Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:16:13 PM
714498 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cube - **spoilers!** fine Canadian goods! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cube - **spoilers!** fine Canadian goods!  (Read 1457 times)
Diablo44
« on: December 15, 2003, 05:00:23 PM »

I enjoyed this movie immensely.  Some of the blemishes showed, like the stagey acting at points (especially Quentin the Cop) and some mathematical points made too quickly for my taste, but for the money (1/4 of a million Canadian from what I read), it was very entertaining!  One critique that I've heard more then once was the "sudden" change in demeanor of one character, but I don't agree with it.  I felt that the change was more gradual and I could, as a first time viewer, see it coming to a degree.  

Also, for you KITH: Brain Candy fans (and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, according to the IMDb. . I'm not a fan, so I haven't seen), the college student Leaven is a familiar face.
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 08:35:38 PM »

I liked this movie too - probably because it had all no-name actors in it. It was VASTLY superior to the sequel, in ways I won't even go into here. Just watch the first movie, that is enough.

Yes, the Decartian coordinates were extremely difficult to grasp, and you could tell that the retarded kid would come into play; all of these type of films have at least one character that everyone thinks is worthless and they turn out to be priceless. Not surprising that they didn't spend a huge amount of money, since most of the film was done in the same room with different colors.

Not Oscar-worthy by any means, but a good way to kill 1.5 hours.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 01:17:37 AM »

I liked some of it...the overall premise was good, but I thought the ending crapped out--it just seemed like the ending of any other thriller with the bad guy trying to kill the good guys.

The conflict between some of the characters wasn't that great either.  It seemed like they were reaching for some sort of "social comment" or something but they couldn't pull it off.  It would have been better if they'd just forgotten about that part of it.
Diablo44
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 10:50:23 AM »

I agree with you on the ending being a bit of a cop out with a "bad guy trying to kill the good guys" feel to it (my girlfriend, who agreed to watch this with me, God bless her, said, "but. . but. . why?"  I couldn't come up with an answer either. . . )  I thought the social comments kind of helped set up some of the character changes towards the end. . . I don't want to give anything away, but the arguments between 2 of the characters kind of built up and built up, leading to one's demise and the other one's spiral into complete bat-s**ttyness (a word? I doubt it. . . )
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 02:12:42 AM »

My biggest problem with it was also the end. All the doors in the cube made a loud noise when opened, except for the one behind them which you could barely hear, allowing the bad guy to sneak up on them. I hate it when the film has to cheat to allow something to happen. I also didn't like that everyone except the autistic guy ended up dead.
Eirik
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 03:49:29 AM »

Overall, I am with Neon Noodle, this was a really different and fun movie.  Good point by a poster about the sequel which was over-reliant on special effects.  It also tried to belabor the point made by the first.

Basically, the movie came up with an original premise and had some interesting if cliched characters.  It kept the special effects very simple and played on the whole conspiracy-paranoia thing pretty well.  It really worked as a one time deal I thought.  

The sequel was an unnecessary let-down.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cube - **spoilers!** fine Canadian goods! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.