Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:55:25 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Matt Drudge expresses his distain for BAD SANTA « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Matt Drudge expresses his distain for BAD SANTA  (Read 1706 times)
Chris K.
« on: November 28, 2003, 01:38:35 PM »

Even though I haven't see BAD SANTA, I have read some reviews of it and the film seems be semi well-recieved. Of course, the whole film is not intended for children as it features that crazy man Billy Bob Thornton as a drunken, swearing, anal-sex loving man who dresses up as a store Santa Claus and robs the places he works at during Chirstmas Eve. By how the plot summary goes, this is a far cary from IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE and MIRACLE ON 34th STREET, but I plan on seeing it as BAD SANTA is supposed to be a demented black comedy, as well as having John Ritter's final film performance.

However, not all understand BAD SANTA's concepts. Public radio commentatior Matt Drudge apparently considers the film unsuitable for children and in poor taste. I don't know what is worse: a man who claims that every element of cinema should not be different, or a man who doesn't have a broad concept of what is acceptable or not. It might be Drudge's opinion, and that is fine if he hated the movie, but he acts as if he is the all-knowing on what is moral or not and acts as if the film is "aimed" towards children. Well Drudge, the last time I checked the film was 'R' rated, and that shows that is NOT SUITABLE for younger viewers.

Anyway, anybody hear of Matt Drudge's concern for BAD SANTA?
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 01:58:37 PM »

No, but I've heard it's ticked off other people in the same way.

I thought it was just another gross-out comedy that looked funny, but then I saw it was directed by Terry Zwigoff [CRUMB, GHOST WORLD...]  Is this a selling out or is this a great movie?  I'll probably end up seeing it just to find out.  

Drudge is a dork anyway...his 15 minutes expired a long time ago.   And I enjoy a lot of these talk radio programs...Drudge is dull.
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 03:58:16 PM »

it seems like a few "serious" directors are cranking out comedies this season after more serious projects.

Jon Favreau followed up his mafia flick MADE with ELF

Richard Linklater did SCHOOL OF ROCK after his flick WAKING LIFE

and now Zwigoff

Post Edited (11-28-03 14:59)

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

lester1/2jr
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 06:02:59 PM »

I thought the whole point was that it wasn't a children's movie.  It's not called "good santa"
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 10:22:16 PM »

It's the same kind of uproar that they had with SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT....
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 10:56:16 PM »

Man I want to see Bad Santa and I got it covered, because my mom wants to see it also, so I don't have to sneak into the theater or lie about my age. BOO YEAH!

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Kory
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 11:17:20 PM »

"Elf" and "School of Rock" both turned out good, too. Maybe "Bad Santa" will continue the trend.
FearlessFreep
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 01:44:33 AM »

I dunno...all the previews from "Elf" made me think "there's a potentially  funny 15 minute skit in there if it's done right, but a full length movie?"
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 01:51:54 AM »

>I thought the whole point was that it wasn't a children's movie. It's not
>called "good santa"

But... it's about Santa so it *MUST* be a children's movie!!! Just like all cartoons are for children... :-/
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 02:59:15 PM »

I didn't really like WAKING LIFE, but it seemed like the first movie Linklater had done in a while that wasn't just Hollywood crap.  It seems like all the indie directors of the 90s are making lame forumla comedies and kids movies now...Rodriguez with those SPY KIDS movies, Linklater with SCHOOL OF ROCK, THE NEWTON BOYS, and whatever else, and now I'm wondering about Zwigoff and BAD SANTA....but the movie does look funny and twisted, so I'm going to check it out.

As far as Linklater and the others go...when they first made movies I wonder if these were the kinds of movies they hoped to make when they were first starting out....I doubt it.
Eirik
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 06:26:25 AM »

I have no interest in seeing this because it looks a lot like 90-120 minutes of "Ha ha, isn't that funny - a guy dressed like Santa is p**sing in an alley and checking out girls' asses...  Oh, and the midget is saying curse words.  Ha ha."

That said, Santa's fair game for an attempt at raunchy adult humor the same as he's fair game for slasher movies about psychos in red suits.  Who cares what Matt Drudge says anyway?  Still, I could do without the obnoxious freaking commercial.  Little kids watch TV and the people who put together clips for commercials should think about that...

(yeah, yeah I know: "Well if parents were responsible and paid attention to what their children were watching, blah blah blah."  Anyone who thinks a parent can monitor every second of his child's television intake - or any other behavior - obviously doesn't have any kids and is in for a serious dose of reality if he should ever have any).
FearlessFreep
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2003, 11:55:46 AM »

Little kids watch TV and the people who put together clips for commercials should think about that...

(yeah, yeah I know: "Well if parents were responsible and paid attention to what their children were watching, blah blah blah." Anyone who thinks a parent can monitor every second of his child's television intake - or any other behavior - obviously doesn't have any kids and is in for a serious dose of reality if he should ever have any).

Yeah, it drives me nuts that I can be watching something fairly content innocent like a baseball game or Sunday football game with my kids, but I have to keep my hand on the remote for the commercials because some many of them are so raunchy, especially fox
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Matt Drudge expresses his distain for BAD SANTA « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.