Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:26:15 PM
714494 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ayone into the new "Doctor Who" show? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ayone into the new "Doctor Who" show?  (Read 904 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 19, 2006, 04:15:08 AM »

Thanks to the wonders of sat TV I'm watching a new season of this legendary English show. I had a taste of it during my childhood so when I learned new episodes were being made I knew I had to give it a chance.

For those unfamiliar (I don't know how the show did in the U.S.), the series stars an imaginary character, "the Doctor", an alien that travels through time and space while fighting all sorts of alien threats, usually with some humans as companions. The show features a prominent sense of humour, and settings and FX are deliberately kept low-key.

So, this new chapters feature Christopher Eccleston ("28 days") as the doctor, and former singer Billie Piper as her travel mate, and they are lots of fun. Eccleston makes a fantastic doctor, always finding situations, no matter how extreme, as lots of fun, while Piper keeps her character as the necessary human point of view.

About the adventures themselves, they're very varied and often lots of fun, although some episodes are deadly serious ("Dalek", for instance, where the Doctor finds the last of the Daleks,  bio-mechanical entities that decimated his race). So far, I've seen the Doctor tackle an invasion of plastic replicants, travel to the end of Earth, find the last of the Daleks and discober aliens in London. Cool. And I'm told there's another season going on already, although with a different actor playing the Doctor.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:11:56 AM »

I've seen all 27 shows. The Doctor regenerates from Eccleston into David Tennant in the final episode of the first season.

Overall I like Tennant more than Eccleston, he supposedly is a real fan of the original show. The show also ramps up the action in the second season. The Daleks do make another appearance, an old companion from the Pertwee/Baker years makes an appearance along with a certain mechanical pet. Also look out for a new take on the Cybermen.

The effects are stupendous compared to the old shows, but the show is not overwhelmed by them and the writing and acting is spot on.

Sadly Billie Piper will not be returning for the third series, Freema Agyeman will be the Doctor's new companion Martha Jones.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Neville

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 11:17:49 AM »

A pity, I though Billie Piper was great. Love that looks of constant amazement, her arguments with the Doctor and that sound English accent.

As I said, I'm following the episodes with Eccleston right now, and I don't know yet when they plan to air the second season. Looking forward, of course.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 05:27:56 PM »

I saw the Dalek episode, entitled "Dalek", and I thought it was just kinda blah.  It was about like a lesser episode of Stargate.  I haven't delved into any other episodes, though I'm told "Dalek" was actually the worst by far of the Eccelston episodes.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Neville

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 06:49:35 PM »

Yeah, that one is probably the lesser of the bunch I've seen. Too talky and serious, although it had its intersting bits, such as showing a hateful Doctor -as I said, during Eccleston's tenure he seems to look at everything with more amusement than any other emotion- and providing more background about the Daleks themselves. Not having seen most of the show's earlier seasons, I found that interesting, although I'm sure these things were mentioned as well on the previous seasons.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ayone into the new "Doctor Who" show? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.