Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:40:33 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT:Trade You Always Wished You'd Learned But Didn't « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: OT:Trade You Always Wished You'd Learned But Didn't  (Read 6260 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 09:36:45 AM »

Evil Matt wrote:

> True, but it rubs me the wrong way that there's like, 10
> different ways for my grandfather to get a boner, but it
> doesn't seem like there's any new drugs that actually do
> anything USEFUL.  I mean, we should have at least come up with
> a cure for the common cold by now.  We've known about it for
> God knows how long.
>

This is something I have griped about for years, also.  However, we are met with a few facts that put it at least into a bit of perspective:

1.  As stated earlier, there is not ONE CANCER, but many.   Each is different and responds to different things.

2.  My wife's a doctor, and we have talked about this sort of thing quite a bit.  She tells me that cancer is inevitable - we will all get it if we live long enough (meaning if something else does not get us first).  The real CAUSE of cancer is age.

3.  It is entirely reasonable to assume, based of human medical history, that IF a 'cure' for cancer in the generic sense is found and we prolong the human life span to about 120 years or so, another mortal process will manifest itself.   100 years or so ago, disease and trauma were common causes of death; we have improved in fighting these things and extended our lives into the age where cancer growth is more 'common.'  Getting rid of the cancer may bring us into another 'disease' regime we don't really know exists yet.

4.  As for curing the common cold, each and every cold you get is caused by a different virus.  Like cancer, there is no 'common cold.'  All that is common is the symptoms.  In fact, when you get a cold, your body DOES develop immunity to THAT particular cold virus.  You'll never get it again.  But next week, you are exposed to one that is completely different, but the symptoms of infection are the same.

I don't want to start some political discussion here, but in the same vain that you mention 'erectile dysfunction' drugs, I sorta put AIDS research.  We are spending BILLIONS of dollars on what is largely a preventable disease.  Compared to other communicable diseases like the flu, colds, Hepatits, tuburculosis, Ebola, etc, AIDS is actuallly very hard to get.  It is only prevalent in certain high risk social groups, such as the sexually promiscuous and drug users that share needles.

I am not IN ANY WAY saying we should not be doing AIDS research, nor am I even hinting to the thought that the people with AIDS deserve it.  All I am saying is that I think the politics of AIDS is driving it out of proportion to the number of people the research will benefit.  Alziemer's, Parkinson's, Hodgkins, Leukemia, various cancers, etc, are diseases that MORE PEOPLE get without it being associated with their behavior (again, meaning getting the disease is preventable, not that they deserve it), yet these SEEM to rely more on charitable contributations and AIDS gets all kinds of public money.  Maybe it just seems that way.

I lost my Father to cancer several years ago, and the last year of his life was no more comfortable than that of someone with AIDS.  We need to not politicize life and death issues (like disease research, for that matter and war, to those that oppose our involvement in Iraq ONLY because a Republican is President) and put that energy into innovation and advancement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
ulthar

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2004, 09:46:56 AM »

I don't claim to know things to the level of a true tradesman, but when I am interested in something (or need a skill for some project), I learn it by reading and trying it.  I have participated in wiring houses, I do all of my own plumbing around the house, I have done my own mechanic work on my vehicles since high school (for the most part ... now available time is more of a factor).   My skills in these areas won't win me any awards, but I get the job done.

Welding is something I have done some of, but I am not very good at it.  A few years ago I knew a guy who welded something for a guy at work one day, and word spread he knew how to weld.  Within a few months, he had quit that job and built himself a three bay welding shop, and does work all over the county.  He bought a new 1 ton truck with portable welding gear and does on-site stuff.  Pretty cool story, if you ask me.

Electronics is the big thing right now, I think.  Again, I tinker as a hobbyist - I've built some fun little circuits, usually related to some other projects.   My brother in law did radar work in the Army, and now out of the Army he does contract work for Raytheon.  That's pretty cool.

