Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:08:27 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I read an article in Penthouse (no really) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I read an article in Penthouse (no really)  (Read 1071 times)
BlackAngel
« on: December 23, 2003, 03:43:11 AM »

The title of  it is "Why TV Shows Suck", and basically, it's an inside look at why  quality shows never get the light of day and why "other" shows get to live an undeserved long happy life by former tv writer and executives.  I doubt if this article is on their website, being that you have to be a member to get in and all.  But it is a good read, so fellas, pick up a copy of the Holiday issue if you can, and ladies, tell you man to photo copy the pages so y'all don't have to look at the pictorials.
-------------------------------------------------
Bulls**t, I still can't hear you, sound off like you got a pair.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 02:01:21 PM »

TV shows suck for the same reason that movies like MANNEQUIN are popular.  Most people don't want to have to think when they watch TV and movies.

One of the most interesting television shows of all time is THE PRISONER, but it never made it beyond 1 season.  Yet, HAPPY DAYS (which was pretty good for a season or two) seemed to hang on forever . . . even until it evolved into JOANIE LOVES CHACHI.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 03:51:45 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:

> TV shows suck for the same reason that movies like MANNEQUIN
> are popular.  Most people don't want to have to think when they
> watch TV and movies.
>

Yes, but there is a big difference between not having to think much when watching something and having shows that are so unbelievably stupid that they make one's head hurt.

The state of TV programming right now is such an abomination I cannot believe they get advertisers to sponsor it (I'm talking about the Big 4 main broadcast networks).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Chris K.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 04:13:29 PM »

Speaking of bad TV shows, I just recently watched an episode of IT'S ALL REALATIVE on ABC and talk about garbage. My God, it was like a cheap knock-off of ALL IN THE FAMILY. If you ever get a chance to catch it one night, sit back and count all of the obvious ALL IN THE FAMILY-type characters.

And then I watched LIFE WITH BONNIE one night and boy, talk about a bore-fest. The fact that Bonnie Hunt is still allowed on TV and film is an insult to anybody who finds her unsatisfying.

Sorry, but give me GREEN ACRES any day of the week over this crap!
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2003, 02:38:24 AM »

If you're looking for a beacon of hope in a wasteland of crap, and you haven't already figured this out since it's been on for three or four seasons, tune in to Scrubs on Thursday nights.  Damn fine show, and although NBC treats it like an old football, just booting it around to fill a hole whenever they need it, and taking it off the air at the drop of a pin to show back to back episodes of Friends, Scrubs is one of the best shows on TV.  Yeah, I know, it's not hard to do these days, but trust me, it rocks.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2003, 05:02:23 AM »

Huh.  You read Penthouse for the articles?  Huh.  Strange.

But in all seriousness, my biggest problem with TV is that they don't keep the good shows going, or they move them, stop advertizing, and pretend like they don't exist.

I loved Firefly.  Best SF show to come on the tube in ages.  A big step up in maturity from the creator's previous two shows (Joss Whedon, the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it's better spinoff, Angel).  Good stuff.  Gone, even before every filmed episode was shown.  Completely done wrong by Fox, who played this wonder with no attention payed to the ordering of the episodes.  Not a good thing to do to any Joss Whendon show - especially bad for this one.

The TV is a wasteland of crap.  You'd think that, with my ability to appreciate crap, I'd enjoy that, but it's not even entertaining crap.  I can't even make fun of Friends.  Sitcoms in general have fallen (admitidly not very far) into repetitive tedium.  Even the Simpsons is no where near the show it used to be.

Of course, in fairness, TV has pretty much always been full of crap.  Looking into TV history, has there ever been a time when there was more than one or two good shows on in any given year?  EVER?

The real question we should be asking is not why television has so much crap on it; instead, we should be asking two questions:

a.)  Why is it that the success of television programs in so random?  Why is it that both Friends and MASH lasted long.  One makes sense - the other, not so much.

and..

b.)  Why do we expect so much out of TV as a medium?  It's as if we expect it to deliver something that it's actually never delivered:  Consistant and good programming, every day of the week.

But, hey, that's just my opinion.  I could be wrong.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2003, 12:51:20 PM »

My wife is a doctor and she enjoys Scrubs, mostly for its satire and silliness.

I admit that I like JAG - is OKAY (I don't claim it is high quality, but it is not, in my opinion, mind-numbingly stupid).  It is fun to make fun of (how many times do we have to be told JAG Headquarters is in Falls Church, VA, for the love of Pete), and the courtroom drama can be funny, too.  The show is campy in a way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
JohnL

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 01:33:34 AM »

>I loved Firefly. Best SF show to come on the tube in ages. A big step up in
>maturity from the creator's previous two shows (Joss Whedon, the creator of
>Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it's better spinoff, Angel). Good stuff. Gone, even
>before every filmed episode was shown. Completely done wrong by Fox, who
>played this wonder with no attention payed to the ordering of the episodes. Not a
>good thing to do to any Joss Whendon show - especially bad for this one.

I agree, except that I knew from the very first episode that it wasn't going to last. The thing that gets me is that Fox picked Firefly over another season of Dark Angel, which got decent if not great ratings. With the exception of the Star Trek franchise, there hasn't been a single space show that has survived in primetime. Even Babylon 5 had to fight for each season in syndication.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I read an article in Penthouse (no really) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.