Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:44:46 AM
714508 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Manos: Hands of Fate (1966) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Manos: Hands of Fate (1966)  (Read 1108 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: December 10, 2003, 02:35:22 PM »

MANOS: HANDS OF FATE (1966) - Directed and starring Hal Warren as the extremely stupid father. How about that opening scene in the car? How about tha wacky guy Turgo? Or those still shots of cult leader? That long cat fight? That piano, flute, saxaphone music? The music almost drove me mad except the occasional vocal parts. They needed a better cult leader for that role and what was with the cape with two big hands printed on each sleeve? The pauses and editing I'm sure have made this an excellent canidate for Mystery Theater. This is a marginally entertaining film and will be watching for it on a Myster Theater showing one day. It shouldn't be watched alone. Watched it while taking a 70 minute break from the computer.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 02:39:48 PM »

Sadly enough, I have heard about this and read about this, but I have never seen it.

I guess it's time to ante up the $5 for the DVD.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 02:46:14 PM »

Well, I say it's different Burgomaster. A must see for $5. Though I found these films to be a bit more entertaining:

Plan 9 From Outer Space
Eegah
Beast of Yucca Flats
Robot Monster
Missle to the Moon

Bernie
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 03:09:13 PM »

A must=have for B movie fans.  One of those films so bad it has the power to stop time.  Watch it and you'll swear hours, days, weeks, have passed.

The music score is actually kind of cool in a deranged acid-jazz jammy obnoxious kind of way.

If you're an MST3K fan and have never seen their version of this, you're doing yourself a real disservice.  One of their best efforts.

Below is a website with an extended article on the efforts of some dedicated B-movie fans a few years back to gather the Manos principals for a convention and what they learned about this movie:

http://jophan.org/mimosa/m18/18_p35.html
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 03:21:34 PM »

Andrew has a review of it on this site.

Go here to view it:  
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/manos/index.html

Bernie
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 03:40:20 PM »

Thanks for the reminder, Ash.  I had read A's review some time ago but forgot that I had (brain cells are sloughing off at a record rate these days).
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 04:45:56 PM »

Whoawhoawhoa-- Where can you get a $5 DVD of Manos?! I've seen the MSTed version many times, but as a cinemasochist, I feel it my duty to see it uncut-- Maybe throw a party around it, with lots of caffiene to make sure everyone makes it through.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 05:18:18 PM »

VerminBoy:

You can buy MANOS from oldies.com for $5.95.  Or you can buy 5 DVDs for $25.

Deep Discount DVD is selling MANOS for $5.98, with free shipping.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 08:08:59 PM »

I'm probably one of the few people who will stand behind Manos as actually being a really cool flick.  Sure it's poorly made and incompetent, but in the hands of a properly incompetent filmmaker, the flick can come off as extremely creepy and just barely this side of a snuff film.  Makes you wonder if there aren't deleted scenes somewhere with that girl in the car that the cops keep bothering getting horribly butchered.  I think Manos has a great atmosphere that does a decent job covering up the ineptitude.
To Vermin: it's always cool seeing a word you made catch on.  At least, I think I'm the first one to use the word "cinemasochist" c. 1999.  If I'm not, someone should tell me so I can stop sounding conceited.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 10:36:56 PM »

Actually, I think I came up with it independently... But it's OK, I won't tell anyone. :)

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 11:04:55 PM »

Damn you vermin boy!

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Scott

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 11:34:18 PM »

The credits at the end were even fun to watch. They made sure they gave everyone credit for this film MANOS: HANDS OF FATE.

Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 12:55:53 AM »

Huh.  What are the chances of two people who've never met and only communicate in a vague, relatively impersonal manner on a message board making up the same word independently?  So we'll both take our own credit for that one.  I'll bet I still have the copyright on cinemasodomy, though ;)  At least I should, I paid for the damn domain name...

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Manos: Hands of Fate (1966) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.