Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:14:52 AM
714470 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Certain Camera Technique « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Certain Camera Technique  (Read 1363 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: October 31, 2003, 02:42:57 AM »

I was wondering how a certain camera technique was done.

Maybe one of you knows the answer.

I'm referring to when the main subject stays stationary or moves slightly while the background zooms in....resulting in a very surreal effect.

One good example is in "Mortal Kombat" when Johnny Cage is fighting Scorpion in the wooden ladder area.  You might know the scene...
Cage is knocked to the ground and when he recovers, the camera zooms away from him a bit while the background zooms in.

Another one is in "Hulk" when Banner transforms after that guy attacks him in his home.
He stays in place while the camera zooms the background in closer.
What is the name of such a shot?  Hollywood has names for everything.

Anyone know exactly how they do this?
It looks pretty trippy!

Post Edited (10-31-03 01:44)
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 05:05:02 AM »

It has something to do with pulling the camera backwards on the dolly and cranking the focus in on the character, resulting in the character being stationary while the background flies away like the dad's kitchen cupboards in Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders.  I'm not sure on all the technical stuff, but that's the basic idea.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 10:55:35 AM »

What is the camera technique they use to make a 90 minute film, and the entire thing is a piece of crap?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 11:59:24 AM »

My friends and I tried that a few times in our short movies. Problem is, we had to do it by leaning over the subject and suddenly jerking back, so the characters in our Vertigo shots are usually smirking instead of shocked.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 12:20:45 PM »

I'm referring to when the main subject stays stationary or moves slightly while the background zooms in....resulting in a very surreal effect.

I think Spielberg invented it for "Jaws"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 02:40:04 PM »

"I think Spielberg invented it for 'Jaws'"

There is a similar technique used in THE GRADUATE. Near the end of the movie, Dustin Hoffman is running toward the camera, but he doesn't seem to be getting anywhere (i.e., his feet are moving, but the background doesn't seem to be getting any farther away from him).  I think this is done by zooming in at the exact same speed that you are dollying backward.  The lens is also important (I think it is done with a short focal length lens . . . or is it a long focal length lens? . . . I always get that part confused).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Phantom 187
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 03:25:00 PM »

Great camera focuses would be those used in the old Chinese shau lin films. When they zoom in and out you can actually see how steady they must have had to have been with a flow of the focal lens. I've always tried to accomplish this technique, failing at it miserably. I've hypothesized the technique to have needed some sort of rod to move the lens in and out quickly. Sadly, most modern digital and analog cameras cannot produce such a wonderful shot due to the very slow focal lenses used. The Chinese must have had a wonderful flow to the shot since if it did have a bar for the hand it would have taken some extremely steady camera hands to produce or at least some good editing to render the shot a usable one.

Also another technique I'm dieing to learn would be the one where subjects seem to shake rapidly looking sort of like a time laps shot . A good example of these shots can be seen in the movie "Spun" in certain scenes and are present when the characters take the  meth drugs. The earliest shots of this were made by the brothers quay back in the 80s.
C Reynolds
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 05:58:06 PM »

This shot is known as a "Tracking Zoom" and was invented by Hitchcock in the film "Vertigo".
dean
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 09:18:10 AM »

>This shot is known as a "Tracking Zoom" and was invented by Hitchcock in the film "Vertigo".

i guess that's why they call it a vertigo shot then!  

i always wanted to be able to do this shot, but my camera doesn't have a manual zoom, so it makes it nigh on impossible to get the timing right when trying to move back at the same speed.

>Also another technique I'm dieing to learn would be the one where subjects seem to shake rapidly looking sort of like a time laps shot .

is this at all similar to what i call the 'flapping head' shot in house on the haunted hill [new version] where one character's head moves about unnaturally fast yet the rest of him is still?

i tried something similar in a short film i did for shool, and just got a friend to moves his head from side to side and various angles [to the song 'time warp' no less] and then just sped up the footage and added the appropriate sound effects. it actually came out pretty cool [compared to the rest of the film especially!]
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2003, 06:41:11 PM »

My experience is in still photography, but long focal lengths (telephoto) tend to flatten a scene while short focal lengths (wide angle) tend to deepen it. By pulling back the camera while zooming in on your subject, I think you should be able to keep your subject about the same size, while tightening your view of the background,so it would appear to get closer. It must require some pretty precise control to produce the kind of shots you see in movies though.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Certain Camera Technique « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.