Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:00:05 PM
714402 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Tipping « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: OT: Tipping  (Read 10052 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2004, 01:19:06 PM »

George wrote:
> My question would be.... What do you tip an "exotic dancer"?  I
> haven't been to an establishment like that in years.  Is it
> still $1.00??

Well, here in Canada, every bill smaller than a five was changed to a coin years ago. Back when my friends and I visited the peeler bars (on rare occasions), we'd typically roll up a two. Of course, it's hard for the dancer to take a coin out of your mouth, so I imagine it's up to five now. Still, back when the two-dollar coin (toonie) was introduced, I did have a couple of buddies who saved every two dollar bill they got for this very purpose. At one stag party (we used to rent a bus and visit several establishments) these guys were selling the bills to the rest of us. I imagine the dancers were pretty surprised to see so many in one night. Virtually none of them were still in circulation by that time.

Oh, in response to Scott's post, if a waitress ever asked me for a tip, I sure wouldn't give one. And if she told me not to come back, I'd have a word with her manager.

Even though I accept that tipping is proper etiquette, and that people count on the money, it's still my choice to leave the tip, and my decision as to how much I give. I think, with all of the guidelines and expectations, the idea of a gift freely given has been lost. Demanding a tip, to me, is crossing a line. Likewise, giving deliberately poor service to a lousy tipper is unprofessional. Tipping might be customary, but the only obligation a customer has is to pay the bill. Anything over and above that should be appreciated.

And, as I've said, there are sometimes good reasons for a small tip that have nothing to do with the waitress. If I walk in with a $20 bill, and my dinner comes to $18.50, then the tip can't be more than a buck fifty. I'm not digging out my credit card or ordering something cheaper just for the sake of the tip. Also, if I'm taking a group out for a dinner that comes to, say, $150, I can hardly afford that, much less an extra thirty for a 20% tip. If $10-$15 is the best I can do, then that should be appreciated. It's more than I had to give.

Likewise, I don't agree with automatically adding the tip to your bill. A friend of mine got married a few years ago, and after gouging him on everything you could imagine (corkage, decanting fees and other cash grabs), the hall owners actually included a percentage for gratuities. We're talking a couple of thousand bucks on top of an already bloated bill. That is a total ripoff, but they all do it.

I understand that there are even some restaurants that calculate tips automatically on meals (and occasionally get double tipped by the unwary). That doesn't seem right to me. Tipping must be done of the customer's own free will, or I think it becomes meaningless. It would be more honest to raise prices, raise wages and adopt a no-tipping policy than it would to impose a compulsory tip. It's just an added fee at that point.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2004, 02:54:33 PM »

I wasn't sure if you were joking or not. I was afraid to say "I hope you are joking" and I didn't want it to turn out that you were serious but I really don't know what I was thinking last night because I was in a weird mood where I was somewhat in a joking mood and yet also in my "Hyper Cautionious Mood where I don't want to annoy anyone at all" So I'm very sorry about my last post Mr. Ragnarok I never meant to get on your nerves.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Blankman
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2004, 04:15:15 PM »

as far as the pizza guy, me and the wife tip $8-10 each time. Why? because of one person. He delivered to us in the POURING rain and I saw him turning back to my house when I was getting home. I asked if there was a problem, and he said 'your wife gave me too much money'.

Now THAT'S a cool delivery person. I guess he wasn't used to genuine human kindness. Karma has a funny way of turning on ya, better to keep the positivity flowing.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2004, 04:23:59 PM »

Mr. Ragnarok

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
daveblackeye15

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2004, 08:28:17 PM »

ASHTHECAT Said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!>

What's wrong with Mr. Ragnarok? It means I respect him, ASHTHECAT. And I'm done posting this at this topic. I misunderstood Brother Ragnarok in thinking that he was being serious and now I regret my foolishness. So let's end this because it's kind of ridiculus (ms) on how long I've kept this running. Deal?

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »

Oh...I wasn't mad at you Dave.

It's just that I've met & hung out with Brother R. and the thought of calling him Mr. Ragnarok is hilarious!

Trust me...it is!
Susan
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2004, 08:59:53 PM »

Scott wrote:

> Ok, I have one for all of you. Do you tip at a Buffet?

If they provide table service, yes. Even panchos mexican buffet i leave a small tip...because a waitress serves you drinks, food, appetizers..etc. I go to one chinese restaurant where the tip isn't left on the table but added to the bill. I don't tip but the bare minimum there since the waitresses only refill drinks and that's it. if i got no real service i don't tip at all.

Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2004, 09:57:55 PM »

As far as the pizza guy, a little thing I picked up from my parents: I write the check out to a nice round number over the cost and that's their tip. I always tip them well, since they're driving it out to me. As for tipping strippers, I'm not ecactly sure how it works. A friend of mine is a part time stripper(and I hear she makes killing for tips most of the time).

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2004, 10:45:42 PM »

Ash is right, that's pretty funny.  But Dave, calm down, dude.  No harm, no foul.  You never got on my nerves, I promise.  Now stop apologizing profusely and go back to being the groovy dude you are.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
daveblackeye15

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2004, 10:50:30 PM »

Brother Ragnarok:

Deal!

Dr. Dunkenstein
New Visitor

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2004, 11:21:38 PM »

The only time I didn't tip was at a Happy Joe's The waitress dropped a slice of pizza on one of my friend's backs, and then just walked away. Nobody could believe she did it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Tipping « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.