Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:05:22 PM
714481 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Possible "The Thing" sequel? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Possible "The Thing" sequel?  (Read 1340 times)
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 17, 2004, 08:56:58 PM »

Apparently John Carpenter has stated the possibility of a sequel for "The Thing"  (check out the Creature Corner article for details:  http://www.creature-corner.com/news4/feb17thething2.php3)
I just got done watching the DVD commentary and documentary this afternoon, so my interest is piqued already.  The Dark Horse comic series were great, but I'd love to see another good original horror movie by one of our greatest horror directors.  Provided they get Rob Bottin back and use no CGI whatsoever.  CG is such a cheap copout for SFX, and there are so many great SFX artists like Bottin out there who can smoke CGI with practical effects.
Ginger Snaps: Unleashed has certainly proved that you can still make an awesome sequel without depreciating the franchise.
What do you guys think, yay or nay?

Brother R

Post Edited (02-17-04 19:59)

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
I luv dolma
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 09:08:21 PM »

Will there be dinosaurs in it?
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 09:13:54 PM »

Years ago I would have been all for this.  However, considering Carpenter's work of late (egad, "Ghosts of Mars") and what happened when some other movies I like were given a sequel ("Highlander"), I think that "The Thing" should be left alone.  It is a great movie, all by its lonesome.

Unfortunately, I am certain that sooner or later a sequel is going to be made.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 09:21:46 PM »

I swear I'm one of about four or five people who actually like "Ghosts of Mars" and "Vampires."

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 09:32:01 PM »

Brother Ragnarok wrote:

> I swear I'm one of about four or five people who actually like
> "Ghosts of Mars" and "Vampires."

I think that five might be guessing a little high...

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 09:36:03 PM »

I liked Vampires but felt that Ghosts of Mars was so-so.
I didn't hate it but didn't love it either.
Bgrade
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 09:43:49 PM »

I loved Vampires. Well made with camp and subtle aspect.
Ghosts of Mars was ok (I seen it more than once) but not up to the standards of  Carpenters other efforts.

Carpenter always adds a little something that gives a film a unique feel.  You can tell there is talent even behiond the cheapest film
Ghost lacked this and could have been made by anyone.
eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 10:16:25 PM »

.  .  .  .  You got a #4 on "Vampires," Brother Ragnarok.  Just one more and...
.  .  .  .  Creature Corner also printed that JC might want to redo "Halloween."  And redo "The Fog."  So, JC may just want to do another film, anything.  I have noo problem w/ an original director "re-working" a classic of their own.  But I would like to see "Big Trouble in... Starman" (Russel vs. Bridges),  "They Live 2: Escape From Philadelphia" (Piper vs. Snake), or "Christine's Halloween Assault on Elvis."

Edited the post, cause some info was wrong: Someone had to have posted this before but:

is where the info is on a possible The Fog and Halloween remake.

Post Edited (02-20-04 02:37)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 02:16:17 PM »

I've lost a lot of faith in John Carpenter.  His best movies were his early efforts.  He has gone steadily down hill over the years . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
gecko brothers
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 09:27:17 PM »

I liked them to an extent. Mostly the action and the beginning and sets. Personally I think Jahn just runs out of ideas at the last half of the movies. BEside some critics gave the good reviews
dean
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 11:41:39 AM »

Question:  Should there be a 'The thing' sequel?  

Answer: Why not?  Everyone expects the obvious trend towards sequels being godawful shadows of their original, so we wouldn't be surprised if it sucked, but then again it could be just what the Cinema World needed.  At least that's my positive view on things.

I thought Kurt Russel's one wasn't too bad, not blown away by it though, so I'd like to see how a sequel will go.  It's always worth a shot, provided it isn't rushed.  Rush=Ruin in my books.

Besides, it's always going to be better having a s**tty horror film than a s**tty drama or action: at least you can claim they meant to make it crap as a statement or something [that's how I justify 'Wrong Turn" at least!]
Max Gardner
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 06:32:38 PM »

Does this run parallel to the video game sequel The Thing, which Carpenter endorsed? Or would it be going off in a completely different direction?
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 07:27:08 PM »

Ain't it Cool ran a piece on this and Harry Knowles talked to JC himself and this ain't in the works.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Possible "The Thing" sequel? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.