Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:55:23 PM
714451 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I guess anything is possible . . . « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I guess anything is possible . . .  (Read 2325 times)
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2003, 05:03:52 PM »

Watch out, Burgo old chap.  Chuck Barris/Sonny Sixkiller might just come out of retirement and - bap! - no more Burgomaster.

"Seinfeld".  Saw it a few times.  No idea why it was deemed to be Big Time Funny.
Perhaps you had to be American?

Ahem, back OT, I would like to see obscure British B/W television series released on DVD - "The Corridor People" or "Undermind" for example.  I have also carried out a pestering campaign against the BBC, telling them to put the TV series "The Day Of The Triffids" out on DVD.  No luck yet.

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2003, 05:16:21 PM »

"Seinfeld". Saw it a few times. No idea why it was deemed to be Big Time Funny.
Perhaps you had to be American?

I'm an American and what little I saw, I never found funny.

I don't care for his stand-up either.  Seems predicated largely around the concept of being 'intentionally stupid'.  Take some mundane aspect of life, intentionally play stupid about it, and then laugh at it.  I'm not thrilled with humour that asks me to be stupid in order to get the laugh

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2003, 07:01:41 PM »

I can't understand all the negative comments about Seinfeld. I am a HUGE hater of television, as it is about 80% crap, 15% garbage, 4% trash, and 1% worth watching.

However, Seinfeld is easily one of the funniest shows that has been on in the past 20 years. On the all-time list, it definitely ranks among the top comedy shows, slightly below programs like:

* I LOVE LUCY
* ALL IN THE FAMILY
* THE HONEYMOONERS

Some people would argue that M*A*S*H belongs on the list, but I found it to be too preachy and forced. The movie was infinitely better.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JohnL

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2003, 08:24:02 PM »

>I have also carried out a pestering campaign against the BBC, telling them to put
>the TV series "The Day Of The Triffids" out on DVD.

I wished I'd taped that when it aired here several years ago...
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2003, 08:46:42 PM »

LOL!
I was taping TDotT  from one of our cable channels, but then had to drive to a friends house, leaving my 8 year old daughter in charge of the remote control.  Five minutes after arriving, my daughter called me, sounding panicked, saying the tape had stopped.  Poor thing, she thought she had done something wrong - it was a broadcast problem, easily solved when I got back but @15 mins of the programme was gone.

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
Fearless Freep

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2003, 01:14:22 AM »

However, Seinfeld is easily one of the funniest shows that has been on in the past 20 years.

Sorry, but in deference to you I watched a whole episode tonight.  Absolutely nothing funny about it.  The laughtrack showed that the writers apparently thought it was funny, but I was mostly just bored and midly irritated at the characters.  I rarely say anything is good or bad and simply think in terms of whether I enjoyed the experience or not. Suffice to asy, I did not enjoy it.

=======================
yaddo42
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2003, 08:49:16 PM »

While I liked "Seinfeld" I can see why it isn't on DVD yet. It is still very popular in syndication in the US. I read somewhere that TBS had signed up the cable rights through 2007, so they must be doing very well for them.

For DVD TV boxed sets, I'm hoping for "Due South" to be released at some point. I loved that show and it hasn't turned back up on TV since TNT dumped the reruns. Should have taped it when I had the chance. I also want the James Burke TV series "Connections" and "The Day The Universe Changed", geeky of me I know, but I liked them. Then again I still have to catch up and buy stuff I want that has been out for a while like "The Prisoner", "Blackadder", and the seasons of "Farscape as they come out, since Sci Fi is giving the show such lousy treatment about rerunning it.

I can't believe there are boxed sets of shows like "Mad About You" and "S.W.AT." out there. The second one was probably to capitalize on the summer movie "based" on the old show and vague memories of the old show, which really doesn't hold up. But even Lifetime doesn't seem to like MAY that much. Then again someone released a boxed set of "Baretta", trying to capitalize on Robert Blake's current notority no doubt.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2003, 09:41:59 PM »

I also want the James Burke TV series "Connections" and "The Day The Universe Changed", geeky of me I know, but I liked them.

Awesome shows.  If they come out I'd like to pick them up for the kids

=======================
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2003, 09:48:30 PM »

I'm sorry to disagree...

Ahh, who am I kidding.  Everyone here knows I LOVE to disagree!  (Woo-HOO!!)

BUT, Sinefeld doesn't belong on the list you gave.  You listed true comedy classics, filled with loveable, or, in the case of Archie Bunker, memorable characters.  Sinefeld was filled with people that you meet once at parties, and hope with every fiber of your being that you never meet again.

That's why M*A*S*H could easily be on a list of all time greats.  Yes, it was preachy sometimes (although not so much in the first two seasons), but the characters are unforgetable.  When I say Radar, everyone knows what I'm talking about.  If I were to ask who everyone liked better - BJ or Trapper John, everyone whould have an opinion.  It's a classic because we won't let the characters die.

The only thing classic about Sinefeld is the lasting memory that a show lasted for seven years based entirely on how self absorbed people can be, and how little they could care about anyone else, even their own supposed "friends."

But that's just my opinion.  Take it to heart, or throw it on the trash pile.  Whatever you want. :-P

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I guess anything is possible . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.