Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:51:41 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village"  (Read 1061 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: December 29, 2003, 06:30:59 PM »

Wow!  
This film looks really cool!

It's about a village that lives in fear of a race of mythical creatues that dwell in the surrounding woods.

It was originally titled "The Woods" but has since been changed.

Here is the link to the official site and the teaser trailer is up and running.  

http://thevillage.movies.go.com/main.html

Play the trailer on Quicktime though because all of my attempts to watch it on any other player failed.

I'm so there when it comes out!

What do you think?

Post Edited (12-29-03 17:33)
dean
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 07:18:55 AM »

Am waiting for the trailer to download, but as I wait, I ponder the opening flash animation and imagine that this will be a really cool film.  When does it come out?

I'm a big fan of Shymalan [though Sixth Sense has kinda lost it's appeal a while ago] so I'm hoping it's really good.  Signs and Unbreakable are definitely two of my favourite films ever.  

His choice of soundtracks are also pretty damn cool.  So far [from the ten seconds I have seen] the soundtrack for the Village is really creepy.  That makes up half the suspense in my book.

When does it come out?  I hope we're not too far behind the US on this one...
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 08:22:16 AM »

This flick looks cool.  I hope it's better than Signs (which was, overall, a good movie, but the Aliens were just so DUMB...),

I agree about Sixth Sense.  It lost a lot of appeal to me when I saw the end - after you know what's going on, you can watch it maybe once or twice more to pick up all the clues you missed, but then it's just... dull.

Unbreakable is one fo my all-time favorite super hero movies.  Tres cool and all that.

Post Edited (01-02-04 03:50)

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
George
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 08:47:31 AM »

I must be one of the few people who thought SIGNS was not very good.  I just didn't get it.  I think there have been so many good "Alien comes to Earth" movies that this one just doesn't show me anything better than what I've seen.  Mel, Jaquin and M. Night have all done better work.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 03:49:20 PM »

I felt that Signs had a lot of Shyamalan's own personal spiritual philosophy in it, that's what made me appreciate it a lot, but I also liked the film itself too.
Ash, thanks for the info, i'm definitely there too!
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 04:13:25 AM »

SIGNS was the worst movie I saw in the theater that particular year.  

Even if the trailer is good, that's no guarantee that the movie will be anything resembling the trailer...SIGNS certainly wasn't.
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 09:43:51 AM »

jmc wrote:

> SIGNS was the worst movie I saw in the theater that particular
> year.  
>

I enjoyed SIGNS okay at the time, but then I made the mistake of watching the 'extras' on the DVD.  The commentary was nothing but a bunch of happy butt-rubbing for M. Night Shyamalan, as if the production of SIGNS was the pinacle of mankind's achievement (not just in movies, but in ALL endeavors).  I looked at my wife and said "what is THIS???"

I liked "The Sixth Sense," too.  These are the only two movies I've seen by this guy, but now he is tainted to me.  It is difficult for me to take him as seriously as he wants to be taken, and every time I hear or read his name, I think "what a joke."

In other words, having his name associated with a flick, to me, is no big selling point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 05:52:38 PM »

I like little bits in his films, but overall they've never really worked.  The best one so far has been THE SIXTH SENSE, and that relied on a gimmicky shock ending.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 02:14:32 PM »

I'll be there for his "The Village." I've seen his previous three films, and I think he is probably one of the best, new young directors out there working. Does anybody know whether he'll appear before the camera, besides directing the film? I know he has put in an appearance in his last three films.

Susan
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2004, 05:07:00 PM »

The concept looks interesting but I wasn't blow away by the trailer. I think with Shyamalan it's a love him or hate him deal like Tarrantino (with the exception of his first huge hit which everyone seems to enjoy). I liked signs, I think it was advertised falsly so those who went in had a preconceived notion of what the film was about vs what it was *really* about. "unbreakable" is a slow picture but engaging, I never tire of viewing it when i catch it on cable.

It's interesting how he does what Tarrantino does, carries some of his actors to the next film. Willis was in the first two and now Phoenix is in his 2nd. Who will be his next victim i wonder. Not uma thurman, she's all booked up with tarrantino

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.