Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:53:40 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tom Cruise As Iron Man? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tom Cruise As Iron Man?  (Read 1504 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: January 11, 2004, 08:10:06 AM »

The buzz lately has been that Tom Cruise has been in talks to play the lead role of "Iron Man" of Marvel Comics fame.

I have been a fan of Iron Man for years...collecting his comics and then losing them (long story) and I do like Cruise as an actor in most everything he's starred in.

I do also admit that I think Cruise is PERFECT for this role.  
I cannot explain why I believe this even though there are hundreds of other actors out there.
I just DO.

I do expect that many of you who particularly dislike Tom will of course throw out your disdains.
No problem...just give us your reasons and why.

I'll give you my opinion right up front and say that I will be very disappointed if Cruise backs out of this role...if he is indeed in line for it.

Here's a link to Movies.com Buzzbin about his possible involvement:

http://movies.go.com/movies/I/ironman_2001/index.html

What do you think?

I say Cruise all the way.

Post Edited (01-11-04 07:15)
dean
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 09:44:26 AM »

Yeah Cruise doesn't seem like too bad a choice.  Never really read the comics, but I used to watch the cartoon.  

Though Cruise doesn't tend to act around a part, but the part acts around him if you know what I mean, that's what annoys me about him, but otherwise I don't see why he shouldn't.  It would be nice to get a no name star involved though [look what happened to Daredevil- big names doesn't mean big good movie]
Susan
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 10:51:57 AM »

Comic book to movies looks like they may be on a downward trend (more coming but the series of flops may turn audiences off from them)..may be a bad move

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 12:13:41 PM »

I read rumors of Tom's interest in this role 2 or 3 years ago.  I think he would be pretty good as Tony Stark.  Only time will tell.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 03:32:13 PM »

too short.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 06:18:55 PM »

I think the comic book craze will probably die out after this year---I don't think any of these new adaptations are going to do well.  The new SPIDERMAN will of course be a blockbuster, but I think the only ones that do well are the biggest comic books, not the second or third-tier characters that the general public hasn't heard of or doesn't know much about.
KINGDINOSAUR
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 07:45:06 PM »

I've got no problem with Tom Cruise as Tony Stark / Iron Man.  Primarily because the comic book didn't have a lot of characterization.  A huge drawback will be the emotionless face of Iron Man.  In the comics they could cheat and angle the eyes and mouth a bit when needed to boost the emotion.

I see Cruise more as the spoiled millionaire playboy who sinks to alcoholism than I do the Korean veteran with a weak heart.

I'm a little surprised that Hollywood didn't choose the James Rhodes character for Iron Man's alter ego.  I've been getting the feeling that the executives are drawing a correlation between successful comic book movies and black actors.  Especially with lackluster projects on the horizon like BROTHER VOODOO.

Scott
MOTAZart.com
Flangepart

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 01:00:28 PM »

Stark has a mustach....get Tom Sellick.
Hummm.....
That helmet will be a problim, unless they make it a clear plastic affare.
THEN watch the fan boys hit the fan.....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 01:05:15 PM »

That helmet will be a problim, unless they make it a clear plastic affare.
THEN watch the fan boys hit the fan.....

"Starship Troopers"?

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Susan
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 07:24:40 PM »

>>Stark has a mustach....get Tom Sellick.<<

how about burt reynolds? ;-)

Velvet Brotha
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 07:52:20 PM »

Well that's a relief. I thought they were gonna get some dumb ass like Matt  Damon to play Tony Stark.
Eirik
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 07:56:28 PM »

I don't dislike Tom Cruise so much as I dislike pretty much every movie he's made this side of Risky Business - especially that streak of formulaic crap where he played the cocky young guy opposite an older, wiser guru who teaches him the ways of dogfighting/racecar driving/pool hustlng/bartending/etc.  

I guess he could be good as Iron Man's alter ego (of course the guys and gals in the CGI lab will be playing the actual superhero - something I really didn't like about Spiderman, Blade II, and Daredevil).  To be honest, although I liked Iron Man when I was a kid, this sounds like just another Hollywood blaring-score special effects bonanza that will be mildly entertaining and quickly forgotten.  I was a Daredevil fan as a kid and had the same feeling about that movie and was proven right.  I think what set Spider Man apart was the really awesome underlying story with his uncle and the thug he let get away.
dean
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 11:10:53 AM »

Spiderman will always be a classic to make into a movie, there is a reason why it appeals so much in general not just as a comic.  Others are just fun for the most part.  What was fun about Spiderman and Superman were their alteregos as well [although i would've preferred more action in spiderman, and less maguire]
Unlike movies like Daredevil, where you really don't feel for the characters.  Xmen worked because it was fun, but it won't be winning any awards.  Other comics have alot to live up to when being transferred to the big screen: we expect the same yet want something different.

As confusing as that sounded, we need an interpretation of the comic, not an all out copy of the comic.  Well that's my opinion anyway.  I personally like all these comic movies provided they're made for the right reason: the telling of the story, and not just a quick easy grab for money.  Once they do that, you notice that there wasn't enough passion or effort put into the film and you just don't like it.

But don't forget, there have been an awful lot of videogames becoming movies recently, we should probably worry about them more.  Unless they decide to make 'Leisure Suit Larry' the movie, then in that case bring it on.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tom Cruise As Iron Man? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.