Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:23:45 AM
714431 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What movies DISTURB you the most? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What movies DISTURB you the most?  (Read 4482 times)
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2004, 08:48:19 AM »

During my military service I saw a French film called Man Bites Dog.  It's about a film crew that does a documentary about the life of a man who kills people for a living.

There are a number of scenes in the film that were flat-out disturbing, but the rape scene near the end comes leaping to mind.  It's a freakish film about the debasement of the human psyche.  Really disturbing.  REALLY GOOD, but really disturbing.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2004, 09:35:56 AM »

I must agree with Grumpy Guy that Man Bites Dog (1991) is a fantastic film.  A sequel to it that shows the hitman's life leading up to those events should be released within the next year or so.

As for disturbing, I'm gonna have to go with I Spit On Your Grave.  There are two scenes that always come to my mind when I think of this flick.  The first, like Neon Noodle said, is the scene where she cuts off the guy's penis in the bathtub then slowly and calmly walks to her living room and puts on a record of classical music.  This scene always bothered me cause it's the only scene with music in the film.  The other scene is of her running over the guy with boat and chopping him up with the outboard motor.

Das Experiment was also pretty disturbing for me.  Watching the guards shave a prisoner's head, time him to a chair, beat him and then p**s on him really hit me pretty hard.

8mm also has a scene that really disturbed me the first time I watched it.  The scene where Nick Cage beats James Gandolfini while he is tied up before setting the building on fire.  I guess it was because it was such a major change in Cage's character.  He had stayed the normal everyday guy until this point where he just snaps.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Max Gardner
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »

If we're talking horror movies, I'd say Jacob's Ladder, The Mothman Prophecies and The Devil's Backbone would be somewhere near the top of my list.
Susan
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2004, 11:53:12 AM »

Not that the movie disturbed me but "Trainspotting" comes to mind, I can never quite watch any of the scenes involving the baby

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2004, 01:15:42 PM »

Titticut Follies, an incredibly gritty documentary about life inside a mental hospital. I've only seen a couple of scenes from it, but one had footage of a patient being forcefed via a tube up his nose, intercut with footage of that same patient's body being prepared for his funeral. I usually have a pretty strong stomach, but that scene gave me a totally weird feeling for the next few days.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2004, 06:47:43 PM »

Grumpy Guy wrote:

>
> There are a number of scenes in the film that were flat-out
> disturbing, but the rape scene near the end comes leaping to
> mind.  

In general, I find rape scenes very disturbing, though some are less so than others.  I find it hard to watch rape scenes in a movie (even if not very graphic) with a female present.  It's wierd - general murder scenes don't bother me all that much, but the rape scenes do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Eirik
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2004, 11:35:27 PM »

The movie Irreversible (mad in France) is the most disturbing movie I've seen recently.  It has a 10-minute (not an estimate - at least 600 actual seconds) rape/beating scene done with no cuts, a sene where a guy gets his face literally bashed flat by a fire extinguisher (a very realistic dummy was smoothly substituted for the guy after the first bash), and a guy's upper arm bone getting broken at a 90 degree angle.  It also has a she-male prostitute flashing his genitals, and an extended scene in a gay sex club with lots of simulated sex.  Not a movie I care to ever see again... but actually a pretty powerful movie for that one viewing I was willing to give it.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

Wow
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2004, 11:55:17 PM »

I must be getting squeamish in my old age, since I would not care to even watch a movie like this.

To tell you the truth, I watch movies to for fun - to laugh, etc.  I don't care for movies that 'disturb' me.   In my last job (Law Enforcement, working crime scene investigation), I guess I saw enough disturbing stuff for real.  My first call-out my first week at that job was train vs. pedestrian, and the train won.

I once investigated a traffic collision that involved the deaths of two 15 year old girls (only one was drt, the other died after being helolifted to a level 1 trauma center).  The firefighters, cops ambulance guys, everyone was standing around joking and doing that sick stuff that happens at scenes like that.  This went on for a while, until one of the firefighters making some of the 'funnier' jokes realized that the dead girl he was making fun in front of was his very own cousin.  He'd seen her the day before.  He didn't recognize her because, well, sometimes you don't recognize people after they had been killed in car crash.

When a firefighter many many years ago, I also had to do things like cut the body of one of my friend's Dad out of his truck when he got T-Boned by a dump truck going 60 mph - with his kids standing across the street.

Also, one of the several fires I got to investigate that involved the death of a child under 5, had some extra sad circumstances.  The mother needed to go to the store, and her 3 year old son wanted to go, too.  But, she would not let him.  They fussed a little bit.  When she returned from the store, her son was dead, her husband was burned pretty badly, and her home was rubble.  Some trip to the grocery store that was.

[I guess you can see why I have a lot of nightmares]

When I was younger, I guess I liked the grosser the better, but now my perspective has changed.  And don't get me wrong, I do like fun horror movies (and other, similar genres) with all the fantastic, creative effects.  But to this description, I just say, "wow, not my cup of tea."

-I don't care to watch rape depicted on screen, certainly not a long drawn out scene.

-I don't care for gay sex scenes, and certainly not gay rape.

Sorry guys, but real life is disturbing enough for me...I watch movies to ESCAPE from that!

Peace.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2004, 12:27:49 AM »

IRREVERSIBLE was too arty for its own good....the annoying drunken camerawork and  story structure lessened the impact.

What is disturbing about it is that people are using the rape scene as a selling point.   But in that sense maybe it's no different than the exploitation films of the past, except it's not supposed to be an exploitation film.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What movies DISTURB you the most? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.