Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:04:47 PM
714473 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Commercials at the movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Commercials at the movies  (Read 2938 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2004, 09:24:51 PM »

Dang dude!

I wrote this thread last July!
Either you did a search for commercials before movies or you literally dug through over 6 months of this message board's archives!!

Post Edited (01-21-04 20:36)
daveblackeye15

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2004, 02:54:41 PM »

I remeber reading in the paper that one showing of 'Master and Commander" got a full half an hour of previews and advertisments! #$%^ing painfull.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Susan
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2004, 07:48:24 PM »

I used to love going to the movie early to watch all the trailers. Now i have to sit through an equal amount of commercials as trailers. I go to the movies to escape marketing ploys of companies trying to sell me soda and jeans and cell phones. It honestly makes the whole thing unenjoyable. I especially don't need any "be nice" campaigns either.

The only halfway amusing one is the loser kid showing off his crib like a suburban rapper - can't remember what they are advertising

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2004, 08:56:01 PM »

ROTK had a good 25 minutes of  trailers and ads. Not only are the ads irritating, but the trailers are too damned long. My God, why would I want to go to movie when you have given me enough  info in the trailer to tell me the whole plot and probably how it ends.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ryan
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2004, 11:29:29 PM »

yeah, the reason I found this was because I have to do an informative speach for Student Council, on anything. I'd heard of product commercials bening played at theaters so I went to Google and typed in "Commercials at the Movies", and found it. Does everybody here live across the country or is it all in like one state?
Ash

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2004, 11:37:12 PM »

Most of us are here in the U.S. from all different states.

There are a few from Australia and England and one person from Spain.
Lisa
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2004, 08:00:28 PM »

I was living in Santa Cruz, CA until June of last year, and I NEVER saw a full fledged commercial prior to a film.  They had the slide show ads, but not full on commercials.  We also went to movies in the Silicon Valley and never saw a commercial that I recall.

Now I live in Boston, and while I am glad to be back on the East Coast, I am apalled at the movie going experience.  The number of commercials vary from theater to theater, but there are usually at least 4 tv commercials and a couple wierd "made for theater" commercials from cingular and fandango and the likes.

To make matters worse, ticket prices are as high as $10.25 and most of the theaters are old and really rank/run down.  I really feel ripped off.  I had no idea this was going on!

I find it especially interesting that some theaters *can* afford to stay in business while charging lower prices, paying equal operating costs (or higher in the bay area most likely) and sparing customers the commercials.  Meanwhile, others cry poverty as if the commercials are the difference between success and bankruptcy.  What a sham.

Ash

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2004, 08:28:19 PM »

Lisa wrote:

"Meanwhile, others cry
> poverty as if the commercials are the difference between
> success and bankruptcy.  What a sham."

Actually, I have done a bit of reading and visited several consumer websites that are against showing ads in a theater and believe it...showing commercials IS the only thing keeping some theaters afloat.

All of the theaters here where I live are Carmike Cinemas (some of you may have heard of them) and they filed for bankruptcy in 2002.  Somehow they were able to keep most of their theaters open.
Since they filed, Carmike has blasted us here with a huge onslaught of ads before each feature.
I think it is the only way they're able to stay open...literally!

Post Edited (02-15-04 19:30)
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 12:59:29 AM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 04:22:38 AM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:

> Lisa wrote:
>
> "Meanwhile, others cry
> > poverty as if the commercials are the difference between
> > success and bankruptcy.  What a sham."
>
>
> Actually, I have done a bit of reading and visited several
> consumer websites that are against showing ads in a theater and
> believe it...showing commercials IS the only thing keeping some
> theaters afloat.
>
> All of the theaters here where I live are Carmike Cinemas (some
> of you may have heard of them) and they filed for bankruptcy in
> 2002.  Somehow they were able to keep most of their theaters
> open.
> Since they filed, Carmike has blasted us here with a huge
> onslaught of ads before each feature.
> I think it is the only way they're able to stay
> open...literally!
>

>
> Post Edited (02-15-04 19:30)
Yeah we have Carmike around here to. They do show alot of comercials. The other theatre's I go to don't seem to do that. But it doesn't bother me too much. I get more upset over paying to see a crappy movie.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Commercials at the movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.