Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:39:34 PM
714500 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ahem, Oscars. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ahem, Oscars.  (Read 4524 times)
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 01, 2004, 01:55:05 PM »

Gee I get into work around 12:30, and not one post yet on Return sweeping the Oscars?  Peter Jackson even mentioned Meet the Feebles and Bad Taste in his acceptance speech (probably the only time those movies will ever be mentioned at that show).

This was the first time in at least 20 years I actually sat through most of the show.  It was ok, but not like I've been missing anything (I can't stand award shows).  

Thoughts on who won, or should've won?
Chris K.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 02:07:51 PM »

I was quite pleased that Peter Jackson won for Best Director and impressed that he mentioned BAD TASTE and MEET THE FEEBLES (what, no BRAINDEAD), which shows that he is still proud of his earlier work. Jackson really deserved the Oscars. And now because of this, Jackson will be able to work more within the film system. However, I do wish he would make just one more horror-splatter-comedy for old times sake. I like THE LORD OF THE RINGS trillogy, but his earlier work speaks more volumes than ever before.

Now, will Blue Underground please obtain BRAINDEAD for an "Ultimate Edition" DVD release with the tagline reading "From the Academy Award winning director of THE LORD OF THE RINGS." It would be great.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 02:22:45 PM »

I was pretty pleased, but very surprised.  I liked ROTK the least of the three films and figured that the voters only judged the films one at a time, not as an entire work.  I thought that if the previous two films didn't do it that this one certainly wouldn't.  A nice vindication for Jackson.  

However, I don't think this will mean a greater acceptance for science fiction and fantasy films at the Oscars...unless their source material is as good as Tolkien.
eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 02:25:18 PM »

.  .  .  .  Perhaps the ending of "King Kong" will include a giant splatter.  And if I know my primates, they tend to excrete and play with themselves, I know it's not duct tape and staples, but maybe, maybe...

Post Edited (03-03-04 00:49)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 03:21:46 PM »

I caught most of the show.

It was pretty good except for Sean Penn winning best actor.
I haven't seen Mystic River yet but I have never liked Penn.
I could never put my finger on why I've disliked him either.
I think it's his physical appearance.  Who knows?

Johnny Depp's performance in Pirates of the Carribean should've taken it.

When they announced Penn's name as the winner I said out loud, "Aw that's bulls**t!"

Oh well...
Eirik
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 03:31:07 PM »

Boring show in my opinion.  Glad LOTR finally got Best Picture.  It bugs me though that the first two were passed over so they could reward him for all three on the third one.  I liked ROTK slightly less than the other two too, and I really thought the first two were the best pictures of those years.  Frankly I think Master and Commander was right up there with ROTK and could have won too.  I hate when Oscars reward people for stuff from previous years because someone always gets screwed.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 03:53:42 PM »

LOTR was the inevitable winner this year.  I haven't seen the third installment yet (I'm waiting for the director's cut DVD).  I'm certainly not a LOTR worshipper (I have never read the books, I have seen the first movie once and I am only half way through the second), but I will go on record as saying that it is probably the greatest trilogy of all time (yes, better than the original 3 STAR WARS movies).  THE GODFATHER would be the greatest trilogy of all time if they hadn't messed up part 3.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 04:49:17 PM »

It did bother me a little bit too, it seems to me that the Oscars should be based on a single year, and everything that happened before that period shouldn't be considered.  But of course people can and do consider past years, the same way they give acting Oscars for subpar performances just because the person "deserves it" for earlier work.  

The LOTR trilogy is much better than the Godfather as a whole [even though the first two Godfather films are way above any of the LOTR films] just because the Godfather story should have ended after the second film.  I'd say it's also better than Star Wars just because the source material is much better.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 08:50:21 AM »

It was good to see Jackson get some offical Hollywood recognition.  Glad he won best Dir/Picture.  Good job!

Did kind of bother me that Sofia Coppola cleaned up at the oscars.  Lost In Translation was decent but not life changing as many believe.  It was way too overrated.  American Splendor should have won the best adapted story award because Harvey Pekar's work is amazing.

It was also good to see Charlieze (sp?) Theron get best actress.  I haven't seen Monster yet, so I'm having to go on the opinion of the reviews I have read which all praised this film.  I do believe that Naomi Watts had what it took to win the Oscar with her work in 21 Grams which is quite possibly the best film I saw of last year.

I agree with Ash about the best male Oscar.  Sure we all know that Sean Penn is an amazing actor (and director).  But, why not Depp?  He is quite possibly one of the best actors of our time and very few seem to realize it.  Haven't seen Mystic River yet so I can't really say that Penn didn't deserve it for the film.  It just would have been nice to see Depp really get some appreciation.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 10:04:58 AM »

I saw the whole show, by myself, with my dogs and Ice cream...substitute dogs with  cats....and I've turned into an old lady. I like Sean Penn, but I also was hoping Johnny Depp would win, and I also liked Jude Law in Cold Mountain(yeah, I liked Cold Mountain).Good for Charlize Theron and Renee Zelwatsit. Was hoping the Cold Mountain songs would win, because they is folksy and I is an OKIE! Thought it was hysterical how towards the end people were thanking LOTR for NOT being nominated in their category.

As for LOTR beating The Godfather out for best trilogy of all time. YOU'RE INSANE!!!!! The Godfather....handsdown...I even thought Part 3 was okay. The Godfather...I say..LOTR is just a passing fad, like horseless carriages and the rock and roll. GET OFF MY LAWN....damn kids!

I just didn't get the LOTR thing, not saying it's bad....I just don't get it. I am happy that Peter JAckson has done so well, as I am a fan. My favorite trilogies, In descending order:

The Godfather

The  Musketeers Trilogy (by Richard Lester)

Indiana Jones.....because I grew up with them and they really should just leave it!!! No number 4..no number 4....number 4 would more appropriately titled "Number 2".

Post Edited (03-02-04 10:27)

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 11:05:56 AM »

Deej,

Right on about LOTR.  My wife is one of the semi-fantatics when it comes to Tolkien.  I myself was never really that enthusied about the films having only read the Hobbit back in grade school.

Star Wars and The Godfather series are the absolute best trilogies of all time.  LOTR is good, but not great.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 01:43:43 PM »

Godfather 3 is one of the worst films ever made by a supposedly "great' director.
The movie just didn't need to be made, though the main reason it failed is probably due to Sofia Coppola.  It's a good thing she's decided to become a director because she sure can't act.  

It sounds like everyone hated the actual Oscar show this year.   I haven't actually watched it in years, but I'm always interested in who wins.

I don't know if there's ever been a trilogy where all three films were great.  There's always one weak link, and a lot of the time it's the final film.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 01:49:07 PM »

I agree about Sofia Coppola.  Terrible horrible sad acting.  Ugh.  I just wanna vomit when hearing her talk.  BORING!

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2004, 03:31:06 PM »

I agree on Depp. He's one of those actors I don't really want to like, just because of his "Hollywood Heartthrob" reputation, but the more I see of his work, the more I realize he's a damn good actor. His portrayal of Hunter S. Thompson in Fear & Loathing has become one of my all-time favorite performances.

Also, I knew it'd never happen in a million years, but does anyone else think Crispin Glover should've at least gotten a nod for Willard?

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2004, 03:51:54 PM »

Ack!

I forgot all about Fear & Loathing.  Amazing stuff.

As for Williard.....I'm gonna have to disagree.  Didn't like that film too much.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ahem, Oscars. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.