Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:23:19 AM
714432 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Beast Master. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Beast Master.  (Read 3417 times)
Andrew J Bird
« on: November 25, 2003, 09:40:37 AM »

First I will set a few things straight, 1) the pit round the village has not been filled with oil it is infact tar.  In other words and I don't know why it is a tar pit, how a tar pit managed to surround the town, I don't know.  But they are told by Darr to cover the tar with sand to make it look solid, this is a trap.  

Secondly, and I am a little confused about this myself, the Panther is not a painted tiger but instead is simply a Black Coloured Tiger.  Although I would quite enjoy watching someone trying a spray paint a tiger, something tells me the person painting the tiger would not enjoy the experience.

Now I have a question, for anyone who can give me an answer, in the scene with the HIgh Priest, demanding that the people of the village allow him to Sacrifice their children to Arr.  What was the real name of the girl that is first dragged up to the top of the Pyramid and the saved by the Golden Eagle.  And While is it I don't think that Eagle could actually grab and then carry away the girl who is atleast 3 times it's size.  It would be like Boeing 737 trying to carry a Boeing 747 i.e a jumbo jet.  The 737 would never get off the ground and if by some chance it was able to lift the plane it would need a runway the size of three or four londons before it could get off the ground.

Now for a question that isn't Beastmaster related, apart from Beastmaster are there any other films that include scenes were one or more children are sacrificed to some god or other.  I'm not interested because I have either a warped mind or because I like to see children or even adults being harmed but I am trying to put together a collection of films that have themes in them that are not usually depicted in films.  I know films like The Devil Rides out have animals sacrificed, or atleast a goat, and a film which I know as, The Blood on Devils Skin or something like that, but I would like to find out about and see more.

Can you or others who may read this message please tell me about them so I know to keep an eye out for them.  

One last thing, while I agree that the second Beast Master Film was rubbish, to put into the nice words but I thought that the third film although a little tame was a vast improvement on the second.  

Thank you for reading and for the replies that I hope I will get to this email.

From Andrew J Bird.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 02:36:41 PM »

1.) Of course it was tar.  You stated that Dar told them to cover it with tar.  Tar is flammable, but not explosive.  I knew that when I first saw the movie back in 1983 when I was 9 years old.

2.)The tiger actually was dyed and it later died from skin problems caused by the dye after the movie had been filmed.  They state that it was supposed to be a panther but even a 5 year old can tell that its a tiger.  Go here to view it:  http://www.badmovies.org/movies/beastmaster/beastmaster7.jpg

3.)As for the eagle carrying that kid......IT'S A MOVIE!  It isn't real!

4.)No I do not know of any other movies where kids are sacrificed.

Post Edited (11-25-03 15:31)
JohnL

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 07:04:39 PM »

>apart from Beastmaster are there any other films that include scenes were one
>or more children are sacrificed to some god or other.

The recent Helen of Troy miniseries had a toddler being sacrificed by her father.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 07:59:39 PM »

In The Hills Have Eyes a baby very nearly becomes mutant hillbilly cannibal chow.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Andrew Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 08:41:05 AM »

The Hills have eyes, I seen the sequel and frankly it's not so much a horror more one of the funniest films I have even seen.  Incase you haven'y seen the sequel and so you know why I thought it was so funny, even the dog has flash backs to the first film.

I have seen some funny films that were meant to be funny but a dog having flash backs to a previous film I mean, I don't know who wrote the story that the film came from but I bet even they laughed.
Andrew Bird
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 08:50:48 AM »

In the film Beastmaster there was young girl called Kim Tabet, can anyone tell me which of the girls she was?

Is she the Girl who was supposed to get BBQ'd and was saved by the Eagle or someone else.
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 05:03:04 AM »

Is this the only film you own or something?

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Andrew Bird
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 08:20:57 AM »

I do own other DVD's but am I admit a little obsessed with Beastmaster at present, however I am own a small number of Doctor Who DVD's and VHS's and still watch Regular TV.  

Apart from having trouble finding a copy of the first 2 episodes of Lexx which are I think the best opening episodes I have seen sofar. The most creative being the Cluster Lizard scene towards the end, and has them gauging themselves on a number of children, who think they are in the arena to be be awarded for their good works.  

You may have spotted a running theme here, I like monsters that actually get to eat atleast one person, and films that have them or nastie Priests or warlords that make their followers show them that they are true followers by allowing them to kill their offspring.  I know it's a little gory but I would rather this than something simular being done to people in the real world.