If there is one skill I absolutely DO NOT have that I wish I were better at, it would be drawing.  I can do technical drawing with t-squares and stuff, but free hand or sketching I draw at about the level of a 3rd grader.  I am not kidding.  I have no sense of perspective in my hand-eye coordination.   No graphical artistical talent at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 12:19:35 PM »

I hear you, Ulthar. I've done all kinds of household projects - wiring, plumbing, tile, drywall, concrete, decks, ductwork, and a bunch of other things. I've done minor car repairs and bodywork (not pretty, but fixed).  I'm also planning on building a new computer. Because I can learn and apply these skills, I have a nicer home than I could otherwise afford, and it's fun. People wonder why I would go to so much trouble. Frankly, I can't understand why they spend the money, and deny themselves the fun, satisfaction and learning.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2004, 12:23:58 PM »

I looked at the union option in high school. Looks great in theory - one place to apply, good benefits, equal pay everywhere. When you look a little deeper, it's a wonder any of their apprentices even manage to earn a licence, working on and off, and spending most of their practical time fetching coffees for the licenced guys. I'd never go that route.

A lot of non-union companies around, however. All the electricians I know have steady, secure jobs. They'd never work for a union either.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
raj

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2004, 12:35:54 PM »

Well put Ulthar.
raj

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2004, 12:39:21 PM »

One of my grandfathers was a butcher, my mom learned a lot about different cuts of meats from that.  Unfortunately he died when I was real young, so I couldn't have gotten the benefit of his knowledge.  For that and for speaking Hungarian.

I guess I'd like to be able to do more with cars, but now it's all electronics.  Plumbing, electrical work, carpentry. All good skills.I wish I had.  I do build my own computers, but that's getting tiresome these days.
Eirik
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2004, 12:59:43 PM »

CARS!  I'd give anything to be able to fix a car myself.
odinn7

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2004, 02:01:27 PM »

I grew up wanting to work on cars. I achieved my goal and was an auto-tech for 15 LONG years. I'm glad I am able to fix most every problem I encounter with my cars but having done that for 15 years has made me hate cars with a passion. I stopped working on cars for a living back in '97 and I don't regret it one bit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Eirik
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2004, 04:00:34 PM »

Yeah, but I bet you also don't regret knowing what's wrong and how to fix it when your car has a problem.  That skill is probably worth tens of thousands of dollars over the course of a lifetime.
Julie
New Visitor

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2004, 06:41:39 PM »

Ahh....ASH....now that would explain why for every bottle/can of grog you buy in Queensland, and I assume the rest of Australia, it says on the label that there is a 5c refund for the deposit of the empty bottle in South Australia.
odinn7

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2004, 11:41:06 PM »

Eirik,
You are surely correct about that. I hate cars but I also look at the huge money I save by being able to fix my own cars. It also helps when buying cars. I usually buy $500-$700 cars that need some kind of work, fix them for the cost of parts, and then drive them for 2 or 3 years. Saves me lots of money when you consider what payments are for new cars these days.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
ulthar

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2004, 01:07:39 AM »

If you'd like to learn butchering 'on the cheap,' hang out with someone who hunts.  I have butchered several deer that I and my friends have killed while hunting.  Both hunting and butchering are extremely useful skills to develop.

--Real Genius
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2004, 01:14:28 AM »

So if cancer is inevitable, then I can keep smoking?  : )

Very well put, by the way.

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2004, 08:25:20 AM »

While I agree that there are several forms of cancer and there is probably no one cure for everything, I wish I could have come up with one for stage 4 breast cancer (the type my sister had - lowest chance for survival).

I've come to realize that while I am happy my sister isn't in pain anymore, it seems like that pain has transferred to each of the people who loved her so much and wish she was still here.

I have decided the only way to fully accept her passing and move forward is to do 2 things:
(1) give blood as often as I can, since only 5% of people who can donate actually do.
(2) participate in the Relay for Life. I plan to walk 24 hours straight in May to help raise money for cancer research.

As for the trade of choice I wish I learned? To be an actor. I have always loved theatre and the stage but my own fears kept me from trying to make a career out of it.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2004, 04:26:36 PM »

Several trades I would like to learn.
First I would love it if I knew how to fix my car everytime something went wrong with it.I always feel embarrased when I go into the auto shop and find out what was wrong with my car was just a simple fix.
Second I would like to learn ether how to direct a movie or write scripts for a movie.My head is filled with dozens of awsome ideas for movies but I have no way of getting them out.
Lastly I would like to learn martial arts. When ever I watch a martial artists perform I am left in awe by the things they can do. I think its really cool how they can turn there own bodys into a lethal weapon.Also it would greatly help dicapline my mind and body.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT:Trade You Always Wished You'd Learned But Didn't « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.