Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:37:04 PM
714500 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  If The Muppet Show Returned... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If The Muppet Show Returned...  (Read 2597 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: March 03, 2004, 06:35:55 PM »

Many of you have seen the latest Pizza Hut commercials starring The Muppets.

Seeing them just makes me wish that they'd bring back The Muppet Show!
I'm talking all new shows starring ALL of the old Muppets with new celebrity guests.
That would be so cool!
I'd definitely watch it.

I have always been a big fan of The Muppets since I was a boy and I think bringing them back could make them bigger than ever.

If they did, I could only hope that they'd leave out cheesy guests like Justin Timberlake or Ricky Martin or....well I could go on & on.

Would you watch an all new Muppet Show if they brought it back and what guests would you like to see?
What would be the best day of the week to show it on?

Post Edited (03-03-04 17:37)
Bgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 07:38:32 PM »

Bring back the muppets for sure.  As long as you keep it about the same. A stupid Muppets show would really crush me.

I would like to see Alice Cooper make a return trip.
Julie
New Visitor

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 08:15:49 PM »

Oh boy....what I wouldn't give for The Muppet Show to be back on!  I find myself here in Japan watching Sesame Street at times, hoping to catch a glimpse of an appearance by a Muppet.  Sad I know, but it's what I grew up on, and have always loved them.  Putting it on a Monday night would definitely make my week!!!
GO ANIMAL....grrrr!!!
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 09:42:55 PM »

One of my favorite videos when I was little was "Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff." Normally, I prefer seeing complete episodes, but if you ever come across this tape, because it's really a great compilation; as the title implies, it's a collection of the strangest bits from the show, with host segments featuring Gonzo and Camilla, with occasional appearances by Kermit. My favorite bit has to be Vincent Price singing "You've Got a Friend."

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 01:43:17 AM »

Would I watch if they brought it back? HELL YES!! Animal is the man! :)

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Tilebreaker
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 02:08:23 AM »

It's returned several times already, it's first return flopped pretty badly.  The  second return lasted maybe a season. What's bad is it followed the traditional formula of the first muppet show, wacky show, guest etc... and the second return didn't, and it still didn't last.  The one Guest I remember is Prince.

On the bright side Disney now owns the muppets and they'll squeeze the life out of anything for the cash.  So maybe they'll be one soon.
JohnL

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 02:47:24 AM »

I wouldn't watch it. I never watched the original show. I haven't watched any of the muppet movies. I never saw the appeal of the muppets.

Post Edited (03-04-04 01:49)
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 07:51:10 AM »

I would think that the problem with the muppet  show coming back is that I think celebrities are much less distinctinve and interesting and fun then they were back during it's original run.  It's much harder to build a show around a personality and style when there's not much there to begin with

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 09:22:28 AM »

I would probably watch it if it came back on.  How could I not, considering that I had grown up on it.  I do have a feeling that it wouldn't be as good though.  Especially considering the fact that Disney does now own the rights to the muppets.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Nathan Shumate
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 09:42:04 AM »

...that Jim Henson is a dozen years dead, and things don't work as well without him.  He and Frank Oz playing off each other (with Oz either as Fozzie or Miss Piggie) was really the magic of the show. The current producers (including Brian Henson) realize this, and have relegated Kermit to an advisory capacity (hey, not unlike Remington Steele) in more recent outings like Muppets From Space (which focused on Gonzo and Rizzo) or th Muppet Show revival of the last decade, Muppets Tonight (which gave us Clifford -- who? -- as the official host).

Rather than see a half-hearted attempt at reviving what honestly can't be revived, I think I'll just buy the collector's DVDs.
raj

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 12:37:04 PM »

I would like to see it come back-- heck, what with all the media trying to clean up their images I'm surprised someone doesn't bring it back.

Quality is an issue though.  Don't bring it back if it sucks.  Keep it zany, with stars making fun of themselves.
Flangepart

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 01:44:44 PM »

Gotta agree with Nathan
 and The Freep.
The Celebs today are so white bread. Vinnie Price...he was perfect for the muppets! Distinctive style, great voice, and a cool sence of humor, including about himself. Thats key. You have to lose yourself in the Muppet world, to make the interactions work well. Look at Joel, Mike and the bots.
Yeah...with out Jim, the spirit of the show dwindled....and the spirit of a show is a hard thing to fathom or calculate.
But, ya do know when its gone. Espchualy in a comic show like this.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Eirik
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 02:05:54 PM »

I mentioned this to my wife and learned something about her.  When she was a kid, she was frightened of muppets and would cry uncontrollably whenever they came on (Sesame Street included).  She says she wouldn't want to watch a new Muppet Show.  I am married to a coward.

My only reservation would be the voices that Jim Henson did.  If they didn't get someone good, it wouldn't be the same.
raj

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2004, 02:24:36 PM »

Frightened of muppets?  I shouldn't be laughing, we all have our phobias, but muppets?  It's not like they're clowns . . .
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2004, 02:51:52 PM »

Eventhough I loved the muppets as a kid, I can actually see how a child could be frightened of them.  They are strange colors and sometimes quite hairy.  Imagine having a nightmare about them as a child.  Or even seeing Meet The Feebles as a child and getting the two confused.

Now as for clowns...........

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  If The Muppet Show Returned... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.