Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:58:24 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Dr. Atkins=Meglomaniacal Would-be Dictator? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: OT: Dr. Atkins=Meglomaniacal Would-be Dictator?  (Read 6126 times)
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 12, 2004, 12:27:38 AM »

Just a thought. and I could be off base. I remember, vaguely, a short story I read in grammar school, about how a Dictator takes control of the minds of the populace. It started with news reports commenting on his wisdom and the wonderful ideas he had to improve the species. Then, later, his name and image begin to appear everywhere. Finally, one day, the school children learn that they will no longer pledge allegiance to the flag but to .

Stick with me. Atkins, the diet guy, yeah? A few years ago, came up with the eat anything but carbs diet, everyone loved it because they could eat bacon and cheese(who doesn't like bacon and cheese?). A few brave souls questioned the wisdom and healthfulness of the diet, but where are they now? SILENCED!!! GONE!!! And now, everywhere you look, Atkins...Atkins..ATKINS!!! On TV, Radio, the internet, in print, even at Subway!! For the love of Benji.... AT SUBWAY!!!!

So, I know the guy is "dead". Or, that's what they want us to believe. How do we know he's dead? How do we know he ever existed? I've never seen a picture, heard his voice, recieved a birthday card! Plus, how many cults revolve around the teachings of a dead guy? I can name one right off the top O' my head.

Has anyone else noticed the recent glut of news stories concerning the country's "weight problem"? Every other story, all about how chunky we are....LIES!!!! Oh, yes. Brothers and Sisters, This isn't about weight, it's about a Coup d'Etat!!! Back and to the left..back and to the left!!!! This is worse than Hale-Bop or Y2K!! Y2K and The Killer Comet threatened to end our way of life...Atkins threatens to take away our beer and sticky buns!!! I don't know what course you fine people intend to take, but me? Packing up the kids, the dog, the old lady, several cases of Sam Adams, a shotgun...12-guage...pump...and heading for the frikkin hills. Are there hills in Oklahoma? No matter, I'll go all the way to Colorado if I have to! And remember, come the revolution, the guy eating the bear-claw is first against the wall!!!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Eirik
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 01:42:16 AM »

That's hysterical...  and perhaps not so far off.  The definition of obese is way too broad and fails to take into account body type.  I work with a guy who was an Army Ranger up until a year ago, and he has maintained his fitness regimen.  He's 6'3" and has  32 inch waist.  Thing is he's got so much muscle weight (his chest and arms weigh more than me) that he is technically speaking "obese".

Watch for another shakedown of fast food by the government like they did with tobacco.  It'll be based on the lie that obsese people, like smokers, cost our health care system more.  It's a lie for this simple reason: everyone dies of something and everyone puts a strain on the health system when they go.  So an obese person dying of heart disease or a smoker dying of lung cancer in their 60s doesn't cost any more than a thin non-smoker dying of the eventual ravages of time in his 90s...  in fact they cost less because healthy people hang on longer.

Remember: treason never prospers, what's the reason?  For if it prospers, none dare call it treason.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 10:30:12 AM »

LoL!!
I hear ya Deej, i'm getting real sick of all this diet Bull%&$# in America right now! What's the deal! Here's my solution if you want to lose weight folks: stop eating 4 double cheeseburgers a day, move your ass away from the tv and WORK OUT. People would be suprised how even something as simple as daily walking can burn off fat. I don't see how the Atkin's diet can be healthful for the human body considering it entails the human body eating it's own fat, NO THANKS!
But don't worry I haven't let dictator atkins get to m-BIG BROTHER IS CALLING FOR OUR MORNING EXERCISES...
...and 1 and a 2...and 1 and a 2...
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 12:19:14 PM »

Plus, how many cults revolve around the teachings of a dead guy? I can name one right off the top O' my head.

Elvis?

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 12:41:01 PM »

I heard that,Chopper.
As a man who used Atkins to go from 428 t0 403 since last October, it works for me.
Walking is good. Find a nice place to do it, and buy good shoes.
We all gotta die of somethin'....i just don't want to go badly into that dark night.
I wanna go like Dave Lister...age 183, while trying to remove a bra with his teeth....
Although, as Cat pointed out, lets hope it now your own!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 12:44:31 PM »

The Atkins Diet is only for people who don't do something that otherwise gets rid of carbohydrates.  Some lifestyles want more carbs in them

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 12:49:24 PM »

I'm sick of people following whatever the current "fad" diet is . . . period.  A few years ago, most restaurants had a "low fat" section on their menus.  Now, those same restaurants have "low carb" sections on their menus.  The bottom line is, a gram of fat has 9 calories and a gram of carbs has 4.  Calories that are not metabloized become stored fat.  If you eat 10 grams of fat, you will need to burn 90 calories.  If you eat 10 grams of carbs, you will need to burn only 40 calories.  The only difference is that your body will burn carbs first, then fat.  Try going to a gym and working out if you are on a carb-free diet.  You will find that you run out of steam pretty quickly.  I believe in eating foods rich in protein and carbs, avoiding fat as much as possible, and working out at least 5 days a week.

