Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:59:33 AM
715450 Posts in 53138 Topics by 7762 Members
Latest Member: HoustonJac
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Stupid Q tricks. Bad Secret agent tool. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stupid Q tricks. Bad Secret agent tool.  (Read 895 times)
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 07, 2004, 03:32:27 PM »

I was thinking about the Matt Helm series this week...likely cause i saw a Dean Martin movie ad on TCM...and i remembered a thing on Helm's car in, i think it was The Ambushers?
Well...he had an electronic scrolling sign on the bumper of his car.
While the bad guys were chaseing him...he gets on a micrphone, and says, "If you can read this, your too close." And it prints out on the sign.
Uh huh....

So....this is usefull to a secret agent in WHAT way?

Soooooo...
Any other bone headed ideas from "Q" branch that spring to mind?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Yaddo42
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 08:22:41 PM »

You've got to remember the Matt Helm movies were spoofs of the Bond films as well a Dean Martin sending up his image as a lightweight drunken playboy. YOu can't take them seriously for a second, they are closer to the Derek Flint films or the much later Austin Powers spoofs than real Bond films. The gadgets were always over the top (the inflatable tent with all the comforts of home including minifridge and bed just perfect for Helm to seduce yet another babe) or too specialized to be useful except in a movie where scenes would be definitely written for their use later (like the 45. automatic that shot a round backwards toward the firer).

My favorite Helm gadget was the leather belt that became rigid and hard as steel when wet. Never mind what might happen if Helm fell into a pool while wearing it. The scene of the belt stiffening and straightening once Helm soaks it in water is just so funny, since I can't help but wonder how they got it past the censors considering the imagery it invokes. Hell, I feel dirty after just writing this paragraph.
C Reynolds
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 04:00:40 PM »

Q from the Bond films seems to spend a large proportion of his department's budget constructing gadgets to spy on Bond having sex after he's completed a mission.
Most Peeping Toms just use binoculars for this sort of thing, but Q makes sure to come up with increasingly outlandish gadgets for the purpose. Of these gadgets the most ridiculous was that robot dog on wheels with a camera in its head that appeared at the end of "A View to a Kill". When would something like that ever come in useful for proper spying?
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 05:32:54 PM »

Yaddo42...yeah, i see yer point, but still, some ideas in the real films get...strange.
"Dethoblaster?" Sure...theroeticly....but if you confuse the CD player with the self destruct....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Stupid Q tricks. Bad Secret agent tool. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.