Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:42:31 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Real effects VS computer effects « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Real effects VS computer effects  (Read 5556 times)
Susan
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004, 09:24:49 PM »

real effects vs computer effects:
Case in point: GODZILLA

one point for rubber suit man..who periodically appears in some of my favorite monster movies which require more from the imagination of the audience than quality effects

Post Edited (01-05-04 20:25)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2004, 09:39:29 PM »

JURASSIC PARK was good, but the sequels were just more of the original film and couldn't get into it to much. The original idea at the time of the insect preserved in amber was neat, but the effects wore off in more ways than one.

That American Godzilla with Broderick was one of the biggest let downs for me. They could have done the film without using the name of GODZILLA.

Genetic Mishap
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2004, 10:07:21 PM »

Me, and some friends, still attest that the original Jurassic Park has some of the best CG effects ever. The use of lighting and practical effects worked in conjunction to earn it that title.

Ditto on the Aliens. Excellent work there- the animals are intended to be "biomechanical-insectoid", so that's a big plus for the puppeteers.

Another aspect that must be considered is the animation and thought given to the effect. JP's dinosaurs are animated quite nicely, while other monster movies animate the critters all wrong. Some examples include those "Walking with Dinosaurs" ripoffs that air on the Discovery Channel every 4 months or so. Those guys can't animate the dinosaurs worth a damn. Another example? Anaconda. Holy screaming hyperactive constrictors, Batman.

Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2004, 11:28:52 PM »

Genetic  Mishap wrote:

Another
> example? Anaconda. Holy screaming hyperactive constrictors,
> Batman.
>

Yeah, didn't you just love that?  

A note to filmakers everywhere:  

SNAKES CANNOT SCREAM,
SHARKS CANNOT SWIM BACKWARD,
and HYPER-INTELLIGENCE DOES NOT MEAN KNOWLEDGE OF THINGS OUTSIDE YOUR POWERS OF PERCEPTION AND FRAME OF REFERENCE.

God, that stuff gives me the redass...

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2004, 02:45:15 PM »

If this was a poll, I'd have to vote for "real effects." As far as "computer effects" have come, for the most part, they still look fake to me. I will make one exception, and that is for "Final Fantasy." In the end, I didn't care much for it, I thought the story was weak, but, when I first saw the trailer for it, I actually thought I was watching real actors on the screen. It had to be pointed out to me, I was watching computer generated characters.

FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2004, 05:04:57 PM »

A note to filmakers everywhere:

SNAKES CANNOT SCREAM,
SHARKS CANNOT SWIM BACKWARD,
and HYPER-INTELLIGENCE DOES NOT MEAN KNOWLEDGE OF THINGS OUTSIDE YOUR POWERS OF PERCEPTION AND FRAME OF REFERENCE.

In fairness, none of these are germane to using computer genrerated effects, just stupid filmmaking

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2004, 05:10:51 PM »

As far as "computer effects" have come, for the most part, they still look fake to me.

Yeah,  dragging some fake rats stuck to a board in front of the camera is so much more realistic than, say, the creatures from "Pitch Black"  :)

I'm always amused by the 'more realistic' idea given that while some GC effects are  bad, some have been very good.  And while some 'traditional' effects have been good, some have been very...very bad

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2004, 07:34:31 PM »

It's all about real effects for me- even if they are bad (usually adding to my enjoyment of the film.)  CGI sucks

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
JackFlack
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2004, 08:18:05 PM »

Well, when it comes to monsters in horror movies, I'm always a lot more scared of prosthetics and puppets than CG creatures.  CG monsters usually just look stupid and awkward, unless they are done REALLY well.  Low budget prosthetics/puppets are a lot more convincing than low budget CG.

However, CG is VERY good for rendering energy/light effects and stuff going on in the background as mentioned earlier.

While some of the effects in MIB2 like the worms was done well, other stuff just looked plain aweful, like the tentacles on the main villain.  They pretty much ruined the movie for me (that along with a lot of other p**s-poor stuff done in that film).
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Real effects VS computer effects « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.