Athough it does interest me when I read about the things that are still being done in the name of someones god, knowing that there are things being done around the world which even I would have thought would have become no more existant than a dinosaur beings spotted in British countryside.  Incase you are now scratching your head and wondering I mean, I refer to things like, animal sacrifice which still goes on around the world.  It may be rarer now a days but knowing that there are places where it still goes on I find interesting.

Before I go, I have a question for anyone who reads this, I have asked about other films that have children sacrificed in them, and have been told sofar of the Film Helen Of Troy, while I am interested in Action Adventure movies I am also interested and in some cases more interested in Horror Movies where the writer and director are willing to go that extra mile.  In other words films where the director knows that the people who watch the film are going to expect a more graphic scenes than they might find in a Action Adventure which are often aimed at a more general Viewer and more often than not has a wider age range to cater for.

Thank you again for reading and for any reply I get from you in advance.

From Andrew Bird.
JohnL

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2003, 09:25:04 PM »

One of the kids gets eaten by the blob in the remake. In Mimic, a couple kids who are bug hunting in the subway tunnels get killed by the bugs.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 01:54:00 PM »

I don't remember how big the girl was in the original "Beastmaster," but, it is theoritically not impossible for a child to be carried off by an eagle, if the eagle is large enough, and the child is small enough. Indeed, it seems to me I have heard of such happening, though, I no longer remember any facts in the case.

I think Andrew Bird is not talking so much about children being killed in films, horror or otherwise, but, about children being sacrificed to some god or gods, as it has actually happened in the past.

I, too, am interested in the subject, not so much in child sacrifice, as in where the idea of virgin sacrifice got started in films. So, let me look at my resources, and see what I can find out.

Off hand, the only child sacrifice I can think about, is the near sacrifice of the boy scout in "Lair of the White Worm," who was to be sacrificed to the greater glory of Dionin, until he was saved by the proverbial doorbell. (Film reviewed at this site.)

And I agree, the third film in the "Beastmaster" series is far better then the second film. Actually, I wish that they had based the TV series on that third film, instead of whatever they based it on.  Enjoy!

FearlessFreep
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2003, 04:12:12 PM »

And I agree, the third film in the "Beastmaster" series is far better then the second film.

Yup

Actually, I wish that they had based the TV series on that third film, instead of whatever they based it on. Enjoy!

I think that was the plan.  It certainly had a 'pilot' feel to it.. Not sure what happend to the plan though
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2003, 03:52:20 PM »

There was suppose to be a little girl sacrificed in "Wickerman," but that turned out to be a ruse. Other then that, and the films already mentioned--"Beastmaster" and "Lair of the White Worm"--the only films that I know that suggest child sacrifice, which seems to be quite rare in films are . . .

Children of the Corn
The children start out sacrificing the adults in the town, but, finish sacrificing some of their own. A terrible film. Just terrible. How it ever spawned so many sequels, I'll never know.

Dragonslayer
Like "Lair of the White Worm," more happenstance, then deliberate, but twice an year, a woman not more then 18 nor under 14 . . . Of course, the dragon, Vermithrax, was not picky, as long as he was fed twice a year, it would take young maidens, mature matrons, elderly grandmothers.

The Story of Ruth
Young girls are raised in the lap of luxury, and what do they get. for this luxury. They get sacrificed each year to the god Baal. I think that is the point the film makes. The Caananites practiced human sacrifice, and the Israelites did not.

Eirik
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2003, 05:53:52 AM »

Dar, Arr, Ardar (a place name in the movie)...  That's crackerjack writing, folks.

In the movie "The Young Sherlock Holmes," a cult of Egyptian sun worshippers is sacrificing young girls in a temple in subterranean London.  Sherlock cracks the case and rescues his girlfriend from the altar only to lose her tragically later on.  I am pretty sure one girl is sacrificed successfully earlier in the movie.  Not a bad movie in terms of atmosphere - but as a big fan of the written works, I was disappointed.
FearlessFreep
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2003, 11:57:28 AM »

Dar, Arr, Ardar (a place name in the movie)... That's crackerjack writing, folks.

Sounds like someone had a bad Scrabble hand...
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2003, 06:57:37 PM »

I really dug the movie... It has a nice nostalgic link to my childhood. By the way, a friend of mine fabricated props on the set of that film. I remember when he once offered to sell me a maquette statue of one of the creatures from the film but I was broke at the time.... Damn the luck! : (
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Beast Master. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.