It will take a lot to convince me that eating a glob of fat (carb free!) is healthier than eating an apple (loaded with carbs).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 02:11:58 PM »

"t will take a lot to convince me that eating a glob of fat (carb free!) is healthier than eating an apple (loaded with carbs)."
LoL! i hear you on that one.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 02:13:39 PM »

well Flange i guess that can be a positive note if you use the diet as a motivating factor. that's my only gripe, that people usually don't use it that way.
George
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 03:04:58 PM »

"The bottom line is, a gram of fat has 9 calories and a gram of carbs has 4. Calories that are not metabloized become stored fat. If you eat 10 grams of fat, you will need to burn 90 calories. If you eat 10 grams of carbs, you will need to burn only 40 calories."

Burg...you are right.  The unfortunate part of this is that generally foods that are lower in fat replace that fat with an excessive quantity of carbohydrates.  I would say that the best thing is much like what you suggested.  Eat ALL foods in moderation (pizza is OK...just not a whole pizza) and MOVE DAILY.  Your mom was right kids.....EAT YOUR VEGGIES.
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 03:07:57 PM »

"t will take a lot to convince me that eating a glob of fat (carb free!) is healthier than eating an apple (loaded with carbs)."]

LoL! i hear you on that one.

Who has ever said that it was?

wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 03:12:23 PM »

The Atkins diet is full of s**t.To say that if you stop eating bread, well make you thinner is f**king stupid.Since the dawn of civilization we have been eating bread and you mean to tell me that we have been eating the wrong thing for thousands of years?
The best way for people to get thin is by eating a balanced diet and exercising.If you want to cut a carb out of your diet stop drinking beer.
The problem with people today is that they are too f**king lazy to exercise and don't have the will power to turn down a burger. Its fine to eat a burger on ocassion but if you eat one every day, its no wonder your fat.
The majourity of what people should eat is fruits and vegetables, with grains and dairy coming next and eating meat least.Im not a vegetarian but I do realise that you don't need to eat as much meat as we commonly do.

Smells like popcorn and shame
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 03:29:26 PM »

The Atkins diet is full of s**t.To say that if you stop eating bread, well make you thinner is f**king stupid.Since the dawn of civilization we have been eating bread and you mean to tell me that we have been eating the wrong thing for thousands of years?

Sheesh, buy a clue first next time.

Part of the point of the diet is that  we eat too many carbs for our lifestyle.  Diets have changed over the years and so have lifestyles.  Two hundred years ago people weren't sucking down soda-pop, for example.  Two hundered years ago, people werent't expected to travel 30 miles one way to sit in an office for 9 hours a day.

My wife went on the diet and it's worked great for her, but she's also a stay-at-home Mom who homeschools the oldest three of our five kids and has a very busy lifestyle taking care of them.  To say that her problem is that she's "too f**king lazy to exercise and don't have the will power to turn down a burger" is pretty idiotic on your part

The diet doesn't say to 'stop eating bread', you just cut way back on the carbohydrates for awhile and then reintrouduce them into your diet gradually until you find the balancing point.  If eating more carbs makes you gan back weight, you drop back to less.  It varies for each person

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 03:40:16 PM »

According to the Atkins diet:

BAD:

* Cereal
* Fruit
* Bread
* Potatoes

GOOD:

* Sausages
* Bacon
* Cheese
* Pastrami

??????????????? Help me out here ???????????

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2004, 03:45:05 PM »

??????????????? Help me out here ???????????

Read the book, it's a lot more involved than that.  Sausages for example, are low in carbs but high in other stuff that may cause additional health problems.  So if you think of the diet as purely 'get rid of carbs and eat anything else' then you're going to be in trouble anyways.  Cereal and bread are not 'bad', simply eating too much of them brings in more carbohydrates than we really need on a daily basis and by lowering how much of that you take in, you can lose weight, and the find an optimum level of how many carbs work for your body and lifestyle

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Dr. Atkins=Meglomaniacal Would-be Dictator? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.