Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:37:16 PM
714408 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who's Going To Go See "The Passion" ? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Who's Going To Go See "The Passion" ?  (Read 6264 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2004, 02:55:32 PM »

wyckednick wrote:
> My only problem is that I hope I can avoid the Bible thumpers.
> Im sure I'll end up starting s**t if they start preaching to
> me.

I'm more concerned that it will be the kind of movie that attracts old people. I generally love old people, but for a generation raised on good manners, they can be the most talkative and inconsiderate moviegoers around. Worse than kids. I actually snapped at a group of them in Cold Mountain when they started to laugh and talk loudly amongst themselves and just wouldn't stop. Apparently, they just realized they'd bought tickets to the wrong movie, and thought it was not only funny as hell, but worthy of five minutes of conversation right behind us.

When my wife and I see The Passion, it will be the latest showing we can find, after all the senior citizens have gone to bed.

As to whether it's any good, I'm optimistic. I used to love the old Bible epics as a kid, and I'm hoping this might be as entertaining. I'll leave the academic assessment to my wife, since she's the one with the divinity degree.

Post Edited (02-10-04 14:10)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2004, 07:56:59 PM »

I am not particularly religious, but I am a fan of religious movies.  My DVD collection includes:

* THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD

* THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

* JESUS OF NAZARETH

* KING OF KINGS

* GODSPELL

* BEN-HUR (not a completely religious movie, but it still fits this category)

* SPARTACUS (ditto)

I enjoy them all immensely.  Also on my "to buy" list is THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST.  I'm sure I'll buy Mel Gibson's movie when it comes out.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2004, 12:35:37 AM »

I am rather curious about this movie, so I probably will see it. From what I hear the movie is very graphic about the way it depicts the crucifixion.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Chris K.
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2004, 01:51:29 AM »

I have a special $7.50 sitting on my desk for a ticket. I do have my doubts on the film, but that still doesn't stop me from giving it at least one viewing and to see if it's worthwhile.

Maybe I'll post up a review of it as well, that is if I have the time from both my job and college assignments to do. Maybe, but not too sure.

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2004, 12:32:54 PM »

Me, probably. If for no other reason, then to see what all the fuss is about, and because I like to watch historical films.

As for its historical accuracy,  there is a cover article on it, either in this week's "Newsweek" or "Time," I'm sorry I can't remember which one. And the article points out a number of historical inaccuracies in the film. Most notablely, the film plays down Pontius Pilate's role in the crucifixation. Of course, this is a film from the same man who did "Braveheart," which at least one Scottish author called "Rubbish!"

As for myself, if one wants a critically acclaimed film about Jesus, then check out "The Gospel According to St. Matthew," which I first saw in college, and for some reason has yet to be mentioned on this thread. On the other hand, I like "The Greatest Story Ever Told," if for no other reason, then I like to find all the famous actors who appear in it.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2004, 01:01:39 PM »

Just a useless bit of movie trivia, but The Greatest Story Ever Told is the movie that first gave us Telly Savalas' trademark bald head. Apparently, someone thought a shaved head would suit Pilate. And the rest is history.

I don't know why I remember goofy movie facts like this. I imagine it's a curse many of us share.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Chris K.
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2004, 01:10:46 PM »

BoyScoutKevin wrote:

> As for myself, if one wants a critically acclaimed film about
> Jesus, then check out "The Gospel According to St. Matthew,"
> which I first saw in college, and for some reason has yet to be
> mentioned on this thread.

Forgive my movie ignorance, but I have never heard of THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST. MATTHEW. Is this availbale on video or DVD? If so, then I have to see this one.

> As for its historical accuracy,  there is a cover article on
> it, either in this week's "Newsweek" or "Time," I'm sorry I
> can't remember which one. And the article points out a number
> of historical inaccuracies in the film. Most notablely, the
> film plays down Pontius Pilate's role in the crucifixation. Of
> course, this is a film from the same man who did "Braveheart,"
> which at least one Scottish author called "Rubbish!"

And I certainly would applaud that Scottish author for that comment. Even so, I don't think I'll see THE PASSION OF CHRIST for it's historical accuracy due to my limited religious knowledge; I'll see it for the film aesthetics issue. It's somewhat easy to do research and find out the horrible blunders in BRAVEHEART and THE PATRIOT, but when it comes to religion and it's vast aray of enormous history it's a bit more difficult than one would imagine. That and it's also a very touchy issue, so if I do review the film here after seeing it, the review will pretty much go over the film aestheics.

One thing, I do wish Gibson would put friggin' English Subtitles on the release prints because we all don't undestand Aramic language. Of course, some would say that the film focuses telling the story in a visual sense, but if their is some dialouge then I would at least like to undertsand it.
-=NiGHTS=-
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2004, 02:41:26 PM »

My mind is clearer now.
At last all too well
I can see where we all soon will be.
If you strip away The myth from the man,
You will see where we all soon will be. Jesus!
You've started to believe
The things they say of you.
You really do believe
This talk of God is true.
And all the good you've done
Will soon get swept away.
You've begun to matter more
Than the things you say.

