Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:16:26 PM
714452 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  KUNG FU - season one « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: KUNG FU - season one  (Read 1416 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 18, 2004, 12:12:28 PM »

I unwrapped my KUNG FU season one DVD set yesterday and watched the pilot episode.  I haven't seen the pilot movie or the any episodes of the series in many years, but, boy, it was worth the wait!

The picture quality isn't quite as sharp as I would have liked, but that's okay.  

Also, you can clearly see the face of David Carradine's stunt-double in a few shots.

Carradine is excellent as Kwai-Chang Caine, the Chinese-American halfbreed Shaolin monk.  As the pilot film opens, Caine is walking across the desert of the American west.  We learn that he is wanted for murder in China and is on the run from Chinese authorities.  (Later in the series, he embarks on a mission to locate his brother Danny Caine).

The mix of "old west cowboys," "far east philosophy," and martial arts is great.  Caine is a peaceful man, but when he needs to defend himself, he opens a serious can of "whoop ass."

The extras include a documentary about how the show was conceived and pitched to ABC television executives.  (David Carradine is looking very old and feeble these days).  Also, director John Badham (of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, BLUE THUNDER, etc.) appears.  He was one of the directors who worked on the series.  John Saxon also shows up in the interviews (he was a guest star on the series).

I can't wait to launch into each and every episode of this great series.

Post Edited (03-18-04 11:14)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 12:56:33 PM »

I think that I just might have to pick up that set Burgo.  Kung Fu is a fantastic show, and I would love to own it.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Yaddo42
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 11:46:47 AM »

If I ever get "unpoor" again I'd like to pick this up, although I really like the second and third seasons better.Somewhere around here I've got an episode guide I picked up in a clearance bookstore. Lots of interesting snippets of info and ministories from Carradine and some of the others involved in the series.

I used to watch this all the time on TNT, plus I liked that since they showed them in order you could watch his hair grow over the run of the series, until he shaved it and adopted a whole new outfit around the time of theepisode with Cannonball Adderly and Jose Feliciano and later the  wrapup story arc around finding his half-brother.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 01:11:28 PM »

Yaddo:

They talk about the hair issue on one of the "extras" interviews.  Carradine said that he just let his hair keep growing throughout the series.  One day, he showed up on the set with his head shaved.  The production crew was surprised because he was supposed to have hair.  They asked him why he shaved his head and he said, "It's something that Caine would have done."

I had forgotten some of the guest stars:

* Barry Sullivan (from the pilot episode)
* Brandon Cruz (from THE COURTSHIP OF EDDIE'S FATHER - he looks like a bum on the interview track . . . scruffy looking, wearing a stocking cap, hoop earrings, a chipped tooth in the front of his mouth . . . )
* John Saxon
* Jodie Foster
* Harrison Ford
* Mako

. . . to name a few.

Post Edited (03-19-04 12:12)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 12:13:42 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:
 (David Carradine is looking very old and feeble these days).

I had just seen a clip of a recent interview on TV last week, and remarked to my wife how much like John Carradine he's looking these days.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 03:38:27 PM »

What memories. And seemingly every Asian actor in Hollywood at that time. Benson Fong, Richard Loo, Keye Luke, Philip Ahn, Victor Sen Yung, Robert Ito, and James Hong. One of the better and more memorable pilot episodes. Besides Barry Sullivan, also providing support in the pilot episode were Albert Salmi, Wayne Maunder, Radames Pera, and Keith Carradine.

Dutchman
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 06:35:18 PM »

Kung fu was my favorite show when I was a kid, & I was looking forward to the dvd release...but, I read on the Mobius forum that although the show was actually shot at 1.33:1(full frame), the dvds are matted as to give the impression of widescreen. Fake letter-boxing that actually impairs the original picture. If thats true, I think it's a pretty crappy idea.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 08:37:39 AM »

Dutchman - It's true.  The DVDs are in matted widescreen format.  But I don't think it takes much away from the picture.  I'm not sure of the exact aspect ratio, but it appears to be about 1.66 : 1, or maybe not even that extreme.  It would be much worse if they used a more extreme aspect ratio.

So far, I have watched the pilot episode, and 3 regular epidodes.  What a great show!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  KUNG FU - season one « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.