, 12:58:03 PM »

People often miss the point of DAWN OF THE DEAD, which draws parallels between zombies and how people walk "zombie-like" through our over-commercialized, capitalistic society.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
George
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2003, 02:50:53 PM »

I think that many times people look for a deeper meaning when it just doesn't exist.  I always reference the Gilligan's Island / seven deadly sins comparison.  I personally believe it was just entertainment.   But............maybe I'm just naive.
:-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies were people miss the point « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.