Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:28:53 PM
714483 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Your Significant Other (and my poor prospects) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: OT: Your Significant Other (and my poor prospects)  (Read 2632 times)
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2004, 02:04:57 AM »

"I'm only mad at those who look at single people like they're a freak of nature. Then the single people begin to feel like that."

true, when anyone is forced to live within the norms of the current society they live in they start being forced to be adapted to them. like with me, i'm 23, still single and no kids. however i started feeling lonely because in the military it seems like everyone gets married right out of high school and has a kid when they're 20-21. a lot of them get divorced, some don't, i don't know the exact figures, i'm not the pinhead who gets paid by the government to collects these stats.
my point being: i realized it wasn't me with the problem. because i'm not like all the other idiots who went and had a kid/got married when they were way too young so now they'll have to stay in for the rest of their lives!! atleast i'm free to do what i want to, wether if it's getting my degree and getting out, or becoming a professional mercenary in the congo!
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004, 04:07:06 AM »

My opinion:  You can't get chicks because you use the word "thang."  ;)

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2004, 11:46:46 AM »

My wife and I got married in Las Vegas.  She is from Brazil and her visa was going to expire, so we got married.  Our plan was to have a formal wedding the following year and invite family and friends.  We actually planned a wedding for about 175 people and put a deposit on the function hall.  A few months before the wedding, our apartment was burglarized,  They stole everything of value that we owned . . . and we had no insurance.  We decided to postpone the wedding, but one thing led to another and we never rescheduled it.

We have been married almost 10 years now . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2004, 06:42:35 PM »

I actually asked my wife out the first time to make someone who worked for her jealous, but  that certainly backfired.  We were talking about getting married within three weeks of our first date, officially were engaged in less than two months and married within five.  That was over 22 years ago  and we are still going strong.

We've lived in three states, raised two kids (21 and 19), and been through a lot of  that life stuff.  She was divorced with no kids when we married and I have never actually seen the guy.  

Just watch for your chance, but keep in mind that  sometimes fate will hit you on the head when your not looking.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2004, 11:52:05 PM »

You know, I don't even really belong here(I'm 22 and single) but I just wanted to put in my two cents. The first time my mom went to a bar she got hit on. The guy that asked her to dance I call dad. My mom's friend Nancy met her husband while driving down the street one night. From all the people who are married that I've talked to about this they all say the same thing,"When the right person comes along, you'll know it."  On the other hand, My uncle is in his 50's, single and perfectly happy. The way I see it, if I find the right woman, I'll mary her and probably have a few kids. If I don't, oh well.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Eirik
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2004, 11:34:52 AM »

ASHTHECAT - My wife was a co-worker of a friend of a fried.  One day, my friend called and said his friend's work (a restaurant) was having a Christmas party, and he wanted to know if I felt like dropping in for a few free drinks.  I had plans to hang out with another friend and almost declined...  but my other friend's girlfriend ha been getting on my nerves, so I cancelled on them and went to the Christmas party instead.  So I met my wife through a friend of a friend at a party I honestly almost didn't go to.  I was 24 at the time.  It's like lightening, dude, it'll be random and when you least expect it.

I proposed 1 1/2 years later at a graduation (for me from grad school) party in front of everyone with her not expecting it.  I scored huge points for that from everyone except my single guy friends who were there with their long-term waiting-for-a-ring girlfriends - those guys were p**sed.

We got married at the Chapel at Georgetown University in Washington DC, which I am told was in The Exorcist (haven't seen it since the wedding, so I can't confirm that), which is a neat Horror Movie tie-in.  Honeymooned in Europe which rocked.

Marriage is great...  for me.  I honestly believe it isn't for everyone - something to at least consider.  And I urge you never to do it just for the sake of doing it or just because your mom wants you to.  My wife and I get along better than anyone we know...  but it's HARD WORK.  Good marriages don't just happen because two people are right for each other.  I don't care how right two people are - it's an uphill climb.  And I say this as someone with few financial worries and three so-far healthy kids.

Your two hang-ups (age and she already has kids) are completely understandable, to me at least.  Generation gaps are huge and also consider that someone who is 20 may not want to marry or have kids for a long while - she'd be at a different stage of her life.  You two would be on different schedules.  Also, maybe this is cold, but I just don't think I would ever want to raise and support someone else's kids.  But there are men better than me out there who will, and my hats off to them for being able to do that.

Anyway, for what it's worth, there's my opinion.  Good luck.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2004, 12:47:30 PM »

I never thought I would get married.....

For what it's worth, my mom probably is never going to be a grandmother either.
raj

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2004, 02:05:33 PM »

39, still single, and as I get older, I get more set in my ways, and have even less desire to get married.  My mom can't understand someone not wanting to get married, but I guess I take after my uncle, who's in his sixties and never married.

I know of people who'll go from one relationship to another just because they seem to need to be with someone.  I'm probably just the opposite.  I've got no "need" to be in a relationship, but if the right one comes along, then fine.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2004, 02:26:44 PM »

That's a healthy attitude.   It's much better than flailing around desperately.  I spent some miserable times with activities and people that I really wasn't interested in just in the hopes that I would "meet someone."  

One thing about being married....I don't know if I would have been as diligent about keeping healthy if my wife wasn't there to prod me into it....we discovered a couple of serious health problems I didn't know I had that probably would have caused me a lot of trouble in a few years.  Without my wife, I doubt I would have bothered to get checked out until something bad happened.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Your Significant Other (and my poor prospects) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.