Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:34:09 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  MME=Movie Memory Eraser « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MME=Movie Memory Eraser  (Read 2584 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: April 09, 2004, 04:23:41 AM »

I watched the original "Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope" tonight (4-8-04) for the first time in at least a year.

I watched the original version in the 3 VHS tape pack that was released years ago with the original artwork on the box...the one released in the mid to late '80's before Lucas came out with his re-released versions that a lot of people do not care for.
My friend Jill reluctantly loaned them to me because they are probably worth some $$$ if presented to the right buyer.

While still good after countless viewings, I kept thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if there were a device that could temporarily erase any memory I have ever had of of this film so that when I put the tape or DVD in, it would be like a brand new film to me?
I could experience the utter fascination of seeing a movie like the original Star Wars for the first time!
It would be totally new to me!

It would be a device that I could press a few buttons on, put it on my head and within seconds, ALL the memories that I originally had of any viewing of ANY film that I so desired would be TEMPORARILY erased for a set period of time.

I imagine in my mind that it would look similar to the devices that Stallone & Sandra Bullock put on their heads to "have sex" in Demolition Man.
Devices that you would keep in a metal or wooden box to be brought out only when the time to use them arrives.
From within the confines of these boxes or cases, one would withdraw a silver metal thing that would wrap around the backside of your head that you could pre-program with a few simple instructions.

With these devices, any film that we've seen many times and love could actually be experienced for the first time as if they were brand new!

FIlms like Star Wars or even Dead Alive or whatever movie and our memories of having seen them before could be programmed into it and temporirarily erased.

Once pre-programmed, all memories of every viewing experience we ever had from whatever movie that was programmed into it would be restored after a preset time as long as we took the time to replace the device on our heads and let it do it's re-programming work to put the original memories back in.
If the device was not put back on your head, any memories of any original viewings would not be returned.

If you posessed such a device, what specific film would you use it on?

PLEASE NO LAUNDRY LISTS OF MOVIES!!!

Laundry list of films are too easy...and boring.

If you had such a device, name ONE special film that you love more than all others that you would use such a device for.
Think of the possibilities!

Post Edited (04-09-04 17:21)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 07:02:34 AM »

Thats an interesting idea Ash, one that was recenetly used in a movie called Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind.The movie stars Jim Carry as a man who wants to forget his recent relationship. While I have not seen the movie the idea is somewhat like what you have in mind.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 08:12:33 AM »

Fantastic idea Ash.  I believe that if I were to own such a device, I would use it with Fight Club.  I do believe that it would be nice to erase any memory of Tyler, Jack, and Marla from my mind and experience it again for the first time.  To be hit with the dark humor and satire again for the first time (huh?) would be completely priceless.

But, I don't think it is such a good idea with all films.  Sure Pulp Fiction was good the first time I watched it, but it keeps getting MUCH better every time I rewatch it.  

So, yes I think it is a good idea but I do believe that it would be a limited usage item.  Now if only there was a device to erase the REALLY bad films from my memory.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 01:08:37 PM »

The problem is that your 'first viewing' of the film would be seen through the eyes of someone who has now seen newer, better fx and derivative stories.  You'd be evaluating Star Wars not on its creative merits of when it was released, but through 2004 perspective.

That this may be an issue is evidenced by the fact that many 'young people' don't like Star Wars.  They think it is cheesy and with dumb effects.  They fail to factor into their judgement that many of the films they do like are in some fashion derivative.  This is similar to how folks in my generation (I'm 38) often lose site of the really good films in the 40's and 50's.  There's some really good stories there, but we often judge the movie based on today's look and feel.

Stephen King wrote about this phenomenon in "Danse of the Macabre," his nonfiction analysis of the horror genre of short stories,  books, movies and tv.

Anyway, having said that, I can think of two fairly recent movies that moved me very much the first time I saw them.  The first is White Squall.  The second is StarGate.  If I had to choose between them, I'd have to pick StarGate.  The first time I saw it, I was utterly entranced by the story - the creative way several popular theories of the pyramids (and ancient Egypt) were melded together.  It was a surprise to me, a total surprise, since I don't think I had ever even seen a trailer when we saw it - saw the poster on the movie house wall and said "that looks interesting, let's go see that next time."  I hope I never forget the sheer joy of watching that story unfold.

One thing, though .. I would not want the device set up to permanently erase the memory of that first time if I happened to forget to put it back on to restore the memories.  I mean, if my memory of the first time had been erased, I would not know I needed to put it on the restore what I had forgot had happened.  Whew.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Brock
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 02:35:55 PM »

I just saw "The Crying Game" for the first time and I wish I could have seen it before the twist was spoiled for everyone.  It was a really good movie, but it would have been better if the surprise had actually been a surprise.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 05:23:10 PM »

Actually Nick, that's where I came up with this idea although I'll bet someone somewhere else has already thought of it before me.

I was reading some reviews of Eternal Sunshine and thought that would be a neat little device to have.

wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 06:30:41 PM »

> That this may be an issue is evidenced by the fact that many
> 'young people' don't like Star Wars.  They think it is cheesy
> and with dumb effects.  They fail to factor into their
> judgement that many of the films they do like are in some
> fashion derivative.  This is similar to how folks in my
> generation (I'm 38) often lose site of the really good films in
> the 40's and 50's.  There's some really good stories there, but
> we often judge the movie based on today's look and feel.

Wait! There are kids now days who don't like the orginal Star Wars movies!! WHAT THE f**k! All right I need some good strong fellows with baseball bats to find these kids and give them the ass whopping they deserve.

Smells like popcorn and shame
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2004, 07:15:25 AM »

Would be a great device for favourite movies you want to show to friends. Then you could really share the experience with them, rather than sitting there knowing what's happening and watching for their reaction.

Also nice if temptation gets the best of you, and you slip out to an opening-day matinee of a movie you promised to see with someone else.

Still, the best use I can think of would be to erase all memory of trailers and TV spots that gave away too much of the movie, reviews that skewed your expectations, and any word of mouth you might have heard. That would be a rare pleasure - to go into a great movie knowing absolutely nothing about it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 06:36:06 PM »

I would totally do this with Memento. That way I would be living Leonard Shelby's life and everyone around me who says "Noodle, I told you how that ended YESTERDAY!" would seem nuts to me. hehehe

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
dean
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 09:55:05 AM »

>>That would be a rare pleasure - to go into a great movie knowing absolutely nothing about it.

I did that already when I went and saw 'Wrong Turn'.

It didn't turn out as well as expected...

Also btw I went and saw Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, and it's really good.  Everyone go see it.  No explanations, no 'I liked it because' and no questions, just go see it! :-P
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 10:16:59 AM »

I must agree with Dean, Eternal Sunshine was a fantastic movie.  And since he said no explanations, I'll leave it there.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 10:44:21 AM »

I would use it on THE GODFATHER.  I still have memories of the first time I saw that movie (at the drive-in when I was 8 years old).  I have now seen it at least 50 times, but the first time was a GREAT experience.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  MME=Movie Memory Eraser « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.