Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:52:01 PM
714415 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Toons old and new: Samauri Jack and Earthworm jim! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Toons old and new: Samauri Jack and Earthworm jim!  (Read 7955 times)
Flangepart
« on: August 08, 2001, 05:30:09 PM »

Its toon time agine, and i must say, the behind the scenes look at SAMAURI JACK looks promising. Particulary the graphics and music. good old Cartoon Network. Comming up with new stuff every year. And about the classics....I was watching on of my old MST tapes, and found an ephisode of EARTHWORM JIM there on! I liked that weird toon. sure it was inspired by a video game, but they approiched it like a regular program. With Villians named Prof. Monkey-for-a-head, Psycrow, and Queen-slug-for-a-butt, that show knew what it was doing....(Sigh)....so....any chance it could end up on Cartoon Network? Hey, a male humanoid can dream!
Vermin Boy
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2001, 06:24:26 PM »

I haven't seen the cartoon for a while, but I just stumbled across an SNES copy of Earthworm Jim 2... MAN! Talk about weird... There's one level where Jim randomly becomes a blind cave salamander who has to swim around in what appears to be an intestine (with pencils stuck in it) before entering a game show with blatantly nonsensical questions. Whoever made that game was either a genius or very, very insane. Recommended.
Guitarwolf
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2001, 12:27:30 AM »

Earthworm Jim was indeed a fun game. I'm looking forward to the new cartoon from John Krikfalusi(Ren & Stimpy). It's called Ripping Friends. I probably won't see it though. It comes on here a 7:00am on Saturdays. I'm too busy sleeping at that time to watch. Oh well, it will probably be on dvd one day.
Hero-man and Sidekick-boy
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2001, 11:48:12 AM »

Earthworm Jim the show was great. My friend bought a tape with 2 eposides on it (I've yet to watch it) and I found an eposide on an old tape of mine with the "Book of Doom (aka a pop-up book with the secert to conquer the world)". So many great lines in that show.

The games were so off the wall it was great, I wonder what the creator of Earthworm Jim has been up 2. Anyone know?
Hairzilla
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2001, 03:05:14 PM »

Ok, this would fall squarely into the "old" 'toons catagory. Does anyone here remember the OLD MARVEL COMICS CARTOONS that featured Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America, The Mighty Thor, and Namor -The Sub Mariner? If there was ever a bad cartoon worthy of honorable mention here, this would be my choice! It was the only 'toon I can ever recall seeing where, instead of actually animating the charcaters, still shots - seemly taken right out of the comic books themselves, talk about relying on stock footage - were manipulated in different ways to simulate SOME kind of movement in an otherwise frozen scene! [Hey, didn't "Matrix" incorporate the same idea? The more things change...] For those who watched it, how could such classic moments as the frame of the Hulk, with the image merely being tilted back and forth to give the impression that he's stomping forward, ever be forgotten? Or how about the scenes of Namor swiming, totally unmoving, accept for the flutter of his little ankle wings? And let's not leave out those rousing theme songs! [I salute anyone who can actually remember ALL of the words to any given one!] Cutting edge comic book animation of the time, or or just a hysterically bad cartoon? Your guess is as good as mine. "I - AM - THE - HUUUUULK!"

And now, for those of you who might be interested, here is a bit of "new" toon info. THE JUSTICE LEAGUE animated series, done by the same team responsible for the hits BATMAN-THE ANIMATED SERIES, THE NEW SUPERMAN ADVENTURES, and BATMAN BEYOND [it is truly unfortunate that a monster success like 'BEYOND was made to abruptly end it's run on WB so that it could be replaced with the less than electrifying STATIC SHOCK], will begin airing on the Cartoon Network  this November. The team will be made up of mainly the classic "big guns" of DC comics heroes, with the addition of Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl. [The latter being a choice I certainly wouldn't have made.] Based on their incredible track record with the three above mentioned shows, I'm expecting this one to be nothing less than amazing!

And on one last note...appropriate only for this place I assure you...It makes me proud!...After recently seeing a strangely eerie rendition of Superman done by a Japanese artist, it got me thinking. It could be potentially cool, in that RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD kind'a way, to see a story done where Supes' dies and  becomes a brain munching zombie! I mean, how would he possibly be stopped? Since he's invulnerable the "shoot him in the head" tactic is useless, and kryptonite wouldn't have any effect because he's already dead! However, I'm sure that, as it always happens in "Superman goes bad" scenarios, the one individual who would find a way to stop him would be....Batman!    

