Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:22:36 AM
714514 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Question about Gerald's Game « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OT: Question about Gerald's Game  (Read 1013 times)
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« on: May 19, 2004, 01:59:21 PM »

Okay, I finished the book early this morning during a bout of insomnia. Though, I was tired, I got the basics. One thing I missed...what happened to the dog? Can someone help me out?

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 03:36:35 PM »

you know i've always meant to read this book due to my curiousity in S & M, although i have a feeling reading it will permanently destroy any interest in it period!
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 03:56:11 PM »

Well, Chopper, even though my mind was clouded by sleep deprivation, it was a good read. I finished it in one sitting and managed to grasp most everything...still, don't know what happened to the stinkin' dog!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
nobody
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 04:11:18 PM »

I was never a big Stephen King fan, but I did give him several chances to win me over. I've read many of his books. The only one I really liked, and ended up reading twice, was "The Mist" (the first short story that appears in "Skeleton Crew"). I tried reading "Gerald's Game" but gave up midway out of boredom.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 04:37:44 PM »

"The Mist" is definitely one of the two or three pieces of King's work that actually impressed me.   His non-fiction writing is very good too - far better than most of his novels.

Umm, yeah, the dog - I don't remember!  I read it, but it was a while back.  I hope somebody tells us all soon...

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 05:12:42 PM »

Right, this is killing me...I have to leave for work soon and there is no way I can effectively protect the citizenry and property of my fair city...without knowing what happened to the friggin' dog!!

DJ
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 08:11:20 PM »

Deej,

Wish I could help out with your delima, but it has been many years since I read this book; probably about 5 by my estimation.  I only remember tid bits.  A glass of water, a guy with a bag of bones, etc.  

Very good book as memory serves, tied very closely to Deloris Clairborne.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 11:20:39 PM »

I just happen to be reading it now.

I'm at the part in the beginning when she kicks her husband over backwards and kills him.

I'll try to figure out what happens to the dog but it may be awhile since I'm still near the beginning of the book.

JohnL

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 01:09:33 AM »

>you know i've always meant to read this book due to my curiousity in S & M,
>although i have a feeling reading it will permanently destroy any interest in it
>period!

There isn't really any S&M in it. The husband likes to restrain his wife, so he handcuffs her to the bed. She's not into it, gets p**sed off, kicks him over backwards and he ends up dead, leaving her cuffed to the bed. The rest of the book is devoted to her efforts to survive and free herself.

If you're interested in S&M, might I suggest reading Exit to Eden or the Beauty series by Ann Rice? I've never read them myself, but they're supposed to be pretty good. Also, if you'd like to watch it instead of reading, check out the newgroup alt.binaries.multimedia.bdsm.

Not a bad book, but it seems like King didn't have enough faith in this idea to carry the story, so he had to add a new danger that just shows up out of the blue. I also had some problems with his description of her situation. Anyone not wanting to read spoilers should skip the next paragraph.

Spoilers...

Each of her hands is cuffed to a bedpost while her legs are free. There's a shelf over the head of the bed which is simply resting on the support brackets. According to the book's description, she can reach the shelf with her hands and tilt it to get things to slide to either hand, but she can't see what's on the shelf. Unless the shelf sticks out quite a ways from the wall, I don't see how this is possible. If she can reach it with her hands, she could just sit up, lean forward and have the shelf behind her neck where she could see what's on it. If the shelf does stick out that far, they'd be whacking their heads on it when they got up in the morning. It also says that her hands were cuffed too far down on the bedposts for her to chance bringing her legs up and flipping over the headboard. She thought that because her hands were cuffed so far below the top of the headboard that she would end up breaking her arms. This was the first thing I thought of and I can't help wondering, if her hands were fastened that far down, how is she able to reach the shelf, which is above the headboard?

>Right, this is killing me...I have to leave for work soon and there is no way I can
>effectively protect the citizenry and property of my fair city...without knowing what
>happened to the friggin' dog!!

Sorry, it's been so long since I read it, I don't remember what happened to the dog.

>Very good book as memory serves, tied very closely to Deloris Clairborne.

I thought so too.
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 01:34:56 AM »

I just loaned this book to a friend. It has been so long that I can't remember.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 07:54:35 AM »

hey John thanks for the info. i've seen a few documentaries on the subject but have never sat down with much of the literature relating to it. and i promise this post is not a lame attempt to meet a kinky chick on the net (e-mail address above-contact me!!!).
JohnL

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 09:07:34 AM »

>hey John thanks for the info.

No problem. :)
twsmith
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 01:29:16 AM »

SPOILERS

You mean Prince?

Killed by Constable Teagarden.
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 02:02:54 AM »

twsmith wrote:
> SPOILERS
> >
>
>
>
> You mean Prince?
>
> Killed by Constable Teagarden.

Oh...p**ser! I was hoping he'd somehow got away. Thanks twsmith!

DJ
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Question about Gerald's Game « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.