Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:35:21 AM
714522 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cheesy Movies Your Wife Likes « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cheesy Movies Your Wife Likes  (Read 1846 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: April 27, 2004, 12:27:32 PM »

OK, I think a fair number of us have spouses who do not exactly share our taste in movies. My wife is no exception. She understands the appeal of bad movies, and has the right sarcastic sense of humour for it, but historical dramas and highbrow romantic comedies are more her thing. She's moderately interested in sci-fi, fantasy and old-fashioned adventure, likes big-budget superheroes, doesn't mind the artistically weird, but hates horror. She has been known to enjoy a good, cheesy 50s shlockfest, Elvis movie or blaxploitation flick, and gets a kick out of MST. I've even been able to impress her with some of the more visually stunning anime. Still, I'm finding that it's getting harder to sell her on a b-movie for movie night.

The question is, what b-movies have your wives and girlfriends enjoyed, much to your surprise?

Mainly, I'm looking for a diverse list of films to try on Lori, ones that she might enjoy, and that might also help her to discover a genre she would like to explore further. I'm also interested in some of your experiences in attempting to share your hobby with your significant other.

Post Edited (04-27-04 14:54)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
rich andrini
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 01:53:07 PM »

certain anime has always shocked most ladies ive shown it to. thier perspective changes "from its just a cartoon" to "wow that better than most movies ive seen". other times iam called immature  cause its a cartoon or something like that. so i guess its real a mixed bag. so here the rundown of anime ive shown women that haved awed them:

tokyo godfathers
kai doh maru
jin-roh
grave of the fireflies
millennium actress

all of these are very dramatic and are not that far out or scifi anime. there pretty down to earth.

"Dont be a fool for ur tool"
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 02:06:58 PM »

Try your wife out on some Chobits anime.  Fantastic, beautiful and hilarious anime

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
maria paula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 03:30:10 PM »

well, i dont have a wife but am a girl and maybe i can help :)
have u tried it with all "hammer´s" productions?? i think some of them are really very good b movies, and some of them mix a bit of  horror,comedy and romantic stuff, specially the ones based upon the edgar allan poe  tales   and they are better if the classy vincent price is in them.
highly recomended "the monster club" i think its also  a hammer production, one of my favorites.
hope i have helped a bit :)

Post Edited (04-27-04 17:54)

pauli
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 08:51:48 PM »

Katie really likes all the cheesy music and/or dance movies.  "Breakin" and "Can't Stop the Music" are gold to her.  She also loves "The Dark Power."  It was something about the heroic Lash LaRue fighting an undead sorcerer with his whip that just made her crack up.

Also, funny thing, she thought "Neon Maniacs" was a laugh riot.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Bgrade
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 09:00:10 PM »

I have better luck when I stick to those on the edge of normal or mainstream.

My wife liked-
The Prophecy (christopher walken)
The Frighteners
Army of Darkness.
Night of the living dead.
Leon.

It has to have some  production values

Anything too wierd and she losses interest.
Anything too violent she finds pointless.
Anything with too much nudity she finds to have too much nudity.

I general she is also more likely to watch them when my friends are also around instead of watching them just with me.
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 09:39:11 PM »

My wife likes Friday the 13th 1, 2,3,4, 6 and freddy vs. jason.

She also surprised me by liking Cradle 2 the grave - but it was mainly because of the little girl.

One thing that probably helped me decide to date her (little knowing we'd be married) is the fact that she loved the movie Sleepaway Camp. We both had the exact same reaction to that ending, and I have never met a woman who's seen it before.

Her usual fare is shows - NYPD Blue, ER, and most recently it's been CSI, since I went on a box set kick.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 10:48:54 PM »

My wife and I have watched bad movies, more horror than sci fi, since our very first date.  First Date Description:

Going to the shooting range to shoot handguns.
To my apartment to clean guns.
To her apartment where she cooked me lasagna (the homemade from scratch kind, guys)
Kicked back at her apartment and watched "Pledge Night" (though I am not sure which version..both are the same story line) and a Stephen King movie (possibly Sleepwalkers, I cannot remember).  Funny how we both remember watching Pledge Night and can still quote from it, but don't remember which SK movie was watched!!

We mostly have the same taste in movies.  Have worn out VHS's of Airplane, Hunt for Red October and some others.  She also likes action/adventure movies (for example, Ahhhnold).  Now, we are mostly into kids movies (Monsters, Inc, Shrek, Veggie Tales, a bunch of Disney stuff) that we can watch with our very young daughter (hehe, she has shown signs of liking bad horror flicks, too...on vacation in Feb, in the motel one night, she LOVED watching Komodo II.  There's something about a 18 month old saying "Uh oh" when a giant komodo is trashing a car on the tv).

Because for the last two years we have not been able to rent/go see very few movies (her work schedule is murder, so our down time is stretched between a lot of things), movie night when we get one is less likely to go to b-movies than it used to.  Plus, around here, it has gotten hard to find good b-flicks.  The Blockbuster we go to has less than one row of horror, and that's 'mainstream' and b combined.  It's truly pathetic.

I am very fortunate in this respect, too.  I *HATE* chick flicks.  When she gets the hankerin to see a chick flick (pretty much any modern movie labeled 'drama'), she does not even ask me to go see it or rent it.  She waits until the opportunity arises to watch it with some other females.   It's the little things that remind you you have a match made in heaven.

Post Edited (04-27-04 22:57)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 08:43:05 AM »

Cheesy music and dance movies are definitely a hit with Lori too. I recall that Breakin' was on the B-fest lineup the year we went, and she loved it. She's also developed quite a liking for Elvis movies. Ann-Margret's dancing in Viva Las Vegas has become a benchmark by which all other slightly chaotic dancers are measured.

Hadn't thought about cheesy old westerns. It's an area I haven't really explored much myself, but it might be worth a try. Lori did enjoy Jesse James vs. Frankenstein's Daughter. Is The Dark Power easy to come by?

---------------------
odinn7

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 01:06:37 PM »

Unfortunately for me, my wife doesn't like most of my choices for movies. There is no rhyme or reason to anything that she likes but her favorite movie is "The Apple". Does this tell you anything? We don't have much in common when it comes to movies. Come to think of it, we don't have much in common at all...I think I'll look into a divorce...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 01:25:49 PM »

Our problem is only partly due to differing tastes. She sees movies as something to do when there's nothing else to do. It's just vegging out. She likes movies less frequently, and she's pretty choosy. I see movies as a hobby. While she understands and supports this, it doesn't help when she's talking me into renting Mona Lisa Smile while I'm in a John Carpenter kind of mood.

Kind of ironic that the first movie we saw together was Highlander. Nothing like curling up on the couch and watching Clancy Brown try to chop off Christopher Lambert's head. Come to think of it, our first vacation together was to B-Fest.

Then again, I always wore clean socks and said please and thank you when we were dating.

---------------------
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 08:58:56 PM »

AndyC wrote:

>  Is The Dark Power easy to come by?

Honestly, it is not.  I know that it was released on DVD over in England sometime back in what I heard was a region-free DVD, so that might help.  I have an old VHS that I picked up from either a video liquidator or a store going out of business.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Bgrade
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 11:22:50 PM »

AndyC wrote:

> Kind of ironic that the first movie we saw together was
> Highlander. Nothing like curling up on the couch and watching
> Clancy Brown try to chop off Christopher Lambert's head. Come
> to think of it, our first vacation together was to B-Fest.
>
> Then again, I always wore clean socks and said please and thank
> you when we were dating.

Being Married has greatly increased my ability to wear clean socks.

They magically appear in my dresser
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cheesy Movies Your Wife Likes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.