Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:33:43 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  If The Muppet Show Returned... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If The Muppet Show Returned...  (Read 2598 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2004, 06:28:34 PM »

I can't imagine a kid being scared of any and all muppets, but there were a few that had a pretty monstrous appearance. Sweetums was pretty nasty looking, although he was generally played as a big, furry sweetheart.

The sad thing is that the muppet show would never come back exactly as it was, because somebody would feel the need to update it and make it hip. I'm sure the vaudeville theatre setting is so far from anyone's experience that it would never be kept. Likewise, a lot of the best characters were products of another time - Fozzie's old-fashioned standup, Dr. Teeth and his very 70s band (had a poster of them for years), etc. And, as Freep said, today's celebrities are a bland bunch, and wouldn't offer much variety in guests. I also wonder how many would want to sing and dance with muppets. Then again, they probably grew up on Muppets like the rest of us.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Susan
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2004, 07:46:39 PM »

it's not the same watching the muppets without jim henson
They did try to revive the muppets for awhile just a few years back..it wasn't the same

Post Edited (03-04-04 18:47)
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2004, 05:47:46 AM »

it's amazing what will scare the kids. My daughter was watching Harry Potter 2 yesterday and started whimpering when Ron started to vomit slugs.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Yaddo42
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2004, 11:23:13 AM »

Like AndyC has said the premise of the original (a run down vaudeville variety show that guests were usually "acting" reluctant or uneager to be apart of) is so far removed frm what the audience for a new version would be familiar with.

Besides true variety shows are pretty much dead now. There aren't the type of well known performers capable of doing sketches and broad musical comedy numbers (usually of other people's songs). I'd love to see someone like Christopher Walken (who in addition to being creepy is a very talented theatre song and dance man, just look at Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" video or some of his better SNL appearances) or even Crispin Glover do the show. Jessica Simpson seems to be the kind of minorly talented "all around entertainer" who might work on the show, I figured that's why they put her in the Pizza Hut ad, but most of her fame now comes from being a naive, pampered, and dumb fading pop star on a "reality show." When she was on SNL, the only time she really seemed to come alive was during that "Lashey Family Variety Show" musical number during the monologue.

I'd love to see some of the olds Muppet Show eps again - Alice Cooper, Bob Hope, John Cleese, Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers, Shirley Bassey, Raquel Welch.

Nowadays, we'd probably get: Clay Aiken, Britney Spears, David Spade, Kathy Griffin, Michael Ian Black, and either Lindsey Lohan or Hillary Duff.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2004, 12:00:10 PM »

Yaddo,

The scary thing is that I believe that Michael Ian Black would actually fit in.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2004, 01:57:27 PM »

The Muppets kick ass. I bought some of the dvd of there shows and I still reguarly watch them.I would love if they brought the Muppet show back but Im kinda worried because Disney recently just bought the rights to the Muppets.

Smells like popcorn and shame
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2004, 08:49:18 AM »

I don't think I would watch it.  After about 1 season of the original show, I lost interest.  Plus, the Muppets have not been the same since Jim Henson died.  I'd rather watch reruns of Sesame Street.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2004, 09:16:13 PM »

Michael Ian Black is such an idiot! I can't stand that guy.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Yaddo42
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2004, 07:30:31 AM »

To each their own, Skaboi. I've just never been a fan of MIB, his comedy troupe The State, or any of their projects or series.

A lot people seemed to find him amusing on VH-1's "I Love the (your decade here)" shows, but I quickly got so tired his attempts at stone-faced irony that I could almost predict exactly what he was going to say during the first time I watched any of them.

Now LEWIS Black on a new Muppets show, I'd go for that. I can see him being stuck having to deal with Beaker, Animal, or the Swedish Chef, and exploding over not being able to understand any of them. Or maybe bonding with the larger monsters.

I'd like to see Rob Zombie too, who's about as close to Alice Cooper as we have these days. Plus I've seen him in enough interviews to see that he has a sense of humor about himself.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  If The Muppet Show Returned... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.