Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:12:39 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who digs Clock Work Orange? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who digs Clock Work Orange?  (Read 3879 times)
Velvet Brotha
« on: January 03, 2004, 02:01:46 AM »

I recently purchased this DVD and I must say that I'm a little p**sed off. This doesn't mean that I didn't like the film. I was just irritated that the film was not a very good translation of the book. Somehow, I had imagined a more surreal type environment filled with odd costumes and props. I also felt that they didn't focus on the gangs enough. Oh well... all in all I love the film and Roddy Mc dowell is a true master of his domain. Oh, and yes... this is the real first time I've seen this flick un-edited.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 03:11:24 AM »

I think there was a lot they had to change in order to tranfser the book to the film, especially some of the gang violence that would probably hurt valuable film time. It seems they chose to stick with Alex as the central character to convey the book's story/message of mankind's decision to chose good or evil and society's attempt to control that through brainwashing or technology. However the film's violence is so intense, especially for the 70's, people were distracted by the story's meaning. Kubrick himself even decided to withdraw the film from english theatres after threats were made against him and his family. Filmmaking can get real personal sometimes.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 04:58:06 AM »

I love this film!

It's one of my favorites.
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 05:03:31 AM »

Of interesting note is that Anthony Burgess, the book's author, was a dialogue writer for Quest for Fire.  Y'know, ugh-ugh, ook-ook, grunt.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 07:36:49 AM »

I like this movie.  I have never read the book, but I have to ask:  

You were expecting it to be MORE surreal?  I'm a little thunderstruck at that...

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
Johnny Z
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 09:31:00 AM »

This was a deeply disturbing movie, but I did enjoy it. I would have to think someone was on acid when they made the movie and for that matter when the book was written that it was based on.

If it's on Cinemax past midnight, it has to be bad.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 11:13:25 AM »

HAHA. it seems Burgess has a knack for making up his own languages, i heard he did that with another book he wrote too.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 11:15:26 AM »

it is a great film. if the DVD had better extras on it i'd buy it, but it doesn't even have the "lost footage" people talk about that was edited out.
Velvet Brotha
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2004, 11:41:36 AM »

Come on, Grumpy Guy... You mean to tell me that the surrealism of the film was enough to be convincing? I felt that it was poorly done. If you read the book carefully, you'll clearly see that. I don't know, I just imagined a better scenario from the descriptions in the book. Oh yeah, the gang fights would not take away from the story.... Are you people insane? ; )
Susan
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 03:07:10 PM »

rent b4 u buy?

Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 06:17:09 PM »

Ahem.  Speaking as one who has read the book and seen the film - well, if I may enlighten you ...

... Stan (as We Who Knew Him Personally were allowed to call him) .. Stan once said that a book was merely a peg to hang a story from.  Obviously he elaborated from the original book, since he saw it merely as the starting point of a story.  

Urban legend in the UK has it that Clockwork Orange was banned, when it was actually withdrawn by order of Stan himself - sorry - Stan *Himself*, as you say.  I have corrected several personal acquaintainces on this aspect of CW.

Oh - Mr Burgess did not invent the "Nadsat" language.  It is simply Russian, rendered either phonetically or in the Roman alphabet instead of the Cyrillic.  E.g. when Alex mentions "Horrorshow" - this is the English transcription of the Russian "Horrosshcho", which means "very good".  Any Polish or Russian members of the website can probably render this far better than I could.

Sdra Vyootsyee!

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 08:09:34 PM »

You want surreal?

Smoke some good bright green chronic and then sit down to watch it!

OMG!

Especially the scene where Dim and the other guy take Alex out into the woods, stick his head into the water and beat him.
"Well well well.....Well well well well....If it isn't little Alex!"

The sounds that are made each time they strike him will mess with your head if you're baked outta your mind!

Post Edited (01-03-04 19:13)
JohnL

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2004, 10:14:56 PM »

>Roddy Mc dowell is a true master of his domain.

I think you mean Malcolm...
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2004, 01:09:59 AM »

This is one that probably should go under the topic of movies I liked when I was younger.  I don't think it holds up well today...it's really dated and Alex and his droogs don't see as threatening these days after a lot of the teenage crimes that have happened in real life.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2004, 10:29:45 AM »

This is one of my 10 favorite movies.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who digs Clock Work Orange? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.