Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:50:47 PM
714486 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Elvis « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Elvis  (Read 1205 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 06, 2004, 03:11:21 PM »

Who around here watches Elvis movies?

I've been avoiding them since I was a kid, but have recently been enjoying a few on TV. An added benefit is that unlike many cheesy movies, my wife actually has as much fun watching these as I do.

We've seen two together so far, and we're still laughing at Ann-Margret's epileptic dancing in Viva Las Vegas and Elvis' playground antics in Clambake, not to mention seeing the king hard at work in a laboratory, perfecting his secret polymer to win the boat race.

Funny that today's crop of singers can't make an entertaining movie to save their lives, but Elvis' movies are really fun and entertaining. I wonder if it's because they are try too hard to uphold an image, while Elvis wasn't afraid to be a little goofy. Could also be that they try too hard to be actors. Elvis basically played Elvis in all his movies. Different name, sure, but always Elvis, and he basically went around doing what he was good at. The real actors kept the plot rolling along, such as it was. I would sort of liken it to a Marx Brothers movie in that respect.

So, anybody else love a good (bad) Elvis movie?

Post Edited (02-07-04 19:11)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 03:50:57 PM »

Watch King Creole if you want to see Elvis actually act.  I think he could have had another career with right  guidance.  When he came back from the Army he  signed a multi  picture deal  to do all those dumb movies in the 60's.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 04:34:16 PM »

I've watched them occasionally, not in years though.  You've hit the nail on the head, they were goofy movies and didn't pretend to be anything but.  Today's crop of, um, "singers" seem to feel they have to do "important" movies, with "messages".  C'mon, just entertain us.  It is a nasty world out there, we want a 90-120 minute escape.
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 05:05:47 PM »

I like all of his 1950's movies, although Love Me Tender is pretty dull. I agree that most of the stuff he put out post-army was pretty crappy, though Flaming Star is good, and Change of Habit was pretty decent.

Best Elvis flick....King Creole.... sings Trouble...messes up Vic Morrow, CLASSIC!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Eirik
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 06:19:21 PM »

Elvis movies are interesting for me.  I enjoy them...  but only for ten or twelve minutes at a time.  I can come into any one of them at any point in the movie, know what's going on, enjoy the music, the pretty girls and the bright colors, and then turn away from it without feeling like I'm missing a thing.  I've never seen one in its entirety, in fact I've probably not seen more than 30 minutes of any given one.  But I have thoroughly enjoyed every second of Elvis movie I have watched.  Strange.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Elvis « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.