Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:16:59 PM
715191 Posts in 53126 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TARGETS (1968) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TARGETS (1968)  (Read 897 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 23, 2004, 09:35:01 AM »

After all these years, I finally got to see this movie.  It was worth the wait.

I bought the DVD at a cheap price and watched it yesterday.

The plot involves 2 parallel story lines that come together at the end:

1.  Boris Karloff stars as an old horror movie star who wants to retire;
2.  Tim O'Kelly stars as a clean-cut young man who buys an arsenal of rifles, pistols, and ammo and goes on a shooting spree.

The movie was directed by Peter Bogdanovich (THE LAST PICTURE SHOW, WHAT'S UP DOC, etc.)  It is a very well-made, low-budget thriller.  I highly recommend it.

The DVD includes an interesting interview with Bogdanovich.  He explains how the film was made.  He had worked on another film as an assistant to Roger Corman.  Apparently, Corman called him and asked him if he would like to direct his own movie.  Corman told him that Boris Karloff owed him 2 days of work, so he wanted to film about 20 minutes worth of scenes with Karloff, then insert about 20 minutes worth of scenes from the movie THE TERROR, and then fill in the rest of the running time with new scenes.  So, it started out as another of Corman's "hit and run, paste-up" movies, but it turned into a minor classic.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, you should add it to your "movies to watch" list.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 11:52:32 PM »

I've heard of Peter Bogdanovich and have wanted to see any of his good films.

THE TERROR is a cheapy but a goody !  Starring Jack Nicholson and Boris Karloff. Fans of low budget films will like this one. How about those styraphone rocks as the mansion/castle crumbles? You have to like that in a film. Fun stuff.

Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 12:56:53 PM »

You know Burgo thank you for reminding me of this film. I'll have to find it and rent it because i've wanted to see it for the longest time but couldn't find a video store that carried it. I've always liked Bogdanovich's other films, the Last Picture Show is one of the greatest bittersweet films made.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 05:33:33 PM »

Chopper:

Forget renting it.  You can buy the widescreen DVD, which even has "extras" on it, for only $5.99!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 12:25:03 PM »

If one is a fan of Boris Karloff, it is definitely worth seeing, as it give Karloff, in his later career as an actor, one of his best roles.

There again, like a number of films, it is based on a true incident. This time the Charles Whitman sniper shootings at the University of Texas in Austin in 1966.

The actual story itself was made into a made-for-television movie called  "The Deadly Tower," w/ Kurt Russell playing Charles Whitman. Of course, the accuracy of that movie itself is somewhat questionable.

kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 02:16:50 PM »

It's both one of Karloff's best AND Bogdonavich's best.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TARGETS (1968) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.