"Tony Stark makes you feel he's the coolest cat, with a heart of steel..."
Vermin Boy
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2001, 04:45:07 PM »

I remember, back when I was a young lad obsessed with comic books (as opposed to a slightly older lad obsessed with b-movies), I came across a tape at the local rental shop of the old Fantastic Four cartoon series. I thought it was awesome that there was a cartoon version of the comics... until the opening roll call: "Mister Fantastic!... The Invisible Girl!... The Thing!... and Herbie!" Herbie?! Okay, I can kinda understand that the Human Torch MIGHT convince a kid to immolate himself... But Herbie?! Is that the BEST you can do?
Steve.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2001, 05:42:35 PM »

Ripping Friends? Created by the genius behind Ren and Stimpy ? (I've yet to see a more psychotic cartoon episode than "Stimpy's Fan Club"). I feel a Python connection coming on. Ex. Python, Michael Palin had an absolutely hysterically funny tv show a few years ago called "Ripping Yarns" - about such superhuman (ie British) adventurous feats as crossing the Andes by frog, and surviving an Eton-type private school's marathon hop (those who failed to complete the race were executed on the spot and the school had an official, elected school bully. There were notices in the dorms such as "No screaming after 10 pm"). If this is what I hope it is - ooh I just can't wait.
Flangepart
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2001, 05:51:15 PM »

WHAT? Herbie? Verm, is that a Big, fat guy with glasses, a red flannel outfit, and a lolly pop constantly in his mouth? My God! Herbie was one of the freakiest "Super hero"comics i ever twisted a braincell on. Gad, man, how did you survive to be the B-movie freak thou art? And Hairzilla.....Oh, man, i remember those toons, too! I bugged out of those shows fast! Must have had a strong artistic survival streak........Herbie....Gag! Superzombie!...faster then a speeding Mortician!...more powerful then a rotting carcuss...able to eat tall people in a single bite!...look,up in the sky, its a buzzard,- its a blimp full of airsick freaks!-its SUPERZOMBIE! Haul ass, he's hungry!.....
Flangepart
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2001, 05:54:40 PM »

Zounds prom...Sorry...sounds promising! I've seen Ripping Yarns. Hummmm. We shall see.
Hairzilla
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2001, 01:28:14 AM »

Flange' dramatically narrates:

>able to eat tall people in a single bite!...its SUPERZOMBIE! Haul ass, he's >hungry!.....

Hahaha! Dude, you are truly an inspiration for "cinematically challenged" individuals such as myself! I humbly offer the "Universal Greeting" [As demonstrated in "Transformers-The Movie"] in your general direction!

THIS is how that mushy crap with Lois Lane, from the first flick, WOULD HAVE played out using my scenario:

Lois: [Attempting to interview "The Man of Keel".] "Why are you here?"

Superman: [Standing half in the shadows at this point] "I'm here to fight for truth, justice, and TOEATYOURBRAIN!!!"

SuperZOMBIE suddenly leaps foward, grabs Lois and begins a savage, yet hilarious feast upon her cranium!

Can you read my mind? No, but I can smell your brain...
Hero-man and Sidekick-boy
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2001, 05:42:13 PM »

Anyone remember Freakizoid?
Flangepart
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2001, 12:10:12 PM »

Yes! My favorite Freakazoid was the segment Ledgends who lunch, where the Old OLD time superheros get together for a bagle, some corned beef, maby a lil potato salad...and talk about the OLD days. Know how to get rid of the Villian called the Brown Fog?...light a match!OY!
Vermin Boy
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2001, 08:18:19 PM »

Uhh... Actually, the Herbie I'm thinking of was an annoying little robot who showed his intellect by spouting useless bits of information. What were you thinking of?
Vermin Boy
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2001, 08:24:06 PM »

Yeah! One of those shows I appreciate more now than I did when I was within the taget audience. I remember one that was in "Scream-O-Vision" or something, where whenever something "scary" happened, a Peter Lorre-type voice would say "Scream!" and you'd hear a bunch of audience members screaming... Even better now that I've seen The Tingler. And then there was "Relaxovision"... Genius.Hero-man and Sidekick-boy wrote:
>
> Anyone remember Freakizoid?
Mofo Rising
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2001, 01:01:55 PM »

I haven't seen SAMURAI JACK yet, but it looks pretty promising.

I just  bought the CLERKS cartoon DVD.  I think it's pretty damn funny.  The second episode is a "flashback" episode, even though they've only had one other episode.  It was worth my time to watch, but you might disagree.

The Onion A.V. Club ran an interview with Kricfalusi a while back.  He's pretty much a jackass and asserts that pretty much everything in any cartoon ever made was ripped off from him and his shows.  It does make for interesting reading though.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Toons old and new: Samauri Jack and Earthworm jim! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.