Listen Jesus I don't like what I see.
All I ask is that you listen to me.
And remember, I've been your right hand man all along.
You have set them all on fire.
They think they've found the new Messiah.
And they'll hurt you when they find they're wrong.

I remember when this whole thing began.
No talk of God then, we called you a man.
And believe me, my admiration for you hasn't died.
But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way.
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied.
Nazareth, your famous son should have stayed a great unknown
Like his father carving wood He'd have made good.
Tables, chairs, and oaken chests would have suited Jesus best.
He'd have caused nobody harm; no one alarm.

Listen, Jesus, do you care for your race?
Don't you see we must keep in our place?
We are occupied; have you forgotten how put down we are?

I am frightened by the crowd.
For we are getting much too loud.
And they'll crush us if we go too far.
If they go too far....

Listen, Jesus, to the warning I give.
Please remember that I want us to live.
But it's sad to see our chances weakening with every hour.
All your followers are blind.
Too much heaven on their minds.
It was beautiful, but now it's sour.
Yes it's all gone sour.

Listen, Jesus, to the warning I give.
Please remember that I want us to live.
C'mon, c'mon
He won't listen to me ...
C'mon, c'mon
He won't listen to me ...
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2004, 05:03:37 PM »

Yes. Well, if you believe www.imdb.com, it is avaiable in both vhs and dvd from www.amazon.com. The Italian title of the film from 1964 is "Il Vangelo Secondo Matteo." And the director is the somewhat notorious Pier Paolo Pasolini. Whatever anyone else may think of it, my professor of religion in college was quite fond of the film.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 02:36:25 AM »

Just to let you know, Mel Gibson's interview with Diane Sawyer will be on tonight 2-16-04 on Primetime at 10pm EST.

I am very interested to hear his point of view on his reasons for making this movie.

Go here for more:  

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Primetime/Entertainment/mel_gibson_passion_040216-1.html

Post Edited (02-16-04 01:48)
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 04:32:48 AM »

This has been a major topic at my church as of late(at many churches I'm sure). Infact Dr. Kelly(a very cool guy) made a big speach about it this morning. It was very inspiring.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Neville

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2004, 05:55:49 AM »

I'm going to. As I said right from the start, this one is going to be either a masterpiece or a jabootu worthy movie. I don't care about the rumors on the movie being anti-semitic. The Bible (IMHO, I don't want to start a flame war) is anti-semitic as well, so clearly any too faithful adaptation of it has very strong possibilities of being controversial or non PC.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Chris K.
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2004, 12:41:31 PM »

Last night after returning home from work, I was able to listen on on Matt Drudge's late-night radio program and hear what else he had to say about Mel's film. Now as much as I really dispise Drudge (and you might be wondering why did I listen to his show: simple, I just had to hear what the idiot had to say), he seems to be having a hard time showing his interest in the film. Drudge has been quoted as being supportive of the film, but he mentioned last night that he saw a special screening of the Diane Sawyer interview of Mel Gibson and that Mel revealed to her that he was quite depressed within the recent 13 years of his life and was close to commiting suicide, as well as during the filming of his film Mel was a witness to various "miracles" being performed on set, Christ "making him" direct the film, all the while Drudge ending it with "It's just a movie, Mel". Of course, I do find all this hard to believe. I may have said Mel was nieve and with very little common sense, but he does come across as an advertising genius when he uses these claims.

I just don't know. All I know is, I am prepped to see this interview and see if any issues are going to be discussed. And then, we can all formulate an opinion on the subject.

Chris K.
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2004, 12:59:35 PM »

On the news section of the imdb.com, THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST will open on Feburary 25th on 2000 screens, the largest for an independently produced/distributed film. And yet, most of the screening areas will be around, and I quote, "Bible Belt and in black and poor areas of major cities", as well as not include areas that are considered "Jewish, upscale, or liberal."

In Manhattan, THE PASSION OF CHRIST will play in one theatre in Times Square, but will not be screened in theatrical areas from 42nd Street to 96th Street on the West Side, while only two theatres in the "fringe areas" of the East Side will play the film. As for Chicago, it will play in only two theatres. So no matter how many prints are made from the contact printer, some of them might not make it in some theatrical areas. So check your local theatre and see if it's playing in your area!

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2004, 04:01:26 PM »

I'll be p**sed if it doesn't play here.

I'll fall on my knees, throw my hands up & yell at the sky, "JESUS & MEL, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!?"

Hehe!

Post Edited (02-16-04 16:21)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who's Going To Go See "The Passion" ? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.