Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:13:35 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hellboy, glorious Hellboy! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hellboy, glorious Hellboy!  (Read 3585 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: April 02, 2004, 10:01:38 PM »

I saw it this afternoon and it is GOOD!  Be prepared to laugh your ass off. Plenty of action, one liners, a little romance, and just the right amount of character development.

del Toro is to be admired for giving comics the proper respect as a story telling art form.

And by the way, Ron Perlman RULES!

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Max Gardner
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 02:48:51 AM »

Just amazing.  The lighting is dead on.  Ron Perlman is awesome.  It has pancakes, the Corpse, and lines like "That's all for you." About as close as humanly possible to capturing the look and character of the comic.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 07:53:10 PM »

Sounds like a good one. My daughter is going to see it tonight. She'll let me know.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 08:27:42 PM »

Brother R. and I were supposed to go see this one but I got dragged along by a few local friends and I must say, damn! this film kicked ass!

I kept wishing I had read the comics beforehand but nevertheless, it was a fun time.

Go see it!

Tilebreaker
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 01:16:58 AM »

I have no complaints about it. I thought it was a very good representation of the comic, without being the comic.  Ron pearlmen was great in it, he made you forget all the makeup.  Abe Sapien looked top notch too.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 03:48:51 AM »

Saw it twice this weekend, going again on Tuesday night, probably gonna see it some more after that.   Let's hope the vision of the Ogdru Jahad-ruled future is a little glimpse of what we'll see in the "Mountains of Madness" film Del Toro is planning now that Hellboy crushed the box office with the Right Hand of Doom.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 05:29:38 PM »

Brother Ragnarok wrote:

> Let's hope the
> vision of the Ogdru Jahad-ruled future is a little glimpse of
> what we'll see in the "Mountains of Madness" film Del Toro is
> planning now that Hellboy crushed the box office with the Right
> Hand of Doom.

No kidding.  That was the closest to perfect vision of a Lovecraftian apocalypse that has ever been committed to film!  Toro Toro!
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 08:25:40 AM »

I absolutely loved the flick.  Went with my wife and some friends over the weekend, and had a complete blast!

Ron Perlman was the perfect person to play Hellboy.  And, the costume for Hellboy was spot on.  Thankfully there actually was a little bit of character development throughout, but not too much.  

Only problem I had with it was the CGI.  I know that Del Toro is a big fan of CGI, but sometimes it seems overused.  You can also really tell that it was directed by Del Toro due to the fact that quite a bit of it looks very similar to Blade II.

I will say though, that one of the bad guys was completely awesome.  A bad guy who never says anything and *spoilers* has no eye lids or lips!?  And is a zombie!? *end spoilers*

On the downside though, the film did feel a little long eventhough it never really stopped with the action.  I also had a little problem with Abe Sapien.  Although the CGI of the character was nearly flawless, the voice kept bothering me.  Every time he spoke, I could only see Niles Crane from Fraiser being as David Hyde Pierce is both characters.  He did give Sapien a nice sophisticated demeanor though.

Overall it is a fantastic film, that is sure to be a classic among comic book and action fans.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 07:30:19 PM »

Actually Del Toro isn't that big a CGI fan.  He likes to use it only as a last resort, as an accent to practical effects.  They only (well, it's only for a movie like this) had $60 mil. and not a great deal of time to get this movie made, so they had to use more CGI, but it could have been a lot worse.  I give them heavy props for actually making Sammael primarily a suit effect.

Brother R

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 07:37:04 PM »

Actually Brother R., Hellboy was almost 6 years in the making!

Here's a quote from that article:

"In the end, it took almost six years to make this film. Through careful attention to detail in scripting, casting, and visual coordination, del Toro was able to guide "Hellboy" onto the screen, blending his vision with Mignola's creation."

Go here to read the entire article on Howstuffworks.com:  

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/hellboy.htm

Post Edited (04-06-04 19:46)
wuggles451
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 12:13:52 PM »

Being a big Hellboy fan i was extremely let down. I thought the lighting was all off, and the one-liners fell flat. It just moved from one CGI monster brawl to another, I just dont think the material translated well. Ron Pearlman, though, looked exactly like the comic book, so that is a plus. I thought there was one really amazing shot in the entire movie, that was when Hellboy was in the grave reviving the corpse. The detail was stunning if only the rest of the movie had been as enjoyable as those few frames.

trekgeezer

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 02:35:20 PM »

I really get tired of  this damned harping about  CG effects.  Nine tenths of CG effects are undetectable.  This doesn't  bother me as much as  knowing it's just a guy in a suit.  They did a very good job of  blending the two in this movie.

Effects don't bother me as much as having a crappy story, which Hellboy did not.  If I can't care about the characters,  I wouldn't care if they summoned up a real demon and had him play  one  the characters.  CG is here to stay so get used to it!

Tilebreaker
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 05:07:22 PM »

it's funny because if people weren't complaining about CGI then they'd complain about "the horrible rubber suit"
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 09:56:37 PM »

Funny, those "horrible" rubber suits were some of the best I've ever seen.  And ASH, it took a long time to get the movie to the screen because it took them forever to find a studio that would give them the control they desired.  It spent six years in development, but the actual shooting and post-prod effects time wasn't anywhere near six years.

Brother R

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
trekgeezer

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 10:29:29 PM »

They also took a big hit in the  budget because he want Perlman in lead.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hellboy, glorious Hellboy! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.