Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:55:39 PM
714456 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Adventures of Don Juan (1948) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Adventures of Don Juan (1948)  (Read 902 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: February 18, 2004, 10:49:01 PM »

THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN (1948) - Great Errol Flynn film that has all the action of his other swashbuckling films. TCM showed this one today and was I in for a treat.

This version of the Don Juan story is filled with royal court intrigue and some light hearted humor like in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938). The sets are great and the film is nicely colorized by Turner which is fitting for an action film like this.

The film also plays with much of the mythos of the Don Juan persona that is a good combination with the action and occasional humor in this fine film. Here you see Flynn and Viveca Lindfors in the starring roles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far I have seen 7 Errol Flynn films:

Captain Blood (1935) - Good swashbuckler with Flynn playing a Doctor then Pirate.
The Prince and the Pauper (1937) - Flynn is kinda second to the twins
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - The Classic
They Died with Their Boots on (1942) - Good one with Flynn playing Gen George Custer.
San Antonio (1945) - Very good Western.
The Adventures of Don Juan (1948) - Very good.
Kim (1950) - Good film with Flynn playing a mentor/spy to a young boy.

Still have 3-4 that I would like to see:

The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936) Missed this on Saturday on TCM or AMC. Have to wait till next time.
Dodge City (1939) Planning on renting from Hollywood Video
The Sea Hawk (1940) May have seen it when younger. Hollywood Video has it.
Santa Fe Trail (1940) Bought this recently for $3.99. Will check it out later.
Virginia City (1940) Western that is said to be not as good as the rest of Flynns work.

Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 02:57:47 AM »

The Adventures Of Don Juan is an awesome flick, very entertaining and one of Flynn's last good ones. It wasn't colorized, it was filmed in technicolor. And, Virginia City pretty much sucks....but it's worth watching to see Humphrey Bogart as a Mexican bandit!!!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Scott

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 05:40:25 PM »

I wasn't sure if it was technicolor or colorized. Thanks for the info Deej. I was guessing Turner had put the color in. THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN is a great film.

Also thanks for the heads-up on VIRGINIA CITY. I think I'll wait till that one comes on cable somewhere. Can't wait to see Bogart in that one even though.

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 04:06:02 PM »

Deej said everything that I was going to say.

Scott

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 10:52:10 PM »

Noticed that on the movie poster it says technicolor. Thanks for pointing it out.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Adventures of Don Juan (1